POLL: Gunnell or Ruder? (Plus a PB GIF)

Pseudo Nym

Gunnell or Ruder?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you more interested to see as the next man up at QB?

• Grant Gunnell
    • Jace Ruder
    • Neither, I'll explain below.

bennet_for_gif_AdobeExpress.gif.6b076b495b0ca118565436f45211e227.gif

I'm interested to see how Ruder has progressed through practice. 

Gunnell has seen some action, Ruder intrigues me more, he's the most senior (way) after Aune, I'm thinking he's got a big chip on his shoulder and a lot to prove and it's time to give him a shot.

Cast your vote for the next man up, who you'd like to see in the game sooner rather than later?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

I don't know, never really seen them play very much.

If i were the HC in this situation on Monday I meet with the qbs and tell the starter job is up for grabs. Whoever shows the best promise I would start them on Saturday.  I give Aune the weekend off.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Seth is fighting for his job. Seeing if he has something for next season isn’t on the table. I think the time will come he’ll have to make the switch but it’ll be way later than we want. 

Pfewwwwww...... man I'm afraid you're right.... it's a whole new level of "we are really this bad right now" 

• Upvote 3

How about hiring a QB coach that has played the position?  Gunnell was good but hasn't played in two seasons (except for two short series this year) with one of those out with injuries.  Ruder has had limited experience and needs tutoring by someone who has been a quarterback coach.  Both were highly rated and I can't help but believe that both can become polished quarterbacks.  Give each a start and if they have trouble then let Aune come in and finish. 

Give Gunnell the most reps because he has two seasons of eligibility left while Ruder has only one.  I don't see any of the other quarterbacks as potential starters.  Head might be a good backup but he is a little shorter; but then so was Mason Fine. 

• Upvote 6

I have very little doubt that Aune will start every game.

Why, I have no idea in view of his performance over his NT career.   

I see a lot of let's get a QB coach at NT.  Littrell would pay absolutely no attention to him, so why spend the money.

I still don't understand why Littrell signed 3 transfer QB's, I guess were they can study under Aune before they compete for the position next season. 

It is Littrell career, he is jeopardizing; he surely knows he is gone if he doesn't turn this around in a hurry.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Seth is fighting for his job. Seeing if he has something for next season isn’t on the table. I think the time will come he’ll have to make the switch but it’ll be way later than we want. 

If he actually thinks Aune is his best bet with a year to coach up Ruder and bringing in the physically more talented Gunnel he should never have depth chart responsibilities at the FBS level again.  He holding 17 in a game of 21 with the dealer showing an Ace and the player next to him holding a king.  I don't understand it.  I have seen theories on other threads about reducing his coaching stock by Ruder or Gunnell showing they are better than Aune.  Lack of development of QB's as an offensive head coach is major indictment of his coaching acumen.  You gift our program a defensive head coach strongly endorsed by Saban, Belicheck, and Mike Tomlin with Seth as OC and I would turn it down.   I never bought into Seth being a "great” hire.  Him having experience coaching in the area was a plus but looking at the offenses he led, the hype wasn’t warranted.  Any successful Big 12 OC would have been an equally good hire or better.  He is just another “good ole boy” coach who appeared to be at the right place at the right time.  And we definitely shouldn’t have been smitten with him enough to give him an extension and raise when his salary was already near top of conference only exceed by coaches who curbed stomp his team but had their teams a shorter amount of time.  It will be interesting to see where he goes.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

If he actually thinks Aune is his best bet with a year to coach up Ruder and bringing in the physically more talented Gunnel he should never have depth chart responsibilities at the FBS level again.  He holding 17 in a game of 21 with the dealer showing an Ace and the player next to him holding a king.  I don't understand it.  I have seen theories on other threads about reducing his coaching stock by Ruder or Gunnell showing they are better than Aune.  Lack of development of QB's as an offensive head coach is major indictment of his coaching acumen.  You gift our program a defensive head coach strongly endorsed by Saban, Belicheck, and Mike Tomlin with Seth as OC and I would turn it down.   I never bought into Seth being a "great” hire.  Him having experience coaching in the area was a plus but looking at the offenses he led, the hype wasn’t warranted.  Any successful Big 12 OC would have been an equally good hire or better.  He is just another “good ole boy” coach who appeared to be at the right place at the right time.  And we definitely shouldn’t have been smitten with him enough to give him an extension and raise when his salary was already near top of conference only exceed by coaches who curbed stomp his team but had their teams a shorter amount of time.  It will be interesting to see where he goes.

