DRC: Five thoughts on UNT's loss to Memphis

Brett Vito

Not sure why Vito thinks NT took a step forward, after a loss to a very beatable Memphis team.

NT's goal has to be win, not beat the point spread.  

The oc is over, and it really hardly mattered, Littrell's fortune will be decided in the conference games. 

There are no powerhouses in the league, it should be wide open with almost every team having a chance. Memphis probably is as good as any league team. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

The oc is over, and it really hardly mattered, Littrell's fortune will be decided in the conference games. 

Yeah, and if he wins four we'll go to a bowl game, and there's no way Wren fires a football coach the same year he took us to a bowl game.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

It’s the same old pattern of mediocrity year after year after year. 

It’s as if these useless bowl games for 6 win teams keep us patterned in mediocrity because we can’t fire our coach.

Bowl game or not this year we need to make a change. 

Edited by UNTethered Eagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

Watching the game I was a little shocked that we were in it. The defense was playing more like what the fan base expected at the beginning of the year and was keeping it close. 
BUT when your QB barely throws over 50% completions and 2 of his 5 TD passes are to the other team (Center was responsible for the fumble with the poor snap)—that is difficult to overcome. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ADLER said:

Yeah, and if he wins four we'll go to a bowl game, and there's no way Wren fires a football coach the same year he took us to a bowl game.

That's the problem with 40+ bowl games.  Let's go back to the 80s when a bowl game really meant something.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I grew up in El Paso and went to the Sun Bowl every year until about 1976.   I some great bowl match ups and some great players. Saw Dorsett when Pits came to the Sun Bowl, Johnny Rogers when Neb was in the bowl as well as others.   The teams that were invited were all very good with 8-3 or better records.    The bowls are so water down now it is who cares. It is just something fill the space during the holidays.  I mean 6-6 NT vs Miami of Ohio. Who outside the schools would watch that game.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I grew up in El Paso and went to the Sun Bowl every year until about 1976.   I some great bowl match ups and some great players. Saw Dorsett when Pits came to the Sun Bowl, Johnny Rogers when Neb was in the bowl as well as others.   The teams that were invited were all very good with 8-3 or better records.    The bowls are so water down now it is who cares. It is just something fill the space during the holidays.  I mean 6-6 NT vs Miami of Ohio. Who outside the schools would watch that game.  

Surprisingly a lot of people watched that game. Pulled more viewers than the highest watched regular season nba game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TripleGrad said:

That's the problem with 40+ bowl games.  Let's go back to the 80s when a bowl game really meant something.

You got it, the problem with NT's football program is there is too many bowl games.

Most people (fans) have figured out that over half of the teams get bowl games.  I don't think that sways many into thinking they have a good team just because they get a low tier bowl appearance. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Well, actually getting a bowl game is a big deal.  I say that because not getting one means you really really really suck.  Look at TEXAS last year.  Regardless of how many of you may feel UNT constantly winning six games when the recruiting program is terrible is absolutely amazing.  For the most part the kids come here and work their asses off and you can actually see them getting better.  I understand high expectations, but the reality is that UNT is a long way away from being powerhouse that some of you are expecting every week.  Was I pissed yesterday afternoon, Yes because we had them on the rope and a three bad plays made a huge difference in the game.  And at the time I would have liked to see Aune get pulled.  But, after a few drinks and some rest, I am glad they did not pull him.  This experience will be huge for conference and I am ready for them to turn him lose and let him play without worrying about his mistakes.  I trust that he is the best QB that we got and will get even better.  For the first time he was like a kid in the candy store will all the weapons that we have on offense.  The game was a huge step forward for the Defense, Offense, the OC,  and the DC.  The best overall game plan that i've seen from them in along time.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Not sure either school watched it either. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, The Insider said:

Well, actually getting a bowl game is a big deal.  I say that because not getting one means you really really really suck.  Look at TEXAS last year.  Regardless of how many of you may feel UNT constantly winning six games when the recruiting program is terrible is absolutely amazing.  For the most part the kids come here and work their asses off and you can actually see them getting better.  I understand high expectations, but the reality is that UNT is a long way away from being powerhouse that some of you are expecting every week.  Was I pissed yesterday afternoon, Yes because we had them on the rope and a three bad plays made a huge difference in the game.  And at the time I would have liked to see Aune get pulled.  But, after a few drinks and some rest, I am glad they did not pull him.  This experience will be huge for conference and I am ready for them to turn him lose and let him play without worrying about his mistakes.  I trust that he is the best QB that we got and will get even better.  For the first time he was like a kid in the candy store will all the weapons that we have on offense.  The game was a huge step forward for the Defense, Offense, the OC,  and the DC.  The best overall game plan that i've seen from them in along time.   

Agree with most, but you really think one game after years is going to bolster Aune's confidence.  I really don't think Aune is suddenly going to get significantly better based on a losing game. 

IMO, Memphis was a team that NT should have beat, not a great team that NT should be happy to play close.  

I do hope NT led by Aune, will compete for the conference title.  I don't think CUSA has a team equal to Memphis and nothing close to SMU.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Reviewing CBS Sports app stats shows the Mean Green are gaining more offensive yards than opponents, scoring the same amount of points, and rushing a 1/3 more yards than their opponents to-date. Twice as many interceptions committed vs opponents, and only half the touchdowns achieved. Mean Green have more first downs than their opponents and a better 3rd down conversion percentage. Penalties and takeaways are even. Passing completion is less than 52% vs opponents almost 60%. Under 200 passing yards per game average, twice as many interceptions and only half the touchdowns when passing vs opponents. Better QB play could improve the outcome of these games…

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Agree with most, but you really think one game after years is going to bolster Aune's confidence.  I really don't think Aune is suddenly going to get significantly better based on a losing game. 

IMO, Memphis was a team that NT should have beat, not a great team that NT should be happy to play close.  

I do hope NT led by Aune, will compete for the conference title.  I don't think CUSA has a team equal to Memphis and nothing close to SMU.  

To be honest, I don't think he needs a confidence booster and his accuracy will likely not improve much.  However, when they open the playbook and allow him to throw the ball it changes what defenses can do to us.  Balancing our weapons at receivers with our rushing attack will make us really strong in conference play.  We don't need him to be perfect in order to compete in conference play.  And yes we should have definitely beaten Memphis.    

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, The Insider said:

To be honest, I don't think he needs a confidence booster and his accuracy will likely not improve much.  However, when they open the playbook and allow him to throw the ball it changes what defenses can do to us.  Balancing our weapons at receivers with our rushing attack will make us really strong in conference play.  We don't need him to be perfect in order to compete in conference play.  And yes we should have definitely beaten Memphis.    

I don’t think anyone expects perfection, but 2 pick 6’s?  The second one was just demoralizing. He then threw a great pass to Maclin between the safety/corner.  I can only speak for myself, but I really liked the WR screens, the end around on the goal line, the fade to Shorter, etc. Just a bit more creativity like you alluded to earlier to make us less predictable. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, The Insider said:

The offense handed Memphis 21 points. I wouldn’t call yesterday a step forward…

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1