Ra'shaad Samples

MeanGreen2019

I would love to knock on the door for Ra'shaad Samples. He’s very young, but he is tabbed as the next hot young coaching prodigy with his work at UT and SMU, especially with recruiting. I think he could potential elevate us. He may not even consider us since he is working as a RB coach for the Rams. But if he had a desire to go back to College Football and not wait around to be a Head Coach, we might be his spot by jumping on him at the young age of 27. Would be worth it to look into.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 9

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

There is no doubt he has shown he can recruit, and his father's connections would not hurt. You would be taking a risk bringing in someone so inexperienced. 

Sure, but there is always risk in hiring someone. If he’s going to be a HC for a P5 or top tier G5 program within the next few years, maybe we can jump on him early. I just have skepticism in whether he would be interested

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

I would love to knock on the door for Ra'shaad Samples. He’s very young, but he is tabbed as the next hot young coaching prodigy with his work at UT and SMU, especially with recruiting. I think he could potential elevate us. He may not even consider us since he is working as a RB coach for the Rams. But if he had a desire to go back to College Football and not wait around to be a Head Coach, we might be his spot by jumping on him at the young age of 27. Would be worth it to look into.

Of course he recruits well, he recruited Tre Siggers right off of our roster and into the portal. Shady AF

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

• 2 months later...

While ive seen that he wants to return to CFB, i think it will be in a OC capacity or something along those lines. Ive seen him suggested as an OC candidate for A&M and a potentially very highly paid WR coach at Texas. Not sure he’d be interested in being the HC at UNT and on top of that, not sure UNT wants someone without HC experience 

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Then I would take Patrick Cobbs, one of our own, over Samples.

I love cobbs about a much as any green bleeding American can, but he's really still at best an entry level HC. Maybe if he had a solid OC job to refer to. I feel he might benefit from HC time at FCS first.

He's done fantastic work with your RB room, and they love him. I think he could find something entry level very easily

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

While ive seen that he wants to return to CFB, i think it will be in a OC capacity or something along those lines. Ive seen him suggested as an OC candidate for A&M and a potentially very highly paid WR coach at Texas. Not sure he’d be interested in being the HC at UNT and on top of that, not sure UNT wants someone without HC experience 

Well, as @MeanGreen2019 clearly just showed us above, he in-fact WOULD be interested.

But yeah, that move would be risky.    Now, several years under Dykes/Lashlee/Riley, and now McVay...  I would not hesitate at all to grab him as OC if he were interested.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

I love cobbs about a much as any green bleeding American can, but he's really still at best an entry level HC. Maybe if he had a solid OC job to refer to. I feel he might benefit from HC time at FCS first.

He's done fantastic work with your RB room, and they love him. I think he could find something entry level very easily

Samples bio:

Played at Okie St. and Houston

2016-'17: Grad assistant at Houston.

2018: Asst. WR Coach at Texas

2019: Off. Asst. for SMU

2020: Promoted to Recruiting Coordinator and RB Coach

2021: Promoted to Asst. HC

2022: RB Coach for the LA Rams.

Cobbs:

Played at UNT, earned two degrees, HOF member and All-Century Team member.

Played pro ball for NE Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers and six season for the Miami Dolphins.  Signed, but never played for NO Saints prior to retiring.

Coached at Ryan High School for six years prior to joining UNT's staff.  Learned under Bellichick and Saban.

2019: Joined UNT as RB coach

2022: Promoted to Asst HC

Why is Samples more prepared than Cobbs?

We would just be another step along the way for Samples, whereas Cobbs would be at his dream job.

12 hours ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

If that was a prerequisite for most college jobs then Kirby Smart and Dabo Swinney would have never been hired

both of these candidates had 15+ years of experience in college football at major universities before being hired... they were also both coordinators

5 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

both of these candidates had 15+ years of experience in college football at major universities before being hired... they were also both coordinators

True, Smart was Bama's DC for 7 years prior to being named GA's HC.  Swinney was a GA, WR/TE, TE, WR, WR, AHC/WR and interim HC/OC (1 season) prior to being named HC in 2009.