Wren Baker to Georgia Tech?

cousin oliver

14 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Multiple things may be in play. Wren might not have the freedom he wants along with internal politics of the University and it would seem a bit bothersome to have to deal with a crappy predecessor who has the ear of the largest donors at all football events and other. Where said predecessor talks and laughs while you are addressing the crowd with no respect at football events. 

you know what if WB does not want to be here anymore for whatever reason, then please will he just GTFO!! Stop taking a paycheck if you do not want to run the department. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, Pellom said:

Watch this space. Have heard from a media connection buddy that Wren wants out. 

Might not be GT but he’s had a lot of interviews over the past year. 

Not sure an AD that wants out is walking the parking lot on gamedays talking to fans. I don’t doubt he’s taken interviews though bc that’s the nature of athletics. 

• Upvote 5

53 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Not sure an AD that wants out is walking the parking lot on gamedays talking to fans. I don’t doubt he’s taken interviews though bc that’s the nature of athletics. 

I'd say its the nature of the world of work. Always be interviewing- we constantly want to know our value.

We are 100% a stepping stone job right now. No shame in that. If Wren moves up that just means his colleagues thought highly of him. What's most important is that we get the next hire right. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, untbowler said:

you know what if WB does not want to be here anymore for whatever reason, then please will he just GTFO!! Stop taking a paycheck if you do not want to run the department. 

Would you do that if you were getting paid that much? If you say that you'd quit, you're not telling the truth.

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Why does everyone seem to want Wren Baker gone?  I think he's been the best AD at UNT since I can remember.  Please enlighten me on your displeasure.  Was it a "one-time" parking lot issue?  The fact that he gave Littrell a big contract extension and now we want to get rid of Littrell (on this I agree) but can't afford the buyout price?

Yes, Littrell is a problem.  He could do no wrong when we had a QB(Fine).  And here we are.  Unable to buy-out the head coach's contract.  Just remember, we are not UT or TAMU, etc.

I think it is because many see Wren coddling Seth and allowing him to continue towards mediocrity.   I just get the feeling we could do better with another coach and Wren is sort of protecting Seth to keep the Loveless family happy.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Why does everyone seem to want Wren Baker gone?  I think he's been the best AD at UNT since I can remember.  Please enlighten me on your displeasure.  Was it a "one-time" parking lot issue?  The fact that he gave Littrell a big contract extension and now we want to get rid of Littrell (on this I agree) but can't afford the buyout price?

Yes, Littrell is a problem.  He could do no wrong when we had a QB(Fine).  And here we are.  Unable to buy-out the head coach's contract.  Just remember, we are not UT or TAMU, etc.

Honestly, first couple of years our athletic department was on fire. Marketing stepped up, our design department was lit, the team seemed to be on an upward trajectory. Then we just...stopped? A lot of upwards progress those first few years followed by a lot of noise and no progress.

This is all football related though. BBall is great

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Love The Wren! I just feel like we have zero football momentum.  Gameday messes for the fan, 0.500 program, etc

Second that!  Love him too and the incredible work he's done.  I would add that I wouldn't support upping his salary or trying to compete financially to keep him. 

I think there are a lot of quality options for hungry and innovative AD's that can continue the growth that has occurred here under Wren (full credit for a lot of things) at the same cost (salary, bonuses, etc).

I also think it looks good that he would be going to an ACC/Power 5 program - it increases the value of how the AD position is viewed by potential candidates, that one could go from UNT to a Power 5 AD position.

If he is an eventual finalist for the position*, I think he knows you can't bank on these things coming around all the time, strike while the iron's hot.

*I don't think he will be but being wrong here would be a pleasant surprise as it would mean that UNT is seen in the industry, amongst others and industry leaders, as having made great strides in Athletics under his leadership.

Edited by Pseudo Nym
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Wren is the best AD since I’ve been around and that goes back to 1976.
He hired GRant, but more importantly how he hired him. When Wren arrived he looked at the available bb coaches and decided the right coach wasn’t available at the time so he stuck it out for one more year to get a home run coach rather than just settle for anyone different.  Wren was patient and thus hit a home run as a result.

Wren developed a plan to be ready when the next conference shake up happened. By being patient and executing his plan, NT was so well positioned that the President of SMU said we were the most ready to moved up to the AAC!  Instead of being the last one in, the AAC was “who do we add besides NT.” Again, patience in executing a plan made a huge difference in the outcome. 
Bill Byrne, a former AD at Texas A&M, said the difference between a good AD and a great AD was having patience when the fan base had none. Fans are too fickle to be trusted with making real decisions. That is why universities hire someone with patience to be an AD. 
Wren is the best AD in at least 45 years. We’re not getting rid of him because some fans with incomplete knowledge of the real alternatives want “change.” 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

5.  Coddling Seth.....this is laughable.   Lovelace would fire his grandmother if she wasn't performing.

Fly, take a step back and think about what the rest of us see: it does not appear that way AT ALL.

Also, I wish Vito would stop all his pro-SL talk.  It's pretty apparent that he is comparing our results to Old Denton, and not to what our spending should demand.  And I wonder if Lovelace and Co eat all that pro-SL stuff up.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

• 2 weeks later...