Kansas Jayhawks

Big Z

55 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

They hired a former D3 QB as HC. He was hired in April of 2021. Strange how that coincides with Daniels increasing his completion percentage by 20%.

Screenshot_20220926-133552_Chrome.jpg.329846fcb0ce345c5703fcce30efd994.jpg

A lot of his passing records still stand to today. That d3 coach won 6 national championships, Was the fastest coach in ncaa history to reach 100 wins, did so in 106 games , turned 
Buffalo around and is in the process of turning Kansas around. He grew up 6 miles from me.

• Upvote 6

28 minutes ago, untphd said:

A lot of his passing records still stand to today. That d3 coach won 6 national championships, Was the fastest coach in ncaa history to reach 100 wins, did so in 106 games , turned 
Buffalo around and is in the process of turning Kansas around. He grew up 6 miles from me.

I started reading up about him when watching Kansas' most recent game against Duke. I wasn't calling him a D3 player/coach to downplay his achievements; I brought it up because he played quarterback at a decent level and I believe that's contributed to his success. He understands what it takes to play the position and it's translating to impressive results for his quarterbacks. I hope we look at guys with similar experience to lead UNT next.

He has changed my perception on hiring a HC from a lower football classification. While I do think we should prioritize somebody with HC experience, I hope we don't disqualify somebody if it wasn't at the FBS level.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I started reading up about him when watching Kansas' most recent game against Duke. I wasn't calling him a D3 player/coach to downplay his achievements; I brought it up because he played quarterback at a decent level and I believe that's contributed to his success. He understands what it takes to play the position and it's translating to impressive results for his quarterbacks. I hope we look at guys with similar experience to lead UNT next.

He has changed my perception on hiring a HC from a lower football classification. While I do think we should prioritize somebody with HC experience, I hope we don't disqualify somebody if it wasn't at the FBS level.

Gotch ya

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

How about a juco player that coached for a NAIA championship? Or a high school player that coached for a juco championship? 

What are we doing here. The path they take is trivial. Knowledge and ability to recruit is important far greater. 

How about a 4th grade schoolyard superstar player that grew up to take a D2 intramural team to a 7 on 7 City League title? Any of those out there? 

• Haha 3

Go Goddamn Hawks. Amazing how quick a turnaround you can have with the right personnel in place. Almost as if 7 years is more than enough time to know a coach isn’t good enough. KU is the silver lining I have in this goddawful season we are having 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

How about a juco player that coached for a NAIA championship? Or a high school player that coached for a juco championship? 

What are we doing here. The path they take is trivial. Knowledge and ability to recruit is important far greater. 

How do you measure "knowledge and ability to recruit" without looking at somebody's path? What are we doing here? If the path they take is trivial, I guess an offensive lineman coaching quarterbacks shouldn't be a problem as long as he's knowledgeable, right? There's only so much studying somebody can do until they hit a wall. Real world experience still matters.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

How do you measure "knowledge and ability to recruit" without looking at somebody's path? What are we doing here? If the path they take is trivial, I guess an offensive lineman coaching quarterbacks shouldn't be a problem as long as he's knowledgeable, right? There's only so much studying somebody can do until they hit a wall. Real world experience still matters.

Sure, it matters. But don't tell me that X coach is going to be a succes because Y coach was successful. All things equal, personality = recruiting. Recruiting = winning. That is the number 1 criteria to being a successful football coach in today's climate. And don't come at me about SL has recruited well. That is only a sliver of truth. A successful coach will be able to retain his top talent from top classes or go replace departing talent with equal or greater talent while still recruiting his tail off. Seth Litrell does not come off as being a personable person. Therefore, he will never be a good to great head coach or top coordinator closing on recruits

Bottom line, go get a recruiter (that can get quality coordinators that can also recruit) and I don't give a damn what his (their) path was. 

I should point out that I find it hilarious that not long ago, many on this board were making fun of KU and their football program. Now, I have no doubt they would kick our ass if we played them tomorrow. I saw this coming as soon as Leipold was hired. Now how many of you wish we were in the same place as KU? 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Sure, it matters. But don't tell me that X coach is going to be a succes because Y coach was successful. All things equal, personality = recruiting. Recruiting = winning. That is the number 1 criteria to being a successful football coach in today's climate. And don't come at me about SL has recruited well. That is only a sliver of truth. A successful coach will be able to retain his top talent from top classes or go replace departing talent with equal or greater talent while still recruiting his tail off. Seth Litrell does not come off as being a personable person. Therefore, he will never be a good to great head coach or top coordinator closing on recruits

Bottom line, go get a recruiter (that can get quality coordinators that can also recruit) and I don't give a damn what his (their) path was. 

The number 1 criteria to being a successful head football coach is being a good leader. I guess number 2 is being flexible.

Looking at Leipold, he posted one 10 win season in his 6 years at Buffalo. He followed that 10 win season with 8 wins, then 6 out of 7 during the covid year posting .857 winning percentage in that 2020 season. Talk about being a good recruiter and retaining talent, he actually lost his 2018 MAC OPOY quarterback to the transfer portal 4 days after their 2018 bowl game. The quarterback didn't find a landing spot and went to the NFL where he's now a TE. Despite having no passing attack, Leipold adjusted their style of play to the strengths of the team and he kept winning on the heels of a strong run game. So, let's see... he lost his QB, couldn't replace the production of the former QB, and kept winning. Interesting.

Every coach loses players to the portal, going pro, quitting football, grades, whatever. Those who keep winning are those who adjust their game to fit their personnel. Square peg, round hole don't work.

Coaches catch lighting in a bottle with one great quarterback and then people wonder why they can't keep up the success when the quarterback graduates or goes pro. The 2020 LSU tigers threw more passes per game without Joe Burrow than in 2019 with him. They were never going to replace that production even with all the great recruiting classes. They didn't adjust and fell off.

This has been a conversation for a while now in NFL talk. You've got the top talent in the world spread across 32 teams with largely the same teams picking 1-5 every year just accumulating talent and yet the poor seldom get richer. You can be the most talented QB in history, if you go 1st overall to the Cleveland Browns it doesn't matter. Having the best talent around doesn't matter if the coaches aren't putting them in a position to succeed. Good coaching can make up for iffy talent.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

I’ve been to Kansas before. No thank you. 

You haven’t been to Lawrence then…that place is gorgeous. It sits on a very hilly campus and has a great feel to it.  It’s basically a more beautiful version of  Denton, but with a gigantic appreciation of sports instead of apathy and loathing.

KU has cash…lots of cash. They just couldn’t get the right hire. It appears that they have found one now. Of course, when your hoops team wins the title, bringing in money that most football teams bring in, that helps the bottom line out a lot. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

On 9/26/2022 at 9:25 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

At our level we can't take a chance on someone that hasn't coached and recruited at a higher level.  How would you know that he has knowledge and ability to recruit at that level?

• Skeptical Eagle 1