Why was the entire parking lot next to victory blocked off?

KingDL1

After we got to our tailgating spot a little over 4 hours early they blocked the entire parking lot off next to Victory and would not let some of our group in. Then when I left in the 1st quarter there were over 100 or more parking spots open. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

• KingDL1 changed the title to Why was the entire parking lot next victory blocked off?
27 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

After we got to our tailgating spot a little over 4 hours early they blocked the entire parking lot off next to Victory and would not let some of our group in. Then when I left in the 1st quarter there were over 100 or more parking spots open. 

Looked like there was a softball game of some sort happening that they likely needed that lot for.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• KingDL1 changed the title to Why was the entire parking lot next to victory blocked off?
52 minutes ago, MeanGreenFan94 said:

Park in this area every game and we were not allowed in. They told me it was for ADA only but when I walked by 10 minutes before game time it was an empty lot. Frustrated we couldn’t park in our usual area.

This was some of the stupidest crap I have seen yet. So freaking typical. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I think they were expecting more ADA needs this weekend since it was family weekend.  They were wrong.  They probably expected better attendance too. 

Don't they have family weekend every year? Messing with people's tailgate seems like an amazingly bad idea.

• Upvote 2

I haven't been to a game at Apogee in a number of years but if this is ADA related then it reeks of someone throwing their weight around with no clue as to what they're talking about.

You can do the ADA required parking space calculation at this link:

https://nwadacenter.org/toolkit/accessible-parking-spaces-calculator

My guess (if ADA was the consideration) is that someone ran the requirements for thousands (or total number of parking spaces) versus the parking area itself and decided to just make this an ADA lot and satisfy what they believe are the requirements.

Here's a calculation for 10,000 spaces:

1142983016_ScreenShot2022-10-02at11_44_18AM.png.bdb2a77d72846f9e282f437994b548da.png

I would estimate that lot or area is no more than 300 spaces and it should be calculated by specific, defined areas, not the total parking spaces then it looks like this:

426657271_ScreenShot2022-10-02at11_45_56AM.png.4295846ac8250d45c76c2ec4577b64a0.png

I'm confident, although it's been a minute, that each designated area already meets the requirement with regards to number of designated ADA parking spaces.

If we add and used an open field for parking on game days for example, which is not already a permanent parking lot in regular use, a calculation would then need to be made for that area and the appropriate amount of ADA parking spots would need to be added to account for the additional temporary event parking.  I don't believe this has been the case.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, MeanGreenFan94 said:

This is the picture I took of the Lot just before I went in the game. We tailgate on the bottom grass area for every game. They could have easily allowed for a much smaller reserved ADA section. “We can do better

7CA3752C-E67E-4796-8D3E-E67BECEC645E.jpeg

I'll be real honest, after 32 years of following this place, I believe this is what we do...we won't do better. Its just who we are. We half-ass just about everything around our AD--except paying the salaries of our leaders. We do that exceptionally well.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

I hope they get this figured out. 

I had a similar experience. We set up tent in the shade by Victory. There were mostly cheer tents and located in that area. I got there around 11 and just wanted to unload for about 10 minutes. They said no. Lot was vacant to an extent. Had to lug a lot of stuff from the higher lot. I did complain to a staff member (nicely) through a friend who is a large donor. We discussed the need to work with the “few” of us that not only attend games but try to create a gameday atmosphere and bring new people for the experiance. We were not trying to park in Ada just needed a few minutes to make things much easier. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

I too started parking in the handicapped spots in the blue lot for years after giving up my club level seats and prime handicapped spot in the white lot due to missing so many games due to health issues.  Was able to ride the shuttle with the wheelchair lift to the gate by the staduim store.  There were times is was hard to find a handicapped spot close to the shuttle waiting area in the blue lot, but that was during the Mason Fine era when attendance was better.  Not sure how it has been the last couple of years, but that was the only way I was able to attend the games so I valued having the handicapped spots available in the blue lot.  I don't believe they had wheelchair lifts on the shuttle buses coming from the orange lot back then, but I may be mistaken.  I remember forgetting my white lot parking pass for one game and having to park in the orange lot and just remember it being more difficult to manuever and that was before I was wheelchair bound.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1