For those still in Seth’s corner.

Tom McKrackin

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

I am not in favor of firing him, because I do not believe there is a realistic better option out there for a head coach.  The university will not commit to spending the necessary funds to bring in a good coach.  more then likely they would hire a coach just like SL, and probably will not be any cheaper. 

I dont hate the play calling, it might be a little more aggressive then some of the players can manage at times, but fortune favors the bold.

Please go back to Mars,  Mr.Alien. If Ms.Alien is hot you can at least leave her here. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You do know that Littrell makes $2million/yr, right?   What did you think he was making?   

Or, I guess more importantly, how much money does it take (in your mind) to hire a good football coach?

Any reputable coach is going to want to bring in his own staff of assistant coaches, so you have to commit to spending some serious cash.  Lets be honest, UNT is not high on anyone's list of coaching jobs, so I would expect them to have to overpay to lure an established coaching staff here. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

17 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I agree with your point, but I sure wish they would throw Patty Cobbs a pass and force the new staff to adopt him.  He  is a graduate, former letterman and bleeds green.

I honestly think any decent HC would see what Cobbs has done here & retain him.   …Unless he has his own RBs guy he can’t live without (Like Bennett has Gush).

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Any reputable coach is going to want to bring in his own staff of assistant coaches, so you have to commit to spending some serious cash.  Lets be honest, UNT is not high on anyone's list of coaching jobs, so I would expect them to have to overpay to lure an established coaching staff here. 

If a coach moves, he virtually never brings his entire staff with him.  If he was successful at his previous stop, usually his OC/DC will get a crack at keeping it going at the former school.  

$2mil/yr will be plenty for now.   Perform, and earn more.

• Upvote 3

This thread is peak gmg. We have TFLF trolling under a pseudonym, we got our own fans saying we will never make it any better because we don’t pay enough, even though SL is the highest paid coach in our league. Then, we get a fan from another regional private school looking down on us as being a spare. And then we get fans posting outrage about these takes.

Its gmg.com in a nutshell:

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't see anymore people that want SL back.

If anything we have a small population of people that either, 1) think it's fair to see this season play out.   2) think we are too broke to buy out his contract early.

1 may be true.  I doubt that 2 is true.  It may be hard to believe but we've had more than a million dollars of revenue over expenses the last two years and with the increase in students should be able to cover Seth's salary.  Now I don't know about losing any dollars from the BMD.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

I agree with your point, but I sure wish they would throw Patty Cobbs a pass and force the new staff to adopt him.  He  is a graduate, former letterman and bleeds green.

Im guessing Patrick and all the assistant coaches will be allowed to interview with the new HC.  I’m biased but would like to see Patrick and some of the other coaches on the staff be retained.

Edited by meangreenfaninno
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This thread is peak gmg. We have TFLF trolling under a pseudonym, we got our own fans saying we will never make it any better because we don’t pay enough, even though SL is the highest paid coach in our league. Then, we get a fan from another regional private school looking down on us as being a spare. And then we get fans posting outrage about these takes.

Its gmg.com in a nutshell:

WhimsicalPertinentGourami-size_restricte

• Haha 1

Looking at empty seats and the smuu disaster which, on its own (would cause people not to come back) would cause a large money loss in addition to sl's salary we are losing our ass. I wonder IF the football was packing the stadium, how much money we would produce to do the building we need to do in our sports? 

So, if you want NT to be successful lose sl or fill the stadium in spite of him!

20 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Please go back to Mars,  Mr.Alien. If Ms.Alien is hot you can at least leave her here. 

What makes you think the university will actually go out and established head coach?   I am all for a coaching change if its for a better coach, but not if its just another first time head coach trying to prove himself.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, MrAlien said:

What makes you think the university will actually go out and established head coach?   I am all for a coaching change if its for a better coach, but not if its just another first time head coach trying to prove himself.  

Doesn’t have to be an established Head Coach, but it does need to be a Coach with good history under his belt.  Seth was a good hire at the time and another coach with the same pedigree would be a great place to start. This program needs change in a very bad way at this point. 

