For those still in Seth’s corner.

Tom McKrackin

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Wren's guy is Justin Fuente, who doesn't currently have a job.

He's just saving money at this point

I’d be pretty sad if that were the case because that could have been set up last offseason.  

Fuente is chilling on a couch somewhere.   He can be had at any time if he’s truly Baker’s guy.  No need to wait around & risk some other disgruntled G5 somewhere beat him to the punch.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I’d be pretty sad if that were the case because that could have been set up last offseason.  

Fuente is chilling on a couch somewhere.   He can be had at any time if he’s truly Baker’s guy.  No need to wait around & risk some other disgruntled G5 somewhere beat him to the punch.

I’m not confident enough to say Fuente is definitely the guy, although it makes a ton of sense. 

But if he is, and there’s an agreement behind the scenes, I don’t think Fuente would want to step on Seth’s toes. I think there’s more respect in the coaching community than that. And for that reason I don’t think a move will be made until there’s zero alternative (or until the end of the season when there can be a mutual parting of ways). 

1 minute ago, Pellom said:

I’m not confident enough to say Fuente is definitely the guy, although it makes a ton of sense. 

But if he is, and there’s an agreement behind the scenes, I don’t think Fuente would want to step on Seth’s toes. I think there’s more respect in the coaching community than that. And for that reason I don’t think a move will be made until there’s zero alternative (or until the end of the season when there can be a mutual parting of ways). 

It would be Wren's job to step on Seth's toes.    THEN bring Fuente (or whoever else) in.

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It would be Wren's job to step on Seth's toes.    THEN bring Fuente (or whoever else) in.

Well, I’m just not sure there’s much benefit to it at this level. At a P5 I understand getting a jump start on recruiting, but here so much of the recruiting work is done late because we’re waiting to take guys who fall to us. 

I just tend to believe there’s a ton of respect between Wren and Seth, and that there may be an agreement in place to let him see out the end of this season and replace him at that point. Unless of course the results bottom out to a point where it makes it untenable to continue down the same path. 

I tend to believe Steven Godfrey’s reporting on the matter - that a mutual parting of ways is coming. And if that agreement has been made, I doubt very strongly Wren will fire him before the season ends. 

• Downvote 1

On 9/27/2022 at 1:37 PM, The Hill said:

Touche....enjoy your continued climb from the bottom to sub mediocrity

Speaking of "sub mediocrity" how is it going in that world?  You've been there for a while. Any advice on how to live in "submediocrityville", you know, from an expert's point of view?

12 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

They worked very closely at Memphis and won the AAC together.  It just makes sense.  

It does make sense.  But when someone says he is top target, IMO, that means there is some kind of indication from the press (Vito, ESPN with inside source, etc) that says so.

Even if we have inside sources on GMG.com, IMO it needs to be published somewhere that's not a message board.

Twitter is blurring the lines between formal/informal, so maybe one day a sports message board can be considered similarly authentic.  But right now I'm just not ready to make that leap.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 11:25 AM, greenminer said:

It does make sense.  But when someone says he is top target, IMO, that means there is some kind of indication from the press (Vito, ESPN with inside source, etc) that says so.

Even if we have inside sources on GMG.com, IMO it needs to be published somewhere that's not a message board.

Twitter is blurring the lines between formal/informal, so maybe one day a sports message board can be considered similarly authentic.  But right now I'm just not ready to make that leap.

Half of the press you listed have got most of there breaking news/stories from message boards. 

• Haha 2

I need to see 4 straight victories to want him back. 8-4 is my new floor after today. This team is freaking close. We should be 6-2 at worst right now but we fail to get players to execute or to play the ones that can. Either way, the talent is there but the quarterback and receivers keep tripping over their own Ds. That is what will end up costing SL his job. When a team loads up the box like that you have to be able to make them pay dearly for it every time. Our quarterback simply cannot do that with his legs or his arm. I love the work he puts in but dammit you just can’t make bad passes like that this deep in your career.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 9/27/2022 at 12:34 PM, MrAlien said:

I am not in favor of firing him, because I do not believe there is a realistic better option out there for a head coach.  The university will not commit to spending the necessary funds to bring in a good coach.  more then likely they would hire a coach just like SL, and probably will not be any cheaper. 

You sir are an AD's dream because you have crossed the line between fan and sucker.  And you can get a good coach with 2 million per year.   Keeping him here at a higher salary if he is successful is a different challenge that we should welcome.  Having that mindset will eventually end the program being in the same level of football with Texas Tech, Houston, Baylor, SMU and TCU.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1