2-4 SMU Players Will Sit Out Rest of Season, Enter Portal

rcade

4 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I mean it kind of is isn't it?  Would be nice if you guys could make this is a game once every seven or eight years.  Hoping the next coach can make it a bit more competitive.

We get so many opportunities to do so, in the AAC together.  Aren't you so glad you didn't get invited anywhere else?  It's amazing that no one else wanted you.  *hugs*

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

I mean it kind of is isn't it?  Would be nice if you guys could make this is a game once every seven or eight years.  Hoping the next coach can make it a bit more competitive.

I remember AMG Mercedes saying the same shit to Red Bull and Ferrari in Formula 1. They kept saying that hopefully the two would "make it a challenge" for the Constructors Title and the Driver's Championship. 

They aren't saying that anymore. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:33 AM, Old Denton said:

Ditto Ewers at Ohio St, took someone's money and ran off to Austin.  Someday, some kid's gonna do that to the wrong booster.

The Sopranos Hbo GIF

That's funny but it's also disturbing. The kind of people throwing money at student athletes via NIL could be shady or worse. And I'm not just talking about Rick Villareal.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rcade said:

That's funny but it's also disturbing. The kind of people throwing money at student athletes via NIL could be shady or worse. And I'm not just talking about Rick Villareal.

It will all change when some young man is killed driving a car he otherwise would not have if it were not for NIL.  Sure, it could have happened regardless of NIL, but it will be linked to NIL relentlessly in the press  and the powers-that-be will feign ignorance  with "we had no idea this is how NIL was being implemented" and they will be forced to take action.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, keith said:

It will all change when some young man is killed driving a car he otherwise would not have if it were not for NIL.

Maybe if it was some crazy expensive and powerful sportscar, but I was thinking more of the possibility of an NIL moneyman who has sponsored an athlete for several years leaning on him in a Black Sox scenario.

• Thanks 1

if they are scholarships they are fools to leave.  Their chance of making the NFL is slim at best.  You get your education and living expenses paid for plus 36K a year in salary.  I live on 10k of that since they are providing housing for the players, eat their food and bank the rest so when I graduate I have some money to start my life.  Plus a SMUT degree looks good to people.

Maybe they got fired?

On 10/4/2022 at 9:33 AM, Old Denton said:

Ditto Ewers at Ohio St, took someone's money and ran off to Austin.  Someday, some kid's gonna do that to the wrong booster.

The Sopranos Hbo GIF

His big deal was with a national sports agency, not something tied to OSU.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1