News Flash

MeanGreen_MBA

• Harry featured this topic
55 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Should we lose these games?

That's not the point and if that is your take than i'm guessing your in the camp that is looking for a reason to keep Seth. No, we need to win every game we can, but beating bad teams does not mean we have our program heading in the right direction

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

That's not the point and if that is your take than i'm guessing your in the camp that is looking for a reason to keep Seth. No, we need to win every game we can, but beating bad teams does not mean we have our program heading in the right direction

What games are we supposed to play this year?  We have the games on our schedule to play. We need to win as many of those games that we have on our schedule; not some random “better” teams you figure we should be winning. Let it play out.

if we clear the table, I suspect it would be a more successful season than most on the forum expected  we have 7 games left  let’s win 5-7 of those games and celebrate

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

What games are we supposed to play this year?  We have the games on our schedule to play. We need to win as many of those games that we have on our schedule; not some random “better” teams you figure we should be winning. Let it play out.

if we clear the table, I suspect it would be a more successful season than most on the forum expected  we have 7 games left  let’s win 5-7 of those games and celebrate

It’s just a bad re-run we’ve already seen.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Winning 5 conference games isn't something to celebrate. We want to build teams that compete for championships, not teams that can only tread water enough to become bowl eligible. New coach? Yes that's acceptable, but not year 7 for a program. 

• Upvote 3

I understand the sentiment and appreciate a positive perspective, but it’s not hard to project mediocrity into the near future when taking in the evidence of this season and that of seasons past. 

It would be working against the trend to expect anything more than .500 football from here out. And frankly that’s not good enough in year 7. 

But anything is possible!

Edited by Pellom
  • Upvote 2

If we win out (not likely, I think), we wind up 9-3 and 2-2 against future conference mates.  It would be hard to let SL go.  On the other hand, a loss to UTSA (especially if it is a low out) would mean at best 1-3 against future conference mates.  A result making retaining him unlikely.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Graddean said:

If we win out (not likely, I think), we wind up 9-3 and 2-2 against future conference mates.  It would be hard to let SL go.  On the other hand, a loss to UTSA (especially if it is a low out) would mean at best 1-3 against future conference mates.  A result making retaining him unlikely.

Your right of course @Graddean but we all know how unlikely that outcome is.  That said, he does still have a mathematical chance to have a good season and I assume the AD will cling to that for as long as they can.

• Upvote 2

I see no glory in beating the UTEP's of C-USA. The only games I'm focused on this season are against SMU, UNLV, Memphis, FAU, LA Tech, UTSA, WKU, & UAB. So far, we are 0-3 in these "better" games. I think that is a fair standard for accessing a coach in his 7th season at UNT. Personally, I think the OOC games against SMU, UNLV, & Memphis were a large enough sample size. 

Getting excited about winning the "lesser" games can cloud the judgement and give a false sense of improvement. 

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1