Hypothetical Game Outcome

Hookset

What would be the result if UNT played SMU in October instead of the 1st or 2nd game of the year? 
Most big time programs schedule powderpuff games early in the season so they can work out coverages, assignments and such. 
We currently are SMU’s powderpuff game. Our new defenders made so many mistakes early in the season and SMU made us pay dearly. Now the new players (offense and defense) are understanding assignments and playing faster. 
I don’t think Tulsa is better than UNT and they beat SMU in November last year.

Your thoughts?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

I think it would be close to the same result. I still see the issues that plagued the team then, just playing lower level competition right now. 

EDIT: The offense probably moves the ball a tick better but the defense would still get torched. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Hookset said:

What would be the result if UNT played SMU in October instead of the 1st or 2nd game of the year? 
Most big time programs schedule powderpuff games early in the season so they can work out coverages, assignments and such. 
We currently are SMU’s powderpuff game. Our new defenders made so many mistakes early in the season and SMU made us pay dearly. Now the new players (offense and defense) are understanding assignments and playing faster. 

Your thoughts?

I think we still get smoked. We’ve talked about expectations with our spending at the top of CUSA but we don’t spend anywhere close to what the ponies do. I hate them but they are a dang good football team, especially in the NIL era.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Hookset said:

Your thoughts?

We left about 24 points on the field due to dumb mistakes. I don’t think that happens if we play them now. I also think we’re able to move the ball more consistently. SMU’s run defense has proven to be pretty bad. That said, we still lose by 14-17 pts because our defense would still get smoked. 

Your thoughts?

If SMU had a singular planned powderpuff game this year, I’m pretty sure it was Lamar, not UNT. 

This. I would vote for UNT and SMU to play the Saturday after Thanksgiving, every year.

From a news/marketing perspective, a local conference rivalry game would help boost attendance in what is typically a low-turnout game for both schools. Heck, an AAC conference championship invite could very well be on the line. Hype it up in the media and put cheeks in seats. And let’s be honest, both schools would rather to play a local game on Thanksgiving weekend for obvious reasons.

From an X’s & O’s perspective, we’d have the entire season of film to study SMU and know exactly what we’re dealing with before kickoff. Our guys would fully understand their strengths, capabilities, roles, and assignments. I firmly believe this is what allowed us to knock off undefeated nUTSAck last year… (checks calendar) yep, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Assuming Smut doesn't buy their way into another conference I would think in the AAC we would probably play them later in the year.

I agree with we would play them better. UNT isn’t getting P5 transfers like SMU does. UNT gets JUCO’s and Div. 2 players that we believe can play up. There just is an adjustment period for the more complex schemes and speed of play. That takes a few games to adjust to (if the player ever is able to).

• RV 1

34 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

If SMU had a singular planned powderpuff game this year, I’m pretty sure it was Lamar, not UNT. 

Most programs schedule 2 or more powderpuff games. OSU, Michigan, UCLA, Alabama, Georgia… I can continue. That helps them make adjustments where needed before losses can happen. Lamar was one and we were the other for SMU. 
My original question is, would we play them better in October or November and possibly beat them (like Tulsa did in November 2021) if we had a few games under our belt to develop our players like the P5 programs do?

40 minutes ago, C Rod said:

This. I would vote for UNT and SMU to play the Saturday after Thanksgiving, every year.

From a news/marketing perspective, a local conference rivalry game would help boost attendance in what is typically a low-turnout game for both schools. Heck, an AAC conference championship invite could very well be on the line. Hype it up in the media and put cheeks in seats. And let’s be honest, both schools would rather to play a local game on Thanksgiving weekend for obvious reasons.

From an X’s & O’s perspective, we’d have the entire season of film to study SMU and know exactly what we’re dealing with before kickoff. Our guys would fully understand their strengths, capabilities, roles, and assignments. I firmly believe this is what allowed us to knock off undefeated nUTSAck last year… (checks calendar) yep, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I agree.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Hookset said:

Your thoughts?

By November the SMU coach’s thoughts were already in Fort Worth. Let’s see what happens towards the end of this season. I doubt Lashlee plans to jump ship after one season.