2-4 SMU Players Will Sit Out Rest of Season, Enter Portal

rcade

Here's a new wrinkle on the anything goes era of college football: SMU sophomore wide receiver Roderick Daniels Jr. and senior safety Chace Cromartie will sit out the rest of the season so they can redshirt this year and then enter the transfer portal.

Sophomore safety Isaiah Nwokobia and sophomore wide receiver Jayleen Record are reportedly planning to do the same.

https://www.on3.com/teams/smu-mustangs/news/smu-football-expected-without-multiple-contributors/

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2022/10/03/sources-multiple-smu-players-to-sit-out-the-rest-of-season-enter-transfer-portal/

Do they still get their $36,000?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, rcade said:

Here's a new wrinkle on the anything goes era of college football: SMU sophomore wide receiver Roderick Daniels Jr. and senior safety Chace Cromartie will sit out the rest of the season so they can redshirt this year and then enter the transfer portal.

Sophomore safety Isaiah Nwokobia and sophomore wide receiver Jayleen Record are reportedly planning to do the same.

https://www.on3.com/teams/smu-mustangs/news/smu-football-expected-without-multiple-contributors/

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2022/10/03/sources-multiple-smu-players-to-sit-out-the-rest-of-season-enter-transfer-portal/

Do they still get their $36,000?

$12,000

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 2

This was anticipated based on the four game rule and the fact that these four young men were not making much (if any) contributions on the field.  They can now transfer without losing a year of eligibility and opens up SMU's second NIL group that specifically targets transfers to start thinking about where to best allocate our resources.

We wish them the best of luck and yes they will continue to be paid their NIL until they've left campus.  That's the least SMU can do for them.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

This was anticipated based on the four game rule and the fact that these four young men were not making much (if any) contributions on the field.  They can now transfer without losing a year of eligibility and opens up SMU's second NIL group that specifically targets transfers to start thinking about where to best allocate our resources.

We wish them the best of luck and yes they will continue to be paid their NIL until they've left campus.  That's the least SMU can do for them.

Question:  Do these players who drop out on a team owe anything back to the losing University .  I.e, do they lose any further scholarship opportunities or not get part of their NIL cash ?   Or do the losing schools just...lose their investment?

2 hours ago, cogido said:

Question:  Do these players who drop out on a team owe anything back to the losing University .  I.e, do they lose any further scholarship opportunities or not get part of their NIL cash ?   Or do the losing schools just...lose their investment?

The school isn’t the party paying them NIL money

• Upvote 5

This is a terrible trend. If it wasn’t SMU, most of the folks in this group would be commenting on how bad it is. I for one find these kids behavior disgusting and I’m sure I’m not alone in that. 
The idea behind NIL was companies could pay to use the players names as endorsements or in games because other people wanted to be associated with players. I’m not sure who wants to be associated with quitters. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

40 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

This is a terrible trend. If it wasn’t SMU, most of the folks in this group would be commenting on how bad it is. I for one find these kids behavior disgusting and I’m sure I’m not alone in that.

If they're not getting playing time at SMU and don't think that will change, I'd call it mercenary, not disgusting.

College football is a take-care-of-number-one world. If the rule is bad then it should be changed, but while it is place players can be like coaches, who never let loyalty to their current school or players override self benefit.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cogido said:

NIL deals can't be tied to performance in the sport. LSU quarterback Myles Brennan signed deals with a car dealership, Raising Canes, Smoothie King, GameCoin and Small Sliders in 2021. He never played a game after that and quit football in August. He keeps all the money:

As part of the stipulations of NIL, Brennan needed to provide his endorsement to receive the money, which he did, but the rules don’t require him to actually play. NIL regulations also disallow performance incentives or benchmarks in any deal.

In fact, Brennan would have still been able to keep the money if, five days after he signed all the deals, he left LSU.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/general/lsu-qb-myles-brennans-retirement-could-slow-speed-breadth-of-nil-deals-across-college-football

• Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, rcade said:

NIL deals can't be tied to performance in the sport. LSU quarterback Myles Brennan signed deals with a car dealership, Raising Canes, Smoothie King, GameCoin and Small Sliders in 2021. He never played a game after that and quit football in August. He keeps all the money:

https://www.actionnetwork.com/general/lsu-qb-myles-brennans-retirement-could-slow-speed-breadth-of-nil-deals-across-college-football

Ditto Ewers at Ohio St, took someone's money and ran off to Austin.  Someday, some kid's gonna do that to the wrong booster.

The Sopranos Hbo GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1