Stone Earle

peanuts104

Just one question Mean Green Faithful, why? Why even give him a shot if there weren't doubts? Especially early on before we knew we had the game in hand?

Discuss this event freely here. Personally? I think SL is trying to find a way to see what he's got that could maybe complete more than 50% of his passes.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Just one question Mean Green Faithful, why? Why even give him a shot if there weren't doubts? Especially early on before we knew we had the game in hand?

Discuss this event freely here. Personally? I think SL is trying to find a way to see what he's got that could maybe complete more than 50% of his passes.

It was great seeing him!  It made even more sense when he ran the ball. I think he’s out for the year, though.  SL said as much in the post game. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

Hat tip to SL for finding an excuse to put someone not named Aune in at QB.

Not the circumstance that I hope for, but I can acknowledge this as a willingness to bend.

The first step is of then the hardest

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Was it during one of his QB keeper plays?  None of the plays looked like they had damaging hits.  Might just be another famous UNT S&C fail.

Not sure which play, but if I had to guess it was the almost TD (that I still think was a TD). Got slammed pretty hard.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Was excited to see him in there.  Whether it was a red zone package only, or Seth was trying to look for something more, I’m still glad they got him on the field.  Would be a bummer if he’s out for the year.  I know we’ll never get any reports but hopefully he’ll be back this year and they’ll keep putting him in. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I wonder if Ruder is quick enough to be the redzone/goalline qb. Isn’t he faster than Aune?

Ruder would throw it to the other team and get an endzone pick 6 in that situation based on last year's performance.

Would be glad to be proven wrong. SL said that Ruder got the nod to start last year because of his QB smarts. Would be nice to have a guy like that on the field as long as he can handle the pressure, which is the biggest question in my mind with Ruder.

• Downvote 4

16 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I wonder if Ruder is quick enough to be the redzone/goalline qb. Isn’t he faster than Aune?

He is supposed to be, but even Aune last year was effective running the ball when he had to in order to solidify his starting job. Aune ran for 50+ yards four times in a five game stretch when he first took over. Now we don’t seem to run him as much, and are treating him like a traditional QB (almost no designed runs and slide after you get the 1st on scrambles).

My point is, if these guys have to run to carve out a role, they run much differently than when they’re the established starting QB. Even Stone Earle only had a career high of 49 rushing yards at ACU, but when that’s what role they asked him to fill, he ran with some juice (maybe a little too much).

So if we give Ruder a shot as a zone-read package QB, I bet we see him run with much more authority than we saw from him last year as the starting QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1