I’m ready to see him move on, sadly, but don’t forget, he was the oc at indiana and North Carolina and both teams were top 5 offenses his second year as the oc. 

• Upvote 3

Gunnell came in here and immediately overtook Ruder and the others. Jace Ruder has more career INTs than Gunnell despite Gunnell having attempted over twice as many passes. Ruder also has over 10% lower completion percentage and has thrown 11 less TDs. I just don’t understand what people have seen from Ruder that still has them intrigued.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I just don’t understand what people have seen from Ruder that still has them intrigued.

What intrigues me is the mystery behind the year of practice, study, working to get better since he posted those numbers, how much has he improved?  There's a pride factor in wanting to show he's better now than he was when he posted those numbers, a chip on one's shoulder if you will..... I think for most, the numbers you mentioned would eat away at them and motivate them to do everything they could to get better, develop, and then have the drive to show they're better now than they were a year ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

I was very annoyed with the comment of the broadcaster last week, when relaying what Aune said:

"(Talking about his baseball career).....and when we caught up with him he said that 'now he wants to give the NFL a shot.'"

Alright, having high goals is important, but having your mind in the right place and being where your feet are, is even more important to achieving the short-term goals necessary to reaching the big goals. 

This is fundamental stuff..... 29 years old.... pro athlete..... GOAL SETTING 101..... leadership?

This showed me this dudes head is in the clouds, talking about the NFL (THE NFL!) leading up to a game in a season where you haven't produced enough to really even warrant being on the field as much as he has.....

He wants "to give the NFL a shot" bro..... come on man.... what is going on in practice, the locker room, in those meetings, what's the message?!?!?!.... because we got guys talking about going to the NFL, when we can't even.... like..... my brain just stopped working trying to process some of this (stuff).

We got issues.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

I listened to the same comments and it had very little to do with Aune having a good shot at playing in the NFL and everything to do with him stating unequivocally that he is not using his last year of college eligibility next season. I believe you misinterpreted what was being said.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Gunnell came in here and immediately overtook Ruder and the others. Jace Ruder has more career INTs than Gunnell despite Gunnell having attempted over twice as many passes. Ruder also has over 10% lower completion percentage and has thrown 11 less TDs. I just don’t understand what people have seen from Ruder that still has them intrigued.

Gunnell overtook Ruder this season in the same way Ruder overtook everyone last season. Personally I think it is about promises made in the transfer process but that is just speculation on my part. 

What intrigues me about Ruder is that he has the strongest arm of the group and possibly the best athleticism depending on if he or Earle is faster.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Anything besides Aune is intriguing.

The idea of "change" under SL's command intrigues me.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I believe you misinterpreted what was being said.

They attributed the quote "wants to give the NFL a shot"  to him.  Not much room for misinterpretation there, at a stretch it was implied and explicitly in the terms of "the NFL."  

However, had someone else engaged him in a line of questioning around the NFL, a player who is focused on the moment would be expected to reiterate along the lines of "my focus and our focus is on this season and our upcoming opponent, we're working everyday, studying ourselves and our opponent, finding ways to get better and win ball games."  If someone's persistent in the NFL-line of questioning, at the very least, a savvy upperclassmen would see where the conversation is going and conclude "whatever happens after the season happens, my and our focus is on getting better everyday."

If the NFL is never mentioned in response, and if it was in fact rebuked as in the example above, the commentators would have said something along the lines of "we asked him about the NFL and he shut down any talk of that.  He said his focus is on right now and getting himself and this team in a position to win ball games."

In his six years playing minor league baseball (2 Rookie, 4 A-Level), there perhaps wasn't the focus on the moment and maximizing the opportunity on a daily basis that ultimately contributed to his lack of progression.

I could give a young, inexperienced student-athlete the benefit of the doubt, but someone who has been around a little bit, supposedly a leader on the team to say anything other than "we're not going there" when it came to the NFL talk, shows me that he doesn't quite get it.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

54 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

They attributed the quote "wants to give the NFL a shot"  to him.  Not much room for misinterpretation there, at a stretch it was implied and explicitly in the terms of "the NFL."  

