What is your standard?

emmitt01

What's the standard?   

104 members have voted

1. 1. What does "successful" mean to you?

• National Title
    • Perennial Top 25 Finish
    • Conference Champion
    • Bowl Winner
    • Above .500 yearly
    • Look competitive every week

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

You mean this Apathy Stadium on virtually perfect weather day?

And the wild thing is there were LOTS of kids tailgating prior to the game.  More than the last home game where the student section had a good turn out.  It was sad to see that not even 10% of the kids tailgating made it in.

And in regards to the weather.  It was amazing weather.  Probably the best weather we'll have for any of our home games this season.  In the shade of the CL, and with the quiet nature of football games at Apogee (🙄) I was slipping in and out of sleep in my seat.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Pellom said:

That’s the thing that needs to change - and I don’t think Littrell has done enough in that regard, even though we won 9 games two years in a row. We need a hype man like McCasland or Joey McGuire at TTU. 

That is the thing, it isn’t hype it is winning something tangible.  When conference championship on the line, bowl game or even huge hyped home game (like Mean Joe’s statue unveiling) his teams come up small.  Usually the by double or more of the betting line.  If we had ONE season like UTSA’s within the last 7 years without just struggling to get to 0.500 the rest of the 7 years no way the student section looks like that yesterday.   Do you realize the last time North Texas won a conference championship today’s freshmen and current high-school recruiting class weren’t born or in diapers? 

I am over thinking throwing money at head coach will change things.  The leadership needs to be somewhat frugal and demanding when it comes to head coach salary.  Tie raises and extensions to winning and attendance.  It is inexcusable that program found itself in a position that getting rid of 0.500 Coach at the end of season 7 was going to be financially painful.   I don’t think the net collective worth of our big money donors rival Warren Buffet, T Boone Pickens,  Perots or Elon Musk.   This program WILL thrive if you win enough to get the local alumni to buy in.  I would have club seats now (or priced out of them by demand)  if they had a couple of championships and Bowl wins during the past decade.  The diehard fans and BMD are way too happy with just above mediocrity.   Being in this fertile recruiting area is blessing and curse.  It a blessing cause you don’t have to travel far to potentially stock your team.  It is a curse because Football is so big around here that your program has developed a reputation for underachieving and lack of commitment to winning big.  That is the biggest advantage SMU & TCU have over us.  Not a SWC affiliation a lot of the parents of these recruits (certainly not the recruits themselves) even remember.  It is the money either.  They are committed to winning championships.  And they don’t care it their coach had a 9 win season 4 years ago when today their stadium is empty due to EARNED apathy. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

I’m an Astros fan and ecstatic with the fact that they are constantly close to the Series even if the only time they’ve won is 2017, I wouldn’t consider any of their seasons since 2015 a failure. Stop dealing in absolutes.

It’s literally what it means based on how the question is asked 😂

If you don’t think winning a conference championship is required for a successful season then it shouldn’t be your answer. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

You mean this Apathy Stadium on virtually perfect weather day?   No better photographic evidence that Seth should not have be brought back in the first place.  This is a bad turnout for one of Denton’s high schools.  People know good football around here and the see it so infrequently here the market is dead cold.  

7A0AD3D0-753C-4DC1-82F8-548891710D6D.thumb.jpeg.67981fdca6ddcc084eba120a6f9e0067.jpeg

the crowd was a poor showing  yesterday, but there were 10 times the amount of people that your picture is showing.  That’s at halftime on the sunny side.   Most people were underneath or had decided to go drink by that point - It was a painfully slow first half taking 2 hours to get to halftime.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Compete for conference championships and at least be in “others receiving votes” most weeks.

I think that equates to being one of the top 40 teams in the nation most seasons.  It also means that when we play most P5’s we’re maybe a 10-14 point underdog instead of a 31-35 point underdog.  

When I wear a UNT shirt or cap, people know who we are and have respect for the program instead of thinking we are equals to A&M Commerce.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, texx2818 said:

The fact that people are laughing emoji at your comment shows the problem with this program and the fans.

