Let’s be real.

Salsa_Verde

4 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Not for me.

Wait, “win out” means you don’t lose another game.

Do you mean to say (purely hypothetical) that if NT won CUSA, then won a bowl game against what should be a really good team, you’d still want to fire Littrell?  

I couldn’t get behind that. That kind of turnaround wouldn’t be smoke & mirrors like last year’s late run.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So you believe FAU is a good team?

That's not what your question asked. This is what you asked "If this team beats no one that is supposed to be better than them are they successful?" No one said FAU is good, but your question asked about better not whether they were good or not.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Does every team in the AAC drop a pick 6 and 4 TD passes per game? Because if they do, I guess we can beat everybody.

And we beat ourselves against Memphis with the two pick sixes, but that isn't something to feel good about because a loss is a loss.

The same logic applies in reverse: A win is a win.

UNT beat FAU because of some great playmakers stepping up and that's worth celebrating.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

41 minutes ago, Venson said:

That's not what your question asked. This is what you asked "If this team beats no one that is supposed to be better than them are they successful?" No one said FAU is good, but your question asked about better not whether they were good or not.

Typical green glasses response. Because they are a 3-point favor does not mean there are better team or a team we should not beat. It is just amazing how many people are satisfied with a middle of the pack team year after year. Must be nice to have expectations so low.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Typical green glasses response. Because they are a 3-point favor does not mean there are better team or a team we should not beat. It is just amazing how many people are satisfied with a middle of the pack team year after year. Must be nice to have expectations so low.

3 point favorite on the road definitely means Vegas thinks FAU was better. 3 point favorite at home is the standard for a tossup game.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It is just amazing how many people are satisfied with a middle of the pack team year after year. Must be nice to have expectations so low.

You can enjoy a win without being satisfied with the overall direction of the program.

Ragsdale, Shorter, Texada, Davis and Nixon all played great. Mooney continues to be a rock. Aune threw four touchdowns and only one was to the other team!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think it’d be tough for WB to fire a 9 win coach. 

Yes it would. If He won 9 games he’d have had 3 different 9 win seasons, more than any other coach in our history. I’m sure Wren doesn’t want to be compared to Steve Pedersen, the AD at Nebraska who fired Frank Stolich for “not producing up the the standards they expect.” 

I do not think we will get to 9 wins. But if we do, firing Seth would undoubtedly be regarded by most of our fans including me as an idiotic move.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You were the one who asked when we were going to beat a better team. Every ranking organization had them rated as a better team. We beat a perceived better team. If you didn't want that response, then you should have asked when are we going to beat a good team and not a better team. It has nothing to do with green glasses. It has everything to do with the question asked. I think SL should go as well, but your question asked when were we going to beat a better team.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

They don’t have to beat those teams until next year (and three are leaving). This seems like an attempt to crap on this years team.  This would be a good question to ask when the season is over.  

With that said, I’ll play along.  We beat Navy, Temple, USF. We compete/might win with ECU, Tulsa, Memphis. The rest are possible/likely losses.  Looks like middle of the road if we were in the AAC this year.

Back to this year and this team. It feels like a corner has been turned. Really hope KD is okay. GMG!

Color-Therapy-Glasses-Green-Featured-Ima

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Yes it would. If He won 9 games he’d have had 3 different 9 win seasons, more than any other coach in our history. I’m sure Wren doesn’t want to be compared to Steve Pedersen, the AD at Nebraska who fired Frank Stolich for “not producing up the the standards they expect.” 

I do not think we will get to 9 wins. But if we do, firing Seth would undoubtedly be regarded by most of our fans including me as an idiotic move.

I think I agree here, but I think there are also different standards. 

Look at what Texas Tech did last year. Fired a head coach who was 5-3.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, rcade said:

And we beat ourselves against Memphis with the two pick sixes, but that isn't something to feel good about because a loss is a loss.

The same logic applies in reverse: A win is a win.

UNT beat FAU because of some great playmakers stepping up and that's worth celebrating.

Comparing 4 dropped TD passes where your secondary got roasted to 2 pick-6 interceptions because your QB made poor decisions is like comparing apples to oranges.

"A win is a win" is the logic that gets you to year 7 of a head coach's tenure with nothing to show for it.

