Let’s be real.

Salsa_Verde

4 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I understand this sentiment, but I don’t share it.  Obviously, this season needs to go better than most of us expected at the start of the year. Who knows exactly what that means?  WB?, hopefully  

I don’t believe another 6-6 bowl is gonna cut it, though.  I’m certain WB already has a list.  

After getting blown out by SMU and UNLV, I don’t even think 7-5 is going to cut it. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

I understand this sentiment, but I don’t share it.  Obviously, this season needs to go better than most of us expected at the start of the year. Who knows exactly what that means?  WB?, hopefully  

I don’t believe another 6-6 bowl is gonna cut it, though.  I’m certain WB already has a list.  

What part don't you share? Would you prefer to see WB be more aggressive in taking our football program to the next level or would you rather have a Stockstill type HC tenure? Always decent, sometimes great but never the best, sometimes bad but never the worst?

Based on the salary UNT is paying SL, I think they can afford to be a bit more aggressive while maintaining the same salary range for the HC. I think they'll be aggressive considering the investments already made but we'll see.

If I told you today, SL can get us 6-8 wins even in the AAC, would you want to keep him?

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

What part don't you share? Would you prefer to see WB be more aggressive in taking our football program to the next level or would you rather have a Stockstill type HC tenure? Always decent, sometimes great but never the best, sometimes bad but never the worst?

Based on the salary UNT is paying SL, I think they can afford to be a bit more aggressive while maintaining the same salary range for the HC. I think they'll be aggressive considering the investments already made but we'll see.

If I told you today, SL can get us 6-8 wins even in the AAC, would you want to keep him?

I’m not quite ready to move on from SL.  But if WB is going aggressive, then it must be because he has an ace in the hole. If he hires the football version of GMac, of course I’d be okay moving on. But letting SL go with no contingency plan would be silly to me.

No, I don’t want a Stockstill. 

If SL can win 6-8 games in the first year of the AAC, I think that’d be a solid year one in a better conference.  

What’s your expectation in year one of the AAC?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I’m not quite ready to move on from SL.  But if WB is going aggressive, then it must be because he has an ace in the hole. If he hires the football version of GMac, of course I’d be okay moving on. But letting SL go with no contingency plan would be silly to me.

No, I don’t want a Stockstill. 

If SL can win 6-8 games in the first year of the AAC, I think that’d be a solid year one in a better conference.  

What’s your expectation in year one of the AAC?

Expectation in AAC would be about 6+ wins depending on who we actually play simply because of the 5 CUSA schools joining us there. The only current AAC schools that'll we'll join that I see as being better than us for now are SMU, Memphis, and Tulane if this year isn't a fluke. I believe every CUSA school joining the AAC is currently starting a senior at QB except Charlotte but they're also 1-5 so I'm not too worried. Offensively, I believe we've got a really good talent at every position. If we can fix the defense and bring in a real QB coach who can get us a reliable passing game, I think 6+ wins is doable but again that's because many of the remaining schools have been performing poorly and none of the CUSA additions know who their quarterback will be next year.

Hiring the GMac version of football is easier said than done. Most programs don't have their coach of the future, it's just a matter of them figuring that out. The coaching carousel will always be. That said, I do agree with you with not firing SL unless we have a top coaching pick lined up. Maybe SL was brought back for that reason. With all the P5s who have already let go of their coaches, SL might return if only because there won't be anybody left worth replacing him with. Time will tell but I think that's a very valid point you bring up. You can't let him go until there's a viable replacement identified.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

19 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

After getting blown out by SMU and UNLV, I don’t even think 7-5 is going to cut it. 

Yup, fine and dandy winning conference games but those blowouts loom very large and don't bode well for us competing in the new conference. La Tech looks like garbage so that should be a W. UTSA, Western, UAB, and Rice (Yes, Rice) will tell us everything we need to know about the direction of this team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1