I laughed at it. Not at the attendance per say, but the problem the athletic director has created for himself. An overpaid AD standing up an overpaid coach like a ventriloquist and his doll... this is the attendance woes that come with it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

With the size of our school, the location, our facilities, and our increased funding, I believe we should be playing in bowls every year, winning most of them, winning our conference or being the runner up in conference, and either in the top 25, or right on the doorstep, every year. 

We shouldn't be happy that our coach "is finally getting the team turned around" or "getting it figured out" midway through the season, every year, especially in his SEVENTH year of being a head coach. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Rudy said:

With the size of our school, the location, our facilities, and our increased funding, I believe we should be playing in bowls every year, winning most of them, winning our conference or being the runner up in conference, and either in the top 25, or right on the doorstep, every year. 

We shouldn't be happy that our coach "is finally getting the team turned around" or "getting it figured out" midway through the season, every year, especially in his SEVENTH year of being a head coach. 

Shhh. Just nod and smile. The ink on the contract ext is drying. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I was the only one that put “look competitive every week”. I put this because I don’t want to see us get blown out anymore. If we look competitive every week we should have a fair amount of victories.

I thought about putting that as well. I opted for CONSISTENTLY above .500. I know games can get out of hand quickly, especially in strength vs weakness games. However, I don't excuse the blowouts as coaching staffs know their weaknesses usually during spring ball (or before). And the beauty of college football is that coaches can shore up their roster any given offseason. The good coaches in today's game have realized that and have taken action. Our staff has decided to tread water. 

I put consistently .500 because that's how a winning culture is built. And flip flopping from 9-3 to 4-8 is not the above .500 I have in mind. Consistently be 7-5 or better. I get bad years are going to happen. But once a pattern is set of bad years a trajectory forms and coaches gots to go. Go be 7-5, consistently. 9-3/10-2's will inevitably start to sprinkle into a long run of 7-5's. And I can stomach a 3-9/4-8 type of season on the rare occasion, it happens. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I was the only one that put “look competitive every week”. I put this because I don’t want to see us get blown out anymore. If we look competitive every week we should have a fair amount of victories.

with the weak ass scheduling no reason a UNT Coach should not be winning 8 games a year. This year SMU, Memphis, UNLV are not world beaters, even if inept coaching made it so.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

with the weak ass scheduling no reason a UNT Coach should not be winning 8 games a year. This year SMU, Memphis, UNLV are not world beaters, even if inept coaching made it so.

It's just beyond anyone not associated with this place to understand how anyone with a pulse couldn't win 7 games against this dog$hit schedule. And to then tell someone that we will decide on the coach's job based on how he does against this schedule just makes these other fans laugh or shake their heads. He has this schedule remaining:

La Tech at home--1-3 with their one win over FCS SFA

@ UTSA--3-2 with close losses to UH and UT

@ WKU--3-2 with wins over FCS Austin Peay, Hawaii, and moribund FIU (73-0)

FIU at home--2-2 with wins over FCS Bryant in OT by a point and @NMSU

@ UAB--2-2 with wins over FCS Alabama A&M and Georgia Southern, close losses at Liberty and Rice

Rice at home--3-2, much better than expected, with wins against FCS McNeese St, Louisiana, and UAB

If you are in the camp of wanting SL gone, he has to lose 4 of these, IMO, and that's very, very possible. If he wins 4 of these, he's here for at least 3-4 more years, which seems impossible, IMO. But can he win 3? Yeah, it's in the realm of probability, around 50/50. And we will see just how much the potential to get to 7 wins matters to this place.

For most of us, without SL being at 7 wins at the end of this putrid schedule, he should be fired as soon as that isn't a possibility in the REGULAR SEASON, if not sooner. But I'm of the belief that he won't be fired if he can get to 7 wins with a bowl victory (I know, HAHAHA!!). And what a colossal waste of time that will be if we wait to make a determination on SL's contract status after a bowl game--recruiting will absolutely look like a McCarney level if we do this, no matter what the decision would be. Nobody worth a damn is coming here with that hot seat at a nuclear level for SL going into a bowl game, no matter how that game turns out. 