However, had someone else engaged him in a line of questioning around the NFL, a player who is focused on the moment would be expected to reiterate along the lines of "my focus and our focus is on this season and our upcoming opponent, we're working everyday, studying ourselves and our opponent, finding ways to get better and win ball games."  If someone's persistent in the NFL-line of questioning, at the very least, a savvy upperclassmen would see where the conversation is going and conclude "whatever happens after the season happens, my and our focus is on getting better everyday."

If the NFL is never mentioned in response, and if it was in fact rebuked as in the example above, the commentators would have said something along the lines of "we asked him about the NFL and he shut down any talk of that.  He said his focus is on right now and getting himself and this team in a position to win ball games."

In his six years playing minor league baseball (2 Rookie, 4 A-Level), there perhaps wasn't the focus on the moment and maximizing the opportunity on a daily basis that ultimately contributed to his lack of progression.

I could give a young, inexperienced student-athlete the benefit of the doubt, but someone who has been around a little bit, supposedly a leader on the team to say anything other than "we're not going there" when it came to the NFL talk, shows me that he doesn't quite get it.

Aune is a junior. He has another year of eligibility and, if he wanted to, could play next year too – at age 30.

"My wife is super supportive so, when I told her this is my last year, she said 'All right, this is your last year,’” Aune laughed.

Thing is, he wants to turn pro... again.

"I want to try to get to the NFL," said Aune. 

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/sports/college/austin-aune-unt-oldest-qb-d1-college-football/287-791ee2b1-2db7-4002-9ac3-ce76fb90d2e5

I don’t see any cockiness or looking ahead in there at all. I see a man that knows his hourglass is running out of sand and wants to move on after the season without the constant questioning of if he will return to UNT for his last season of eligibility. And the reason most other players shut down the NFL talk is because they are usually gauging their draft stock at the time and are you g with a real decision to make on what is best for their future. Aune’s NFL potential is inconsequential to his future as he is done with college football after this year. He isn’t 21 or 22, he is 29 with a full on family. His is less an announcement of jumping to the NFL and more of an announcement that he is retiring from college football.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t see any cockiness or looking ahead in there at all. I see a man that knows his hourglass is running out of sand and wants to move on after the season without the constant questioning of if he will return to UNT for his last season of eligibility.

Clearly he is looking ahead and this is only a small part of the larger point of focusing on the moment, being where your feet are, and having ones head in the clouds. 

So far as constant questioning, this isn't the Yankees or the New York media, or Alabama, Arkansas, or UT media for that matter.  No one his hounding him with "constant questioning of whether or not he will return to UNT."  No one.

Read the damn room.  

So twice now, he's talking about the NFL.  This is not where the starting QB's head should be and I would expect a leader of this team, age be damned, to have a better understanding of the position they're in, the platform they are on and the message they're sending.

There's a reason mantras like "We over Me" exist and why coaches talk about fighting for their culture everyday.

It's why Saban talks of Belichick's "Do Your Job" (Period!) as the singular focus and responsibility of everyone on the staff from the head coach to the equipment manager, and the players, from the starters to the practice squad. 

It's the quintessential rat poison and lack of focus talked about by high performing teams and coaches every week that they seek, no fight, to avoid falling into.

To use your word cockiness, I don't see cockiness, I see fantasizing about the future at the expense of focusing on the presence. 

As such, I see someone who is lost and needs to be reeled in and brought back to reality; the fact that this is where our starting quarterback is, age and experience considered, is nothing short of a flat out shame and disappointment.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

9 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

So far as constant questioning, this isn't the Yankees or the New York media, or Alabama, Arkansas, or UT media for that matter.  No one his hounding him with "constant questioning of whether or not he will return to UNT."  No one.

You are crazy. His time in minor league baseball, his age, and the fact that he has a season of eligibility left is in every commentary made about him outside of local media.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Did you see Gunnell get into the game VS TSU?   He was gimping around like he’s dealing with the same kind of “dropfoot” that Jaylon Smith had.  Are we sure Gunnell is even the same player he was at Arizona?

• Upvote 6