Dear Wren

El Paso Eagle

16 minutes ago, Moobs said:

Does anyone feel bad for Wren?  I mean, he’s in a tough position. We aren’t a university with lots of big donors. So he has to preserve the relationships with the few we have. And he was handed a head football coach who was a friend of one of those few big donors we have. He has to be very careful how he handles the situation. 

He’s done such a good job with the other sports so I’d like to believe that he can do the same with football. I just don’t envy the position he’s in right now. It can’t be easy. 

I don’t. He just gave himself a massive extension recently making him one of the highest paid ADs in the country. Earn your paycheck

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

What he is responsible for is how things are controlled when we are not successful.

We haven't been successful in Football since we were in Boca Raton playing Joey Freshwater's FAU team for a CUSA conference championship game.  That was 2017 if you're memory is clouded.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

No one says he is not done good things. But that does not give him a pass on this Fiasco in football. No one's asking him to go anywhere so pull that crap off the table

Everybody on this thread was clamoring to sign Wren to an extension. He did the exact same thing that was just done recently with Grant. And everyone here wants to Grant to stay and Coach. It’s Seth’s fault for not living up to the contract. 

If he messes up the next hire it’s on him. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I don’t. He just gave himself a massive extension recently making him one of the highest paid ADs in the country. Earn your paycheck

We have one of the top AD’s in the country. He’s done it by aggressively hiring Grant, Rodney DeLong, new facilities, new conference, receiving the biggest gift in history from Donors, has a good relationship with Donors, etc. 

I mean for God sake I don’t get the Wren chatter. The only mistake he’s made is giving Seth an extension, which everyone on this forum celebrated at the time. 

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

I mean for God sake I don’t get the Wren chatter. The only mistake he’s made is giving Seth an extension, which everyone on this forum celebrated at the time. 

I don't get these sort of responses.  They make it seem like Wren isn't a grown ass man in charge of his own dept.  Let me guess... "RV hired Littrell!  He can't possible fix this situation!"

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I don't get these sort of responses.  They make it seem like Wren isn't a grown ass man in charge of his own dept.  Let me guess... "RV hired Littrell!  He can't possible fix this situation!"

No, you’ve missed the point entirely. There were mentions about getting rid of Wren because he extended Littrell. My point was everyone, I mean EVERYONE, wanted Littrell extended. In hindsight, which is always 20/20, I think things would have been done differently. Wren was aggressive, it failed, but if his only mistake is something that was lauded by fans, donors, alumni, and fans, then I can live with that. If he doesn’t fix it after this year, then I’m with you. He will deserve more than his fair share of criticism.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

Aight well that's done..... Back to "Dear Wren"

.... It's the natural course of events in athletics, when the team on the field or the court doesn't perform, after a certain time and multiple chances, you look to the coaching staff, and then the person in charge of the coaching staff, in this case SL...... Clearly, in a lot of people's minds its getting passed that, beyond SL to the next phase in the cycle, the AD.... let' say WB extends SL at the end of the season, the next phase in that cycle (and it would be swift) would be Smastresk..... it's not going to get that far (knocks pounds on wooden desk) but it's the natural progression of frustration in athletics.... the pro cycle happens faster, that's when you see the Lakers coaching getting fired after ten games with an 6-4 record, those GM's don't want to be brought into that argument..... in football HC's replace Coord's to extend their lives and it may even be warranted but there's a cycle in this stuff and that cycle for some has surpassed SL and the frustration and angst is turned towards WB

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

Also not letting SL go last season. 6-6 should not have been a season saving record. 

What this board needs to understand is WB is locked into letting this season play out, he gave SL to chance to redeem himself so it would be in bad faith to pull the plug before he has chance to. I know people won't be happy to hear that, but it's how it's going to go. Once the season is past that point of no return, the he will act. IMO after we hit loss #5 is when he will pull the plug as even a 7-5 season won't be enough.  At least that's what I hope. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

You are right. We all wanted him to sign him to an extension. The difference is that our livelihoods don’t depend on that decision. Wren’s does.

Agreed, but his entire valuation of whether he is a good AD is not tied to an extension to a Head Coach who at the time had the second highest winning percentage since Hayden Fry. It’ll be interesting to see who he hires next year to take this program from below mediocre/mediocre to good/great. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Yeah extending a coach who just had back-to-back 9 win seasons and was on the door step of a P5 job was dumb in retrospect…

Wren and company were caught totally off guard. They had extended and increased his contract and pay twice and felt secure. They were caught sleeping and panicked. They had no idea as to the true state of the football program, what was actually under the hood. One might even say they were hoodwinked. 
Any astute business man would have been keen to what was happening and stood pat with the last contract both parties agreed to. Take it or leave it. Instead they  panicked, signed an incompetent individual to a new contract putting a financial burden on the program. Littrell is just as guilty. 
They all got rich while us loyal fans had to sit and watch our beloved school’s football program become an embarrassment. 
No! Wren is just as guilty and responsible. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

What would everyone like to see Wern do?  There is no indication that the University is prepared to spend what it takes to bring in a better coaching staff.    

It's been reported that Sony Dykes made about $1,340,000 at SMU just last year. The exact number isn't known but that's the ballpark estimate some media sources have come up with through their "sources." If that's true, our HC salary is more than good enough to be successful at the AAC level. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

17 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Wren and company were caught totally off guard. They had extended and increased his contract and pay twice and felt secure. They were caught sleeping and panicked. They had no idea as to the true state of the football program, what was actually under the hood. One might even say they were hoodwinked. 
Any astute business man would have been keen to what was happening and stood pat with the last contract both parties agreed to. Take it or leave it. Instead they  panicked, signed an incompetent individual to a new contract putting a financial burden on the program. Littrell is just as guilty. 
They all got rich while us loyal fans had to sit and watch our beloved school’s football program become an embarrassment. 
No! Wren is just as guilty and responsible. 

Man, you’re gonna be really pissed when our new coach gets a bigger contract than Seth. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I don’t think he gave himself an extension. He’s not his own boss. He accepted an extension offered. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, texx2818 said:

See, the difference when I say this kind of insult, the difference is you actually work at a gym, John. Class up your title but them towels need cleaning.

Also need some clarification, so I work at a 7-Eleven that delivers? Or am I a pizza delivery guy? So many questions.

Both.  
Funny how you like to go public with you insults. I send you a PM to discuss your issues in private yet you ignore that. Be a man and let’s discuss it. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, texx2818 said:

You are right. We all wanted him to sign him to an extension. The difference is that our livelihoods don’t depend on that decision. Wren’s does.

So you agree that he should have given Seth an extension, but now you want to bad mouth him for doing it???

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1