Dear Wren

El Paso Eagle

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

How does it feel to be responsible for a fanbase that has given up hope? If you consider how fired up we should be heading to a new conference, this is as bad as it has been in 30+ years.

Wren looks beyond incompetent the more these big losses pile up

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTcrazy727 said:

These threads are exhausting. Wren has been great for us and isn’t going anywhere. 

No one says he is not done good things. But that does not give him a pass on this Fiasco in football. No one's asking him to go anywhere so pull that crap off the table

• Upvote 6

Just now, UNTcrazy727 said:

These threads are exhausting. Wren has been great for us and isn’t going anywhere. 

Both things can be correct. He can have done great things for athletics to this point and look like an absolute sucker the more our football team gets blown out with the coach he extended and refuses to fire

• Upvote 2

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

No one says he is not done good things. But that does not give him a pass on this Fiasco in football. No one's asking him to go anywhere so pull that crap off the table

What the hell do you want him to do? Firing a coach in September does nothing but appease irrational fans. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 10

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Both things can be correct. He can have done great things for athletics to this point and look like an absolute sucker the more our football team gets blown out with the coach he extended and refuses to fire

Yeah extending a coach who just had back-to-back 9 win seasons and was on the door step of a P5 job was dumb in retrospect…

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Yeah extending a coach who just had back-to-back 9 win seasons and was on the door step of a P5 job was dumb in retrospect…

Yeah, and got blown out in a conference championship and multiple bowl games. He had won nothing of relevance to that point and still hasn’t. You must be Wren’s son the way you defend him

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

How long will "Wren is the ONLY reason we're in the AAC" + successful Women Soccer, Softball, and MBB programs give him a pass for how awful of a manager of the cornerstone Football program he is?

He's really bad at managing a successful football program y'all. 

For those who were so worried he would be poached by a P5 as an AD, exactly who would look at our last 7 seasons of declining performance in football and be like "yeah, lets get that guy to be our AD!"  Maybe a half rate FCS program... or Texas State?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I felt like this year was going to bad because of all the problems before the first game and score boards during the game.  I would have thought the AD would have checked double checked everything with a big crowd expected..  The AD and fb team seem like they are off.   

GM please turn this around for us in