50 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don't think we will ever know, but I can't put it past Baker that he has a specific guy in mind and is just waiting for him to be available.

Let's take a trip down memory lane...

The date is October 15th.    UNT has just had our brakes beaten off by Marshall at home.   It's a foregone conclusion it's not working & Littrell needs to go.   Wheels are in motion.   Conversations are being had.

There are rumors swirling about NT already identifying "their guy", but waiting to pull the trigger at least until a winning season is officially ruled out if not until after the season is complete. 

The following week, NT loses a heartbreaker to a very good Malik-Willis led Liberty team.    The end is almost in sight!  2 days later, Texas Tech fires Matt Wells mid-season.  

Less than 2 weeks later, on November 8th, Texas Tech comes to terms with Joey McGuire (NT's "guy").  Meanwhile North Texas is on a 2-game win streak, just allowing the wound to fester.

I'd say Texas Tech's mid-year firing/hiring worked out pretty well for them so far!

Then North Texas beat UTSA by happenstance, securing Littrell through a few more weeks for a bowl game.  Well, we all know what happened in the bowl game.

Wren cannot afford to "wait" again if he has someone he wants. 

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The date is October 15th.    UNT has just had our brakes beaten off by Marshall at home.   It's a foregone conclusion it's not working & Littrell needs to go.   Wheels are in motion.   Conversations are being had.

There are rumors swirling about NT already identifying "their guy", but waiting to pull the trigger at least until a winning season is officially ruled out if not until after the season is complete. 

The following week, NT loses a heartbreaker to a very good Malik-Willis led Liberty team.    The end is almost in sight!  2 days later, Texas Tech fires Matt Wells mid-season.  

Less than 2 weeks later, on November 8th, Texas Tech comes to terms with Joey McGuire (NT's "guy").  Meanwhile North Texas is on a 2-game win streak, just allowing the wound to fester.

I'd say Texas Tech's mid-year firing/hiring worked out pretty well for them so far!

Then North Texas beat UTSA by happenstance, securing Littrell through a few more weeks for a bowl game.  Well, we all know what happened in the bowl game.

I haven’t ever hear those Joey McGuire rumors to UNT…if that is true, we whiffed badly. But Joey McGuire made several more millions by getting to Tech instead of here, just because of their TV money.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I haven’t ever hear those Joey McGuire rumors to UNT…if that is true, we whiffed badly. But Joey McGuire made several more millions by getting to Tech instead of here, just because of their TV money.

So you are telling me that if we fire 2 days before Tech does that McGuire chooses us and ignores Tech’s P5 wooing? Get out of here with that nonsense.

• Eye Roll 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

So you are telling me that if we fire 2 days before Tech does that McGuire chooses us and ignores Tech’s P5 wooing? Get out of here with that nonsense.

I never said that...my point is that if we could've gotten him before Tech did, we made a colossal mistake. But no matter what interest we had, Joey McGuire won big time by getting the Tech job over us--he makes millions more than he would've here and gets to coach in a power league.

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

I never said that...my point is that if we could've gotten him before Tech did, we made a colossal mistake. But no matter what interest we had, Joey McGuire won big time by getting the Tech job over us--he makes millions more than he would've here and gets to coach in a power league.

I agree but I think us getting him before Tech would’ve been inconsequential because I feel he and his agent would’ve backed away from the table as soon as Tech calling. Our best hope in that situation is the contract is already signed and Tech has to buy him out from us.

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

No.   I'm saying that if we fired Seth after the Marshall game, and get a deal hammered out with the guy we wanted quickly, we might have beaten Tech to the punch.     
It was a response to Miner's musing that Baker may already have a guy he wants... just waiting for something to happen before he pursues.    That's a dangerous proposition, IMO.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No.   I'm saying that if we fired Seth after the Marshall game, and get a deal hammered out with the guy we wanted quickly, we might have beaten Tech to the punch.     
It was a response to Miner's musing that Baker may already have a guy he wants... just waiting for something to happen before he pursues.    That's a dangerous proposition, IMO.

Wren's guy is Justin Fuente, who doesn't currently have a job.

He's just saving money at this point

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1