Wisconsin's Paul Chryst (67-26) is available

NT80

Wisconsin has fired coach Paul Chryst after the team's 2-3 start.

The decision to fire Chryst came Sunday, a day after Wisconsin lost 34-10 to Illinois, coached by former Badgers coach Bret Bielema. 

Chryst, 56, finishes 67-26 in seven-plus seasons at Wisconsin, his alma mater. He won 10 games or more in four of his first five seasons with the Badgers, winning a Cotton Bowl, an Orange Bowl and three Big Ten West Division titles. But the program fell off beginning in 2020, going 4-3, before a slow start to the 2021 season, in which the Badgers finished 9-4.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34714751/wisconsin-fires-football-coach-paul-chryst-sources-say

• Upvote 4

I don’t trust P5 fallbacks that have never thrived below the upper tier P5 level. Show me you can win recruiting and on-field battles when you don’t have legacy and P5 prestige to sell. Plus almost every nonconference game they play is a money game for the team coming to play them. Easy to pad the win total that way.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

28 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t trust P5 fallbacks that have never thrived below the upper tier P5 level. Show me you can win recruiting and on-field battles when you don’t have legacy and P5 prestige to sell. Plus almost every nonconference game they play is a money game for the team coming to play them. Easy to pad the win total that way.

I'm not going to ever rule anyone out completely, but when I prioritize what kind of candidates I want for the UNT job, the guys that come from P5s with zero G5 experience are WAAAAAAY down on the bottom.  Some of them might as well be walking onto a distant planet, the resources and cultures are so vastly different...and they have never witnesses that difference.

• Upvote 8
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Maybe. but the guy was winning at .72. This is a quality coach and the firing shows the school who is delusional about what Wisconsin can be. I can however also imagine him wnating to go back to the NFL where you do not need to recruit.

Reminds me of when FIU fired Cristobal. Nothing better ever came after. He however did ok at Oregon (not sure he will in Miami, but Miami is likely also delusional about what it is).

Edited by outoftown

49 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Maybe. but the guy was winning at .72. This is a quality coach and the firing shows the school who is delusional about what Wisconsin can be. I can however also imagine him wnating to go back to the NFL where you do not need to recruit.

Reminds me of when FIU fired Cristobal. Nothing better ever came after. He however did ok at Oregon (not sure he will in Miami, but Miami is likely also delusional about what it is).

Wisconsin was already good when he got the job. He is not a program builder. Unless you want to continue on the same path Seth has us on, we need a program builder.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

52 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Wisconsin was already good when he got the job. He is not a program builder. Unless you want to continue on the same path Seth has us on, we need a program builder.

I think I'm crazy: I honestly think we have some incredible pieces in place.  We just have a coaching staff that can't get them quite where they need to be.  A half inch off, and/or one less footwork drill is all it takes for the wheels to come off.  Clean that up and we are gold.

I guess if anything had a lot more work to do, it would be at the QB position.

To recap: a guy that can come in, breathe some fresh air and inspiration, correct those half-inches, and develop solid play at the QB position.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I think I'm crazy: I honestly think we have some incredible pieces in place.  We just have a coaching staff that can't get them quite where they need to be.  A half inch off, and/or one less footwork drill is all it takes for the wheels to come off.  Clean that up and we are gold.

To recap: a guy that can come in, breathe some fresh air and inspiration, correct those half-inches, and develop solid play at the QB position.

You aren’t crazy. We are close. I half-think if Seth can clean a few things up this season we have a legit shot at the conference title. My main point was that we don’t have the history of winning to sell or build on that a place like Wisconsin has. The coach to do it would have to be a special one who has the tenacity to fight through our history of failing and rise above it. I initially thought Seth was that guy but unless he pulls off a miracle stretch it’ll need to be someone else.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

NT is not at the bottom right now. It doesn't need to be torn down to the studs. The cupboard is not bare. NT just is not going upward (and it does not look like it will with the current coach). All it really needs is a coach who is better at in-game adjustment, QB development and redzone scheeming. Also: NTs resources may not be P5, but they are not at all at the bottom of its conference. In fact they probably are in many ways what a P5 staff looked like 10-15 years ago.

