POLL: Gunnell or Ruder? (Plus a PB GIF)

Pseudo Nym

Gunnell or Ruder?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you more interested to see as the next man up at QB?

• Grant Gunnell
    • Jace Ruder
    • Neither, I'll explain below.

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You are crazy. His time in minor league baseball, his age, and the fact that he has a season of eligibility left is in every commentary made about him outside of local media.

You and I have a different definition of "hounding and constant questioning."

Ironically if he can't handle the ferocious UNT-Denton Media Blitz and Rabid Fanbase that never seems to leave him alone and operate under the constant barrage of questioning and the pressure of being the starting quarterback at UNT, how on earth is he going to handle the NFL?  Let alone the crushing media markets like Jacksonville, Kansas City, or Buffalo?

I suppose Brett Vito might be withering away his talent by staying at the Denton-Record Chronicle for so long with his hard hitting barrage of questions and constant hounding of our student-athletes and coaches.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Ironically if he can't handle the ferocious UNT-Denton Media Blitz and Rabid Fanbase that never seems to leave him alone and operate under the constant barrage of questioning and the pressure of being the starting quarterback at UNT, how on earth is he going to handle the NFL?  Let alone the crushing media markets like Jacksonville, Kansas City, or Buffalo?

I suppose Brett Vito might be withering away his talent by staying at the Denton-Record Chronicle for so long with his hard hitting barrage of questions and constant hounding of our student-athletes and coaches.

I imagine you and he also have a different definition of "outside of local media."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I imagine you and he also have a different definition of "outside of local media."

Any notion that any one of our student-athletes is under any kind of media pressure, hounding, or constant questioning is laughable.  Be it local, outside of local, regional, national, there is no hounding, no constant questioning, and for UNT football right now, it's probably below average coverage at best.

Media coverage and interviews are character revealing moments, and especially when it's a fluff piece with softball questions, it reveals a whole lot about priorities and where one's mind is.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

NjQCRdC.gif

You are the only one who said he couldn’t handle the media. I think he does a great job. Considering his experience as a professional baseball player, he should be. You said he was unfocused with pie in the sky dreams instead of focusing on the current season and I said he gave an answer about his future so he could focus on the season ahead instead of being badgered about his next step. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You are the only one who said he couldn’t handle the media. I think he does a great job. Considering his experience as a professional baseball player, he should be. You said he was unfocused with pie in the sky dreams instead of focusing on the current season and I said he gave an answer about his future so he could focus on the season ahead instead of being badgered about his next step. 

You literally brought up the media as an excuse for his answer as he had to deal with "constant questioning" - well if he's not being hounded, then he's what?  Just being questioned about it?  As in "oh you played for the Yankees, that must have been great?" and then "So Yankees, UNT, NFL? Tell us more?' - is this the constant questioning - if it is then this is where the focus should be shifted to UNT and the team, this isn't that difficult.

You admit that he is trying to focus on the season by giving "an answer so he could focus on the season" (paraphrased) you disregard or rather conveniently gloss over the fact that his answer personifies "me over we," and attempted to lead us to believe he had no other way to answer that question without talking about himself and the NFL, to which I provided at least two examples of how someone who's priority is the team over self (we over me), would answer that question.

And again, he's being badgered about the next step? Badgered? Give me a break.

Here's a response when being badgered: "My focus is being the best I can be for our team everyday. That means (pick some; studying, practicing hard, watching film, mentoring teammates).  My focus and our focus is on being the best we can in practice and in the film room, putting all of our energy and effort to beating the opponent on the field on Saturday."

Or, "I'm not thinking about the NFL, I'm thinking about Memphis (or TSU, UTEP, FAU, etc.)" 

Or, "Whatever happens after the season happens, my only focus is on our team here at UNT and  getting better everyday."

Or, "What's important is that we come in and work to get better, the NFL is not on my mind at the moment, my only focus is on our team and what we can do to get better."

Anything along those lines at those commentators are saying some version of "he's not thinking about the NFL, he's focused on the moment yada yada."

His experience as a professional baseball player as you mentioned, has clearly not helped him to be media savvy.  I have previously laid out examples of how a media savvy true-upperclassmen handles these questions.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

I’m ready to see him move on, sadly, but don’t forget, he was the oc at indiana and North Carolina and both teams were top 5 offenses his second year as the oc. 

That is CO Offensive Coordinator.   And his offenses gaudy numbers don’t look so good when you take away 100+ points vs Bowling Green & Indiana State.   And according to Wikipedia there were 2 listed Co Offensive Coordinators at UNC 2014 & 2015 neither were named Seth Littrell.  Like I said again too much credit for being at the right place at the right time.  We will see what he is actually made of at his next stop.  But I smell a Jason Garrett situation.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Did you see Gunnell get into the game VS TSU?   He was gimping around like he’s dealing with the same kind of “dropfoot” that Jaylon Smith had.  Are we sure Gunnell is even the same player he was at Arizona?

No I didn’t. I was driving. I’m not sure but I’m more interested in finding out with him than I am with Ruder. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Gunnell overtook Ruder this season in the same way Ruder overtook everyone last season. Personally I think it is about promises made in the transfer process but that is just speculation on my part. 

What intrigues me about Ruder is that he has the strongest arm of the group and possibly the best athleticism depending on if he or Earle is faster.

Are you certain Ruder has the stronger arm, or just based on what we’ve seen in scrimmages?  I had been told Earle could throw it about 10 yards farther than anyone else in the room. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, GreenBacker said:

Are you certain Ruder has the stronger arm, or just based on what we’ve seen in scrimmages?  I had been told Earle could throw it about 10 yards farther than anyone else in the room. 

