PAC 12: Will It Survive?

UNTLifer

13 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Okay fine. I will sign UNT up for the PAC-12 and take the lowly $16 million per year.

I'm not sure I get why the conference collapses.  Sure $16 big ones a year isn't what each school is used to, but it's soooo little that the conference can't survive?  I guess they should just all give up football entirely.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, keith said:

I'm not sure I get why the conference collapses.  Sure $16 big ones a year isn't what each school is used to, but it's soooo little that the conference can't survive?  I guess they should just all give up football entirely.

The problem isn't the lowered pay out, it's that schools might actually bail if the payout is that low. This could create a domino affect where one or two teams leave, lowering the deal even more, which then makes others leave, etc. This could be a very quick and nasty collapse if it all goes bad. 

$16m would be almost half of the next lowest P5, the ACC* that gets $30.9m a year. The Big12 get $43m a year, you can bet that the AZ, CO, and UT schools are going to jump if they have a chance. 

(correction, I wish the AAC payed out $30m 😆)

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Green Otaku said:

$16m would be almost half of the next lowest P5, the AAC that gets $30.9m a year. The Big12 get $43m a year, you can bet that the AZ, CO, and UT schools are going to jump if they have a chance. 

And the Big 12 payout would go up is they get UA, ASU, UT and CU which makes jumping even more tempting!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

And the Big 12 payout would go up is they get UA, ASU, UT and CU which makes jumping even more tempting!

I'd be interested in what was being talked about behind the scenes. I'm sure the Big12 has crunched the numbers on what bringing in 2 to 4 of those schools would do. The Big12 could have struck after UCLA/USC was announced, but I wonder if they held off, or if the remaining schools wanted to wait and see what happens in the PAC? 

From what I have read the Big 12 walked away from a complete merger of the remaining 10 programs because there was no financial benefit to them. I also read the the Big 10 was told that the addition of Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and Washington would not significantly increase the conference's value to warrant their addition. However, the author suggested that these 4 programs would probably join for less than a full share which would be more that the PAC 12 can pay. If they do, look for Utah,Colorado, Arizona and ASU to apply for Big 12 membership leaving WSU and OSU joining the MWC.

4 hours ago, keith said:

Is UCLA even going to be allowed to leave?  ESPN low-balled them on the first bid.  We will need to see if it's the last.

UCLA will leave.  The CAL System policy in place at the time of the decision was that each campus Prez could decide athletic issues, even conference membership.  The System BOR has since tried to modify the policy, but UCLA getting 50M/yr in the BIG10 vs staying and getting only 20M/yr won't fly either.

The low-ball PAC offers from media will cause some PAC schools to listen to BIG12 offers.  Some PAC schools will leave, but the PAC name is still an asset and some MWC schools will be invited to keep it full and alive.  After that, the MWC will be next up to reload or bail.  Not much to choose from out west.

• Upvote 1