That said, I am not so sure he will be available for G5. If i am Colorado (who has an opening and needs someone to stabilize the program) i might consider him. Also, if I were him i would think about going to the NFL, where you do not have to recruit (he did fairly ok in that regard though).

Edited by outoftown

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Can anyone rationally explain why Seth will not hire a legitimate QB coach? 

He tried to.   3 different times after Harrell left.   

All of them (for whatever reasons) were abject failures:
    Bodie Reeder
    Tate Wallis
    Blake Joseph

If I understand correctly, after 3 strikes, you're out.   
Just go get the best available coach you can get.   Clements is a pretty good get.   
Fortunately, it means we now have 2 really good OL coaches on board.   One of them happens to be a pretty bright Xs & Os guy in the Briles tree, so he gets to call plays and be the "QBs Coach" too.

For intents & purposes, we have 2 "QBs coaches", via analysts Cole Johnson & Quinn Shanbour.   Definitely not the best way to do it, but again, I'd rather have Clements than have Littrell somehow find another bum QBs coach (which he definitely would have).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

For us to be close, here's what we need:

1.) Keep players here--very few portal losses

2.) Gotta find a QB that can actually perform in games against teams we care about (i.e., SMU)

3.) Can recruit TX HS talent AND get people here from the portal.

Biggest worry I have is the lack of NIL to compete with the big NILs at the AAC privates...because that thing will not only keep us from getting decent talent in the future, but its gonna completely fleece us of the talent we actually have here already.

It will be interesting to see the next few years unfold under NIL rules.

Schools can compensate players that would normally be past/beyond the scholarship limit.
But schools, no matter how much money you have, still haver a roster limit.

talent will be hyper focused to the top, but there are tons of HS players out there that want to play.  What will the talent look like across the AAC? The G5?

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

For us to be close, here's what we need:

1.) Keep players here--very few portal losses

2.) Gotta find a QB that can actually perform in games against teams we care about (i.e., SMU)

3.) Can recruit TX HS talent AND get people here from the portal.

Biggest worry I have is the lack of NIL to compete with the big NILs at the AAC privates...because that thing will not only keep us from getting decent talent in the future, but its gonna completely fleece us of the talent we actually have here already.

i think #1 is a moving target, i think most schools will see between 7-10 players enter the portal for the foreseeable future, i think being able to keep your 'top' players is the goal. but honestly, this probably goes above and beyond just the coach... if our best DE could enter the portal and A&M offers him a $25K salary, he would be an idiot not to look into it

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

We need to come back to Chryst. The guy is relatively young, has had significant success at P5 (over 6.5 seasons, so obviously he can recruit) and, probably most importantly for our purposes WINS BOWL GAMES (7-2)

image.png.4f778cde83899d1e6a8655116ab91797.png

For me, he's a more-successful Dan McCarney.     I don't know that he would know what to do here at UNT where we aren't nearly as funded, or as followed as Pitt or Wisconsin.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For me, he's a more-successful Dan McCarney.     I don't know that he would know what to do here at UNT where we aren't nearly as funded, or as followed as Pitt or Wisconsin.

I tend to agree, but I think at the end of the day, if you put a good football mind in the position, the wins, the funding, the following and the overall support follows. He's not a program builder, I'll give you that, but building a program starts with wins.

Dispite the fact that Hurley would not even fly the state flag at Fouts for some reason, this is TEXAS.  A guy from Wisconsin has a zero chance of traveling in the circles he needs to travel in in TEXAS.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

I mean i like him and i thought them firing him was a pretty poor decision…although they did get Fickell so maybe not? But as much as i do like him, im not sure how he’d do at UNT. He coached in Texas 1991-1992 as a position coach for something called the San Antonio Riders and otherwise has no experience down here and definitely has no major recruiting experience here. And as others have said, he doesn’t really have any G5 experience but thats pretty minor to me honestly. A guy from Wisconsin won’t exactly fit in down here and I know for a fact that some High School HCs won’t like it lol

Edited by MeanGreen4Life1998
  • Upvote 1