Mine for Aune, Ruder, Earle, and Gunnell is based on velocity that I’ve seen in clips but also watching Ruder and Aune throwing on the sideline last season with Kason.

• Upvote 1

Leave Aune in. We're 2-3, we can salvage this season still. Throwing in the towel this early to get guys in game reps seems a bit too pessimistic, even for this board. It's obvious Gunnell isn't ready and I have no faith in Ruder after the abysmal start last season. A QB carousel would just throw the offense off at this point.

And none of our major QB issues will get fixed until we get a QB coach in the mix. If we want to win now, we ride with Aune, for better or worse. I'm trying to find the replay of the game on ESPN plus, but, except for the pick 6 I saw on the highlights, I'm not seeing him as the SOLE reason we are losing or not executing on offense. This offense is just dysfunctional. Adding different QBs into the mix won't magically fix that. If anything it'll make it worse.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

I wouldn’t mind seeing Earle. He’s played the most recently. I think he’d also be the most game ready. In my head, he’d be the one able to catch up to game speed the quickest.  I really don’t know, though. I jus want to see us win and maybe add some more excitement. 

GG would be fun to watch, but only with a legit week of practice with the starters…not garbage time. Same for JR. Maybe get Drummond in there, too. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

are you hoping for some kind of 2021 comeback?

Shouldn't we all be? I'm not saying it will happen, but we started the first half of last season 1-5. If we manage to get to 3-3 next weekend, we're in a better place than we were last year.

My main point is I see no evidence that any other QB on our team is going to do better or spark the team to play better.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

My main point is I see no evidence that any other QB on our team is going to do better or spark the team to play better.

I think this is funny. Some guys play better in games than in practice but they also need full time with the 1s. Can't just throw them in cold at the end of the game without being in rythm with the speed of the game with 2s and 3s and hope the performance is up to par.

We also aren't taking into account how much a change at QB can motivate others. I'd imagine some of the receivers are tired of being missed wide open and the defense is tired of getting stops just to be back on the field 4 plays later. Make a change, see how the guys rally, and you might get more out of everybody even if the QB play isn't markedly better.

Also, I see evidence that other QBs can make the team better. You just have to look at more than what they've done in limited snaps at UNT. At the end of the day, if Aune isn't making you a championship contender, change him out. You either play for championships or you play to get other guys ready, not for 6-6 bowl games.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

You either play for championships or you play to get other guys ready, not for 6-6 bowl games.

Well we're 1-1 in conference play so we're not out of that race yet.

Though I have been watching the replay (couldn't watch live). Aune only had 2 INTs but he should have had more and I'm only in the 1st quarter.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

My opinion, based solely on what I've seen in games this year and last, is that you have to ride with Aune.  This team will get to .500 with him driving the bus.  With the others we may not win another game.  I know the knee-jerk reaction is that the backup has to be better or kill the season and play for the future, but I'd rather see us get to a respectable record. 

I have no doubt that we're going to see a coaching change after this season.  The stat that shows our number of winning seasons, or under .500 seasons since coming back from D1-AA is embarrassing enough.  Get the program to where .500 is the floor.  At the very least Seth has done that.  We actually look and act like a D1 program now.  Next we need to take the step to compete for championships.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

49 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I think this is funny. Some guys play better in games than in practice but they also need full time with the 1s. Can't just throw them in cold at the end of the game without being in rythm with the speed of the game with 2s and 3s and hope the performance is up to par.

We also aren't taking into account how much a change at QB can motivate others. I'd imagine some of the receivers are tired of being missed wide open and the defense is tired of getting stops just to be back on the field 4 plays later. Make a change, see how the guys rally, and you might get more out of everybody even if the QB play isn't markedly better.

Also, I see evidence that other QBs can make the team better. You just have to look at more than what they've done in limited snaps at UNT. At the end of the day, if Aune isn't making you a championship contender, change him out. You either play for championships or you play to get other guys ready, not for 6-6 bowl games.

If only there had been some game in which we were up 3-4 scores and virtually no risk to evaluate what else you have at QB. But what for right? We don't need any kind of contingency plans.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Well we're 1-1 in conference play so we're not out of that race yet.

Though I have been watching the replay (couldn't watch live). Aune only had 2 INTs but he should have had more and I'm only in the 1st quarter.

Wait until the second pick 6 on 3rd down. The very next drive, he nearly throws another pick 6 on 3rd down but it's dropped.

For the record, I don't think interceptions are necessarily the worst thing ever when pushing the ball down field if it was a 1-on-1 50/50 ball. You put the ball for the receiver to get it and trust them to make a play. Obviously if your receiver isn't winning those battles, stop throwing them deep but that's why we love a good gunslinger. Now, when it's a late deep ball, throw in double coverage, or late short pass like both pick 6s, I'm going to blame the QB. On the first pick 6, he knew the goal was to get first down and where the receivers were going but threw it late which allowed the defense to read the route and get involved with the ball in the air. Brings me to another Aune concern. He's consistently been the starter for over a season's worth of games. If his timing is off, that's a problem.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

If only there had been some game in which we were up 3-4 scores and virtually no risk to evaluate what else you have at QB. But what for right? We don't need any kind of contingency plans.

Aune should have been done after the first quarter. We could have won that game with nothing but run plays. It was a missed opportunity to try another QB in live game action with the 1s. Instead, we got to watch our receivers outclass FCS defensive backs and make Aune look good while only completing 55% of his passes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, peanuts104 said:

Shouldn't we all be? I'm not saying it will happen, but we started the first half of last season 1-5. If we manage to get to 3-3 next weekend, we're in a better place than we were last year

Yes, hope for it!

But I see plenty of evidence that there will be no repeat of 2021, or any kind of variation of it.

yep.

• Upvote 1