Minimum number of wins for consideration

Green Otaku

10 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

This isn't a thread to justify keeping him, if you think I'm one of the people who are advocating he stay you're wrong. The point of this thread is to gauge where people think the axe should come down. Some in here clearly think it should have happened already, but if for some reason he has a miracle run and goes 9-3 would any program really let their coach go? 

When you look at the body of work over the last 3 to 4 years it should be obvious we need a change. Heading into a new conference is the perfect time to make this change

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

4 more wins (FAU, La Tech, FIU, Rice) plus a couple more moral victories would put us at 6-6 overall record but 8-4 moral, arguably 9-3 moral record. Plus whatever the bowl game would bring. 

I could get behind an extension with that type of moral record.

I feel like that kind of moral record should get him morally extended, for sure.   I mean, "we can pay with those guys".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

35 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

When you look at the body of work over the last 3 to 4 years it should be obvious we need a change. Heading into a new conference is the perfect time to make this change

Noted, and the reason why I thought this thread was important. We all know various eyes look at these forums, so let it be know that no outcome of this season can change your mind. 

• Upvote 1

Whatever the record, I think he stays if he wins the conference.  Regardless of bowl game performance.  Just like last year after the UTSA upset and 5 game win streak it was going to be nearly impossible to fire him.  Winning the conference definitely keeps his job (and honestly it should).

So for me, no axe is dropping as long as we're in the hunt for the championship.  What'll be sickening is if we win the conference (or make it to the title game and lose)...then follow that up with another blowout bowl loss.  Wren will have a tough decision on his hands and we will have already missed the early signing period.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

As it stands, I believe he should be gone. That said if I'm playing along, it depends if we see personnel/gameplan changes.

If he does the same thing he's been doing and stumbles into an 8 win season due to a weak schedule, injuries, and/or bad weather games where the other team fumbles 3+ times, I'm out. If we make some big personnel and/or gameplan changes and get to an 8-4 regular season, followed by say 1-1 in a CCF and bowl game but the reason we turn the corner is being he's flexible and tries out something new, I won't be disgusted at another year or two. I just don't think you can be this stubborn to keep running out the same team when the results aren't there and be successful long term.

36 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

As it stands, I believe he should be gone. That said if I'm playing along, it depends if we see personnel/gameplan changes.

If he does the same thing he's been doing and stumbles into an 8 win season due to a weak schedule, injuries, and/or bad weather games where the other team fumbles 3+ times, I'm out. If we make some big personnel and/or gameplan changes and get to an 8-4 regular season, followed by say 1-1 in a CCF and bowl game but the reason we turn the corner is being he's flexible and tries out something new, I won't be disgusted at another year or two. I just don't think you can be this stubborn to keep running out the same team when the results aren't there and be successful long term.

Most make excuses for loses, you make excuses for wins.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Most make excuses for loses, you make excuses for wins.

Do you actually believe we were better than UTSA last year if not for the rain and muffed punts? I'll take the win on the stat sheet but I won't let it deceive me either. If we limp to an 8 win season due to the failures of others, that doesn't mean the quality of our product is worth 8 wins. That deception is why SL is still here.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Do you actually believe we were better than UTSA last year if not for the rain and muffed punts? I'll take the win on the stat sheet but I won't let it deceive me either. If we limp to an 8 win season due to the failures of others, that doesn't mean the quality of our product is worth 8 wins. That deception is why SL is still here.

You are making the assumption that UTSA team would have won on a fine clear day.

What I saw was a fired up ready to go home team take on a team that thought they would easily win.  None of which is weather related. 

What do you base your obvious assumption that NT was a better wet field team.  NT relied on running as they had the #1 rushing offense in the conference.  However, UTSA was number 2, so I don't see a big advantage. 

Emotion is often the equalizer in sports, and I think that is where NT had the advantage and that is generally created by the coaching staff.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Noted, and the reason why I thought this thread was important. We all know various eyes look at these forums, so let it be know that no outcome of this season can change your mind. 

It's just time for a change.Littrell needs a change of scenery and we need a new coach going into the AAC .

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2