This season will end up being a very key year in determining if UNT will keep a lot of fans--because we have already lost people as season ticket buyers or even attending because SL is still here. And if he comes back, on the heels of somehow getting to 7 wins against the easiest schedule we have ever had, there will be even more who will leave, just because they have zero faith in SL to raise this program to where it was when Fine and Harrell were here. But I guess the AD and leadership would be thrilled to keep the BMDs happy, as they are the one$ that matter here the mo$t.

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 9:14 AM, emmitt01 said:

Since we perpetually do this dance of "this guy will be the one to finally wake the sleeping giant" when we hire a new coach, and then revert to "this guy couldn't coach pee wee flag football and might actually be the Zodiac Killer" when things go south, I want to know what success looks like to you.   What do you honestly expect as the standard for a football coach at North Texas?   Resist the urge to make some flippant comment like "better than Seth Littrell!" or "Not sucking."   Take into account the facilities, resources, and history of North Texas and tell me what you think we should rationally expect a coach to bring here in the 2022 college football landscape.   

If a guy came in here and asked you what you expect in order to be avoid the message board angry mob, what would you answer?  

Hiring the Football Coaching version of Grant McCasland.

• Upvote 1

Best in Texas poll (10/3): TCU soars to No. 1; Texas A&M plummets (dallasnews.com)

Rank/Team:
1. TCU
2. Baylor
3. Texas
4. Texas Tech
5. Texas A&M
6. SMU
7. Houston
8. UTSA
9. Rice
10. North Texas
11. UTEP
12. Texas State

My standard is no worse than 6th in the state of Texas.

Edited by Professor Lambeau

12 minutes ago, Professor Lambeau said:

Best in Texas poll (10/3): TCU soars to No. 1; Texas A&M plummets (dallasnews.com)

Rank/Team:
1. TCU
2. Baylor
3. Texas
4. Texas Tech
5. Texas A&M
6. SMU
7. Houston
8. UTSA
9. Rice
10. North Texas
11. UTEP
12. Texas State

My standard is no worse than 6th in the state of Texas.

Don't be naive. That's a top 10 ranking. Putting the legal jargon in the dried contract ext as we speak. 

On 10/2/2022 at 9:59 AM, BigWillie said:

I am not sure if anyone saw the segment on GameDay about Kansas, but the sum of it was that they were bad for a decade and the floor of the B12, then finally turned a corner with the right coach.

They hired a coach every 3 years. Sound familiar?

Except maybe the budget and hiring a new coach.

Resident KU fan here, that’s only half the story. They were also bad because football only got a fraction of the funding that basketball was getting because the previous AD figured why give a damn about football when basketball floats our athletics. New AD comes in and realizes that football can be something there. Hiring of Les Miles and Leipold were shifts in a direction but they also started pumping a whole lot more money into football which meant better facilities, more resources for recruiting, etc. 

To your point though, yes, budget and new coach results in the KU we see today.

• Puking Eagle 1

I said bowl winner.

Have to be .500 or better to get there (unless you're Littrell and you somehow get in on tree technicalities), gives you an opportunity to play at different places against quality teams, and because of talking points to recruits.

Sure nobody in the majority of the public gives a damn about the HEB Buttered Tortilla Bowl Brought to You By Taco Bell Baja Blast in a Can bowl, but it allows fans to travel, allows kids to get rewarded with cool bowl gifts/entertainment, and fills the trophy case.

Conference Champion still goes to a bowl, but even without a championship consistently winning one year in and year out is a pretty good consolation, and a solid floor for success in my book. 

15 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Resident KU fan here, that’s only half the story. They were also bad because football only got a fraction of the funding that basketball was getting because the previous AD figured why give a damn about football when basketball floats our athletics. New AD comes in and realizes that football can be something there. Hiring of Les Miles and Leipold were shifts in a direction but they also started pumping a whole lot more money into football which meant better facilities, more resources for recruiting, etc. 

To your point though, yes, budget and new coach results in the KU we see today.

Any plans for a new stadium? Kanas probably has the worst P5 stadium. 

• Puking Eagle 1