If Seth beats <checks notes> Florida Atlantic will you forgive his past sins?

TripleGrad

FAU played Purdue very tough. Unfortunately, they shot themselves in the foot in the 4th quarter. Down 21-20, they threw a touchdown on 2nd and goal only for it to be negated by an illegal chop block outside the tackle box. On 3rd and goal they then threw an interception which was returned about 50 to 60 yards. Purdue would score a touchdown on that drive to go up 28-20.

FAU responded with a touchdown and obviously went for 2. They ran a trick play with a WR jet sweep who then stopped to throw it into the endzone, clearly as designed. Well, he threw it about 5 yards short directly into the arms of a defender who intercepted it.

The biggest drive was sponsored by the UNT offense. On the final offensive drive, FAU started off well getting a big first down on 3rd and 8. On the next set of down from their 37 needing 3 points, they got 6 yards on a 1st down pass. On 2nd and 4, they threw an incomplete deep ball along the left sideline which was unnecessary considering they had more than 1 minute and 3 timeouts to get into field goal range. On 3rd and 4, their QB made his best Aune impersonation. A receiver was wide open to the right about 2 yards from the line-to-gain and the FAU QB threw a horrible pass that required the receiver to make a diving catch. The nearest defender was about 5 yards away and a good pass would have resulted in a 1st down and possibly more. And on 4th and 2 with the game on the line, FAU called a QB dive up the middle which was fumbled and recovered by Purdue. They needed 3 points, were moving the ball well, and fell apart on all fronts when it mattered most.

FAU vs UNT may feature some horrible playcalling and execution. We'll need to win the turnover battle if we want to win but with our QB and lack of playmaking on defense, that's not a battle I foresee us winning.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, UNTexas said:

3-3 wouldn’t be bad. I mean, that is halfway to a bowl. What I don’t think is good is 103 points allowed in the last two games. The offense can’t outscore that. 

Bowls in and of themselves mean NOTHING!! 

ITS CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS. 

So many of you have been dumbed down. Cleverly seduced into accepting mediocrity. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

Bowls in and of themselves mean NOTHING!! 

ITS CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS. 

So many of you have been dumbed down. Cleverly seduced into accepting mediocrity. 

A quality bowl you go into with less than 5 losses and win means something.  It is on the plus side of mediocrity something to build upon if you in you first 3 years or rebuilding team after a senior laden team won a championship and graduated.  Year 7 and you have a career record of 8 games over 0.500, I would keep a coach.  He won’t be near that mark without running the table or just one loss the rest of the season.  But yes by themselves a bowl before New Year Eve mean nothing.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

A quality bowl 

How do you define "quality bowl"?  I think of 3 tiers, the NC game, the other "playoff" bowls, and all the other Whatever.com Bowls are pretty much the same after that.  The scenery is different for each one though.  If I can get there, I'm going.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

A quality bowl you go into with less than 5 losses and win means something.  It is on the plus side of mediocrity something to build upon if you in you first 3 years or rebuilding team after a senior laden team won a championship and graduated.  Year 7 and you have a career record of 8 games over 0.500, I would keep a coach.  He won’t be near that mark without running the table or just one loss the rest of the season.  But yes by themselves a bowl before New Year Eve mean nothing.

chicken nuggets toilet GIF

Now that is a quality bowl! And i am confident it will last 7 years and go consistently more than .500 unless it really IS up against "too much beef"

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

How confident are we that SL is gone after this season? What if he does limp to another 6-6 record and a toilet bowl game? I've kinda lost hope he'll be released midseason.

The cherry on top would be him leading us to 6-6 in 2023 and get our ass beat to former FCS powerhouse and new Sun Belt member James Madison in their first year as being bowl eligible.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1