Enjoy your small victories, I guess.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, rcade said:

You can enjoy a win without being satisfied with the overall direction of the program.

Ragsdale, Shorter, Texada, Davis and Nixon all played great. Mooney continues to be a rock. Aune threw four touchdowns and only one was to the other team!

2 of 3 against UAB, WKU, and UTSA would impress me.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

42 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Nine wins and a bowl win is enough for me to pretend I never wanted him to be fired.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

19 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

I think I agree here, but I think there are also different standards. 

Look at what Texas Tech did last year. Fired a head coach who was 5-3.

Yes, there are different standards. Matt Wells only had two 4 win seasons before last year. Seth has two 9 win seasons under his belt. If he gets another one this year, I think we’d be crazy to fire him. I don’t believe he will get nine wins this year. I trust Wren to make the correct decision based on how Seth performs over the entire year and what Wren believes are our options for other coaches. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Yes, there are different standards. Matt Wells only had two 4 win seasons before last year. Seth has two 9 win seasons under his belt. If he gets another one this year, I think we’d be crazy to fire him. I don’t believe he will get nine wins this year. I trust Wren to make the correct decision based on how Seth performs over the entire year and what Wren believes are our options for other coaches. 

My point is, we should have those types of standards. It seems we are content with mediocrity.

• Upvote 2

if they bring him back I would not give him an extension until after the pre conference games next year. If he does well give him a two year extension.  No long extensions should be in his future.  We are in the worse conference in country right now.  Do wins in this conference mean that much?   I hate to say but I even think CUSA is having a down year if that is possible.  How are teams that already left the conference doing in the belt?  I have not kept up with them.  

I don't think we have got the much better it is just the competition is dropped down in CUSA.  

We have to look at the out of conference games.   We were blown out with the exception TSU.  The Memphis game we score on the back ups to make it close.

I am glad for the win it makes my week better.   I think I noticed in this game which I had not seen against the non conference games was our DB were able to look back at the QB for once instead of chasing behind everyone not having a clue the ball had been thrown.  I think Gaddy does a good job but he is the exception back there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

1 hour ago, BigWillie said:

My point is, we should have those types of standards. It seems we are content with mediocrity.

IMO it's not even about raising our standards with what one individual coach can do, it's about inching our way to a higher standard as a program. What I mean is, getting to 8 wins shouldn't mean automatically keeping him just because it's "good for UNT." If 8-9 wins is SL's ceiling, that's good for where we were but to take the next step, we need to go in a different direction. Thank him for building the foundation and establishing a new standard for Mean Green Football and find the next guy who can get us to 10+ wins.

Look at MTSU with Stockstill. 17 years with the program, one 10 win season which came in 2009, 4 wins over .500 over the course of 17 years there. They haven't won a conference championship since 2006 I believe. Yes they beat Miami this year and has won some bowls games but how many coaches could they have hired to take the next step? Maybe they feel good regularly making bowl games. We could probably have that with SL. We could move on to somebody else and either do worst or take a leap. I'd rather our leadership take a gamble and try finding somebody who can finally get us to break into the double digit wins and win a conference championship.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

IMO it's not even about raising our standards with what one individual coach can do, it's about inching our way to a higher standard as a program. What I mean is, getting to 8 wins shouldn't mean automatically keeping him just because it's "good for UNT." If 8-9 wins is SL's ceiling, that's good for where we were but to take the next step, we need to go in a different direction. Thank him for building the foundation and establishing a new standard for Mean Green Football and find the next guy who can get us to 10+ wins.

Look at MTSU with Stockstill. 17 years with the program, one 10 win season which came in 2009, 4 wins over .500 over the course of 17 years there. They haven't won a conference championship since 2006 I believe. Yes they beat Miami this year and has won some bowls games but how many coaches could they have hired to take the next step? Maybe they feel good regularly making bowl games. We could probably have that with SL. We could move on to somebody else and either do worst or take a leap. I'd rather our leadership take a gamble and try finding somebody who can finally get us to break into the double digit wins and win a conference championship.

Completely agree with this take.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I understand this sentiment, but I don’t share it.  Obviously, this season needs to go better than most of us expected at the start of the year. Who knows exactly what that means?  WB?, hopefully  

I don’t believe another 6-6 bowl is gonna cut it, though.  I’m certain WB already has a list.  

• Upvote 1