Bronco *Frickin* Mendenhall

Pseudo Nym

533044202_ScreenShot2022-09-30at7_15_33PM.png.319e520e3182e6789ce436340b474b98.png

https://footballscoop.com/news/bronco-mendenhall-outlines-what-hes-looking-for-in-his-next-job

Selections from article:

"I would argue there's not a more prepared, rested, and focused head coach on Earth in Power 5 than I am right now,"

When asked  how he'd respond to a hypothetical AD who asked him why he wouldn't step away again two years down the line?

"All that's happened is solidifying my true intent, which is delivering, I think, really, really strong results, especially to rebuilding programs. BYU was struggling when I inherited that program and we won for a long time. UVa, that was a struggling program when we started, and five bowl-eligible seasons in six years hadn't been done in like 22 years. That's going to happen again wherever I get to coach and it will happen for a long time, simply because of the pause. I love developing young people; I don't think there's a more impactful way to do it (than college football.) And, man, I'm young. I'm only 56, that's only getting warmed up."

Later in the article....

"The level to me isn't as important as the purpose and the alignment. I think the alignment and purpose excludes level and includes leadership. Any program that wants exceptional results on the field -- they have to want that. That has to happen because that helps the young people become and be supported. If they want young people treated really well, who do exceptional in school, who give back to the community, who are actually looking to add value to the place that they are and are aligned with that place while they're winning games, yeah, the level isn't as important as the alignment. The kids have to become something exceptional, otherwise it's just a game, and I'm not okay with it just being a game." 

And...

"If there's great alignment with an exceptional candidate that fits a place with almost guaranteed results, man, I would look hard at that."

For the Wikipedia sleuths....

838652640_ScreenShot2022-09-30at7_21_53PM.png.abb32e1ca422aa7098ed3cc4ee234fe6.png

Haters gonna hate, just throwing this out there since his name hasn't been mentioned on this board since 2021, maybe for good reason which I'm sure I'll be educated on shortly, but just saying the name BRONCO. FRICKIN. MENDENHALL. Goes hard!

Could be worth a look!

#GMG

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

36 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

533044202_ScreenShot2022-09-30at7_15_33PM.png.319e520e3182e6789ce436340b474b98.png

https://footballscoop.com/news/bronco-mendenhall-outlines-what-hes-looking-for-in-his-next-job

Selections from article:

"I would argue there's not a more prepared, rested, and focused head coach on Earth in Power 5 than I am right now,"

When asked  how he'd respond to a hypothetical AD who asked him why he wouldn't step away again two years down the line?

"All that's happened is solidifying my true intent, which is delivering, I think, really, really strong results, especially to rebuilding programs. BYU was struggling when I inherited that program and we won for a long time. UVa, that was a struggling program when we started, and five bowl-eligible seasons in six years hadn't been done in like 22 years. That's going to happen again wherever I get to coach and it will happen for a long time, simply because of the pause. I love developing young people; I don't think there's a more impactful way to do it (than college football.) And, man, I'm young. I'm only 56, that's only getting warmed up."

Later in the article....

"The level to me isn't as important as the purpose and the alignment. I think the alignment and purpose excludes level and includes leadership. Any program that wants exceptional results on the field -- they have to want that. That has to happen because that helps the young people become and be supported. If they want young people treated really well, who do exceptional in school, who give back to the community, who are actually looking to add value to the place that they are and are aligned with that place while they're winning games, yeah, the level isn't as important as the alignment. The kids have to become something exceptional, otherwise it's just a game, and I'm not okay with it just being a game." 

And...

"If there's great alignment with an exceptional candidate that fits a place with almost guaranteed results, man, I would look hard at that."

For the Wikipedia sleuths....

838652640_ScreenShot2022-09-30at7_21_53PM.png.abb32e1ca422aa7098ed3cc4ee234fe6.png

Haters gonna hate, just throwing this out there since his name hasn't been mentioned on this board since 2021, maybe for good reason which I'm sure I'll be educated on shortly, but just saying the name BRONCO. FRICKIN. MENDENHALL. Goes hard!

Could be worth a look!

#GMG

I’d think that the biggest worry about him would be how Denton and our approach and appreciation to UNT football, as compared to BYU and UVa. I think that is why a FCS coach that has won before or a D-2 coach coming here wouldn’t run into that concern.

But he’d be a home run hire here if he can keep from being disappointed, which is what happened to Dan McCarney.

• Upvote 2

3 P5 jobs are open right now.... 30 FBS jobs came open last year....  14 of the 30 were P5.....

https://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching-changes/

If 15 P5 jobs open this year, under the assumption it will be similar to last year, that leaves 12 potential suitors for him.

His name hasn't even been mentioned on the "hot lists" for current P5 openings:

ASU: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/arizona-state-coaching-candidates-matt-rhule-byron-leftwich-dan-mullen-lead-options-to-replace-herm-edwards/#:~:text=Arizona State coaching candidates%3A Matt,replace Herm Edwards - CBSSports.com

Nebraska: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Nebraska-coaching-candidates-Lance-Leipold-Bill-OBrien-reportedly-emerging-draws-strong-media-reaction-193834015/#:~:text=Kansas coach Lance Leipold%2C Alabama,and Campbell were pointing up.

GA Tech: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/georgia-tech-coaching-candidates-deion-sanders-todd-monken-lead-options-to-replace-geoff-collins/

There's a lot of people for these P5 jobs being mentioned other than him which places him just outside the P5 potential HC replacement talks.

If he's waiting for a P5 job, there's some risk he'd have to asses as to whether or not he's going to wait for a P5 job at the risk of missing out on a good non-P5 FBS job.

I'm guessing that none of the current P5 openings (Nebraska, GA Tech, Arizona State) have been interested in him as I don't think he would've done the interview were he in the running or under consideration for those openings.

That he did the interview and article could be his way (perhaps even on the advice of his agent) of making a greater appeal to schools beyond the P5 that he's interested in returning to coaching, P5 or otherwise.

If he's just outside P5 consideration, that would place him at the top of P6 (which I guess we are now in the American) consideration.

Edited by Pseudo Nym