Wren Baker to Georgia Tech?

cousin oliver

14 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I would like to see UNT add an entire three-day mandatory spirit camp for incoming students, maybe up at lake Ray Roberts like aTm's Fish Camp, in addition to orientation. All incoming students that are junior level and below.

But the administration and the faculty would have to be an active part of this. If any faculty stand against it, they can be shown the door. Faculty and TAs promote sports in class before game days, especially Football and Basketball. 

When I was a student here a long, long time ago there was a pep rally before each home game in front of the brand new student union.  In retrospect, I believe that the rally was held on Friday noon.  In addition, each fraternity sat together under their flag/banner and had a friendly competition on who could be the loudest and show the most spirit.  I'd like to suggest that we do something similar beginning with next year's home games.  Have a spirit cup that passes from organization to organization based on who has the most spirit.  Perhaps let the fraternity or sorority that wins it the most that year keep the trophy.   I'd also recommend that trailers advertising the game opponent and the time of the game be placed on campus the day before the game.  Let the cheerleaders be the judges.

• Upvote 5

We write as if this lack of culture, support, and interest was unique to North Texas. It is not.

If you have ever been to an away game at any of our C-USA conference mates, you will  most likely see more empty seats than occupied.  

There are any number of articles speaking to the declining interest and attendance of football programs across the board, including the big boys. People are just not interested and it is getting worse.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

We write as if this lack of culture, support, and interest was unique to North Texas. It is not.

If you have ever been to an away game at any of our C-USA conference mates, you will  most likely see more empty seats than occupied.  

There are any number of articles speaking to the declining interest and attendance of football programs across the board, including the big boys. People are just not interested and it is getting worse.

Part lack of interest (cost is too much relative to demand)
Part technology.  Why spend your afternoon outside in 97 degree temps when you can park you and your friends in your man cave with all the beer you can handle, 4 TV screens showing all your favorite games, and all while being air conditioned to your hearts content? Heck! halftime rolls around, you don't have to treck back to your tailgate to flip on your game console and play your favorite game for 20 minutes.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Part of it is because bowl games don’t mean anything anymore - and of course because we don’t play for national championships at this level. 

As soon as you lose a couple of games the season is over.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Not sure how you come to this conclusion after what’s been built facility wise the past decade and having a president who has said multiple times athletics is the front porch of a university and had a role in getting us to the AAC.
Just because a coach has probably been kept a year too long doesn’t mean the school neglects athletics. 

30 years of experience. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I agree with you on the first 20 years of your experience, but I think its easy to see things have changed a lot since about 2012.

He has about 8 years on me, but I totally agree with you.  I think some are just myopic in what they see happening in front of their face.    It's painfully obvious Littrell is being retained too long.

That said, his 30 years (and my 22) explains why it's so frustrating to see football sink back down to sub-par, and just spin wheels for 4 seasons when you watched it climb out to 9-win seasons and a Conference championship game appearance not that long ago.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Sorry to be so skeptical, but how in the world would Wren want out of an easy job that pays him $750K?

Multiple things may be in play. Wren might not have the freedom he wants along with internal politics of the University and it would seem a bit bothersome to have to deal with a crappy predecessor who has the ear of the largest donors at all football events and other. Where said predecessor talks and laughs while you are addressing the crowd with no respect at football events. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Sorry to be so skeptical, but how in the world would Wren want out of an easy job that pays him $750K?

Get paid twice as much? Get the freedom to do what you feel is best for your job and employer?

There's this notion floating around that the sad state of our football program is due to no one up top having expectations.  Did it ever dawn on anyone that all these people coming in out of our office fail (or have zero impact) because the state of athletics is actually controlled by a very small few who do not want things to change?

Throwing that out there, not because I have any idea which one it is, but because maybe it needs to be talked about.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I'm guessing 5-7 years at one school is probably the cycle of an AD on the rise.   The Athletic Center needs a major expansion and renovation.  The fans and donors are restless because the main revenue sport (football) is dragging on the program, and nothing seemingly can be done because of $$.  Sometimes a new set of problems elsewhere looks easier.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Get paid twice as much? Get the freedom to do what you feel is best for your job and employer?

There's this notion floating around that the sad state of our football program is due to no one up top having expectations.  Did it ever dawn on anyone that all these people coming in out of our office fail (or have zero impact) because the state of athletics is actually controlled by a very small few who do not want things to change?

Throwing that out there, not because I have any idea which one it is, but because maybe it needs to be talked about.

What very small few are controlling NT athletics that don't want to win?  This is a familiar theme on this board that to me is nonsensical. 

Littrell may or may not have friends in high places that donate a lot, however I really doubt any of them don't want the program to be successful.  

Most of the known big donors were big donors before Littrell and Baker and hopefully will be post Littrell and Baker. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

AD salaries are not equal to head football coaches.  I would bet $750k puts Wren very close to the top 15 percent of AD salaries in the country.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

What very small few are controlling NT athletics that don't want to win?  This is a familiar theme on this board that to me is nonsensical. 

Littrell may or may not have friends in high places that donate a lot, however I really doubt any of them don't want the program to be successful.  

I don't think for a second that they want doom and gloom in Denton.  They want success.  But they can have their friends, and are much much less inclined to pull the trigger while said friends are winning games here and there.

I didn't say they don't want to win.  I said they don't want things to change.  So, as long as the program is winning more than Old Denton, it's good enough to not have to fire their golfing buddies.

To reiterate: I don't know one way or the other.  But as long as we keep this going at 0.500, over and over, the idea is only going to get more traction.

PS: It may be unfair because they are (I heard?) lifelong friends, but the reality for Mr. Lovelace is that he is going to carry this burden as long as he is such a big part of our budget, and continues to rub elbows with the people that are supposed to be getting results.

Edited by greenminer

2 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

AD salaries are not equal to head football coaches.  I would bet $750k puts Wren very close to the top 15 percent of AD salaries in the country.

Does Wren have any compensation that is not salary?

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-highest-paid-ads-in-college-sports-are-athletic-directors-salary-database-jack-swarbrick

I enjoy going to the games for the atmosphere, friends, the band and the sometimes win.  I think one thing that ruin the game day experience is the red man who always stops the games for media breaks.  He really slows down the game and the game would take less time if he was not there.  I wish they could just keep playing and put the tv/radio on a few minutes of delay so the red man doesn't ruin the in person game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

One thing that may hurt WB on the Georgia Tech job:

Cabrera and Neville, Cabrera’s chief of staff, will look for an AD candidate who represents Tech’s values, understands the complexities of college athletics in the era of the transfer portal and athletes being able to profit off their name, image and likeness rights and who knows college football and can lead the team.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

This is 4 years old.

This dentonrc article details the current contract. $625k for the first year starting in 2021 and goes up 25k per year until maxing at 800k in 2028. Also has a few retention bonuses. That said, I don't think he's anywhere near the top 15 in AD salaries nationwide.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/unt-athletic-director-secures-contract-extension-into-2029/article_339cc6d6-52f8-5201-aad9-c10d6eaf7c4d.html#:~:text=Baker's base salary started at,March 1 starting at %24100%2C000.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1