Jump to content

New Helmet!


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Massive stadiums are a holdover from the days when every seat in the house was the same price and the idea of higher priced premium seats was foreign. 

18 of 30 NFL stadiums seat less than 70,000 and 11 of the 17 to open since 2000 seat under 70,000 with LA's announced capacity being 70,000. Only three seat 80,000 or more and another three bigger than 75,000.

My family and I sat on the 11 yard line near the 50 from 1974 to 2020 and now I'm five rows below the press box with a shelf/table rolling seat, food supplied, short walk to nice new bathrooms.

I think what I've seen MLS do is spot on for all but a handful of super attendance programs. Compact stadium with lots and lots of suites, large number of premium seats up high and another set close to the field. Some cheap seat sections for the stand yell folks and a more modest number of seat traditional seats.

I think overall, you're just seeing less people go to games so making the experience itself top notch is more important. Most programs are having attendance woes. You can watch most games from the comfort of your couch without dealing with overpriced food, traffic, dirty restrooms, cell tower dead zones, and so on. I think making the game day experience better will get the occasional visitors, especially those with families, to come back more regularly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think overall, you're just seeing less people go to games so making the experience itself top notch is more important. Most programs are having attendance woes. You can watch most games from the comfort of your couch without dealing with overpriced food, traffic, dirty restrooms, cell tower dead zones, and so on. I think making the game day experience better will get the occasional visitors, especially those with families, to come back more regularly.

Might this trend be fine for schools who’ll get $24-$30 million annually from its P5 conference coffers, but for G5 schools not so much since some need good attendance for the all important gate receipts?  

(Honestly, did UCLA only draw 1,000 fans for a recent game)?

6B6BCDCD-B2F4-4245-9092-33705C3B17D5.jpeg.f2e842a0033c2b556a77e4d4e2c902a2.jpeg43B55F37-B2E2-4B6D-AA60-F356180B75A5.jpeg.f62d3283d535d2133e3735baf1928047.jpeg
 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Might this trend be fine for schools who’ll get $24-$30 million annually from its P5 conference coffers, but for G5 schools not so much since some need good attendance for the all important gate receipts?  

(Honestly, did UCLA only draw 1,000 fans for a recent game)?

6B6BCDCD-B2F4-4245-9092-33705C3B17D5.jpeg.f2e842a0033c2b556a77e4d4e2c902a2.jpeg43B55F37-B2E2-4B6D-AA60-F356180B75A5.jpeg.f62d3283d535d2133e3735baf1928047.jpeg
 

GMG!

This is just the Super Pit conversations all over again. Expanding doesn’t get more butts in seats if you can't already fit what you have. 30k is a good size for us right now. I can see 35k but would go much bigger right now. I'd make upgrades that affect experience and the athletic center (which is said to add some seating) before significant seating expansions, but that's just me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Neat logo just weird choosing a helmet and sticker color combination that renders it nearly invisible.

TCU does this ALL the time. This about making players feel good and peaking recruits interest. Not appeasing grumpy old alumni.

  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think overall, you're just seeing less people go to games so making the experience itself top notch is more important. Most programs are having attendance woes. 

Demand down, so raise prices? Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not an expert on supply and demand.

@Arkstfan makes more sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Demand down, so raise prices? Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not an expert on supply and demand.

@Arkstfan makes more sense.

All you had to do was look it up find that programs all around are making the gameday experience better to try combating a seventh straight season of declining attendance, which was also the lowest attended football season since 1981. The approach being taken is to offer experiences that can't be had at home. The average fan doesn't want to sit in 100 degree weather, rain, or snow, eat overpriced cold food, and use dirty bathrooms to watch a football game when they can watch it crystal clear on their 70 inch flat screen from the comfort of their couch and all that follows being at home. Major programs are spending hundreds of millions to create various luxury experiences for fans.

https://www.businessinsider.com/colleges-debut-premium-football-game-day-experiences-boost-attendance-2022-9?amp

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-attendance-declines-for-seventh-straight-season-to-lowest-average-since-1981/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/college-football-stadiums-declining-gate-luxury-170425972-120925083.html

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

All you had to do was look it up find that programs all around are making the gameday experience better to try combating a seventh straight season of declining attendance, which was also the lowest attended football season since 1981. The approach being taken is to offer experiences that can't be had at home. The average fan doesn't want to sit in 100 degree weather, rain, or snow, eat overpriced cold food, and use dirty bathrooms to watch a football game when they can watch it crystal clear on their 70 inch flat screen from the comfort of their couch and all that follows being at home. Major programs are spending hundreds of millions to create various luxury experiences for fans.

https://www.businessinsider.com/colleges-debut-premium-football-game-day-experiences-boost-attendance-2022-9?amp

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-attendance-declines-for-seventh-straight-season-to-lowest-average-since-1981/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/college-football-stadiums-declining-gate-luxury-170425972-120925083.html

 

absolutely being tried.  My point was, is it going to work?  My experiences in the entertainment industry (20 years now) is that rebranding and presenting a new premium experience doesn't usually work out in the long run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get the discussion about game day experience but we are failing at the basics. Poor inventory in the team store. No staff in the team store and ticket office employees stating they don’t know when they will be there. Display board at the intersection of the two interstates does not work. Concession workers in OU gear. Terrible in game music. Terrible ref audio and has been this way forever. I could go on and on. They act like they don’t care. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a good helmet design, IMO.  The asymmetrical design with one logo on one side and numbers on the other is unappealing.  This is made worse by the low contrast of the logo against a black background, making it difficult to see on TV/video.  

I don't mind the occasional use of black helmets.  Maybe use green wings with a white outline, or vice-versa, on the black helmets.  

  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NT91 said:

You are correct. It looks poor on TV. I like your avatar for the helmet logo.

As bad as is was the TCU helmet with it's connect to dots hornfrog was worse. My wife and daughter both were looking at tcu's helmets and neither one could figure out what they were until I said it's the horned frog and then I got the collective "oh"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, rcade said:

The lack of contrast made the logo too difficult to see on the broadcast. Maybe it would've been better with a competent TV production.

That pretty much nails the issue. In certain light, it looked amazing. But with the low quality and contrast of the cameras...was hard to see anything. Hope to see these again with quality production equipment/personnel

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, eternalmtg said:

TCU does this ALL the time. This about making players feel good and peaking recruits interest. Not appeasing grumpy old alumni.

Grumpy old alumni are the only thing keeping this program afloat!

  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2022 at 4:02 PM, UNTLifer said:

I get the discussion about game day experience but we are failing at the basics. Poor inventory in the team store. No staff in the team store and ticket office employees stating they don’t know when they will be there. Display board at the intersection of the two interstates does not work. Concession workers in OU gear. Terrible in game music. Terrible ref audio and has been this way forever. I could go on and on. They act like they don’t care. 

I doubt they really do care, it's just a job to most.   

Here....fill out a survey....

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, eternalmtg said:

TCU does this ALL the time. This about making players feel good and peaking recruits interest. Not appeasing grumpy old alumni.

It’s lousy marketing to have an unreadable logo. 
 

Funny thing about old grumps sometimes something new strikes their fancy. 
 

On my board you get people who want the stAte logo and those that want the wolf head. Then the team at the Mexico campus used one on one side and one on the other and now people who thought it was stupid when other schools used two logos are wanting us to do it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a group of ticket buyers/fans you can’t gameday into not eventually realizing they are better off at home. 
 

You can’t replicate the joining in cheers, singing the alma mater and fight song at home. The fist bumps and high fives with strangers or the seat buddies you only see at games and might not remember or have ever known their name. 
 

I went to Shreveport a week ago to see Jack White. The encompassing sound can’t be easily replicated at home. You don’t get the between song comments and it’s fun to stand and clap and dance in front of your seat. If you don’t like those things buying the record or streaming the music is an acceptable substitute. 
 

That’s where we are in live sports. You can build giant video boards, improve concessions, and install great WiFi but what you need is those moments of shared frustration, disappointment, anticipation, and joy and people who want that experience. 
 

The biggest frustration I have is the pervading fear of there being a moment without music, an ad, or announcement, makes it hard to talk to someone else. 
 

Even all day music festivals don’t bombard you from three and a half hours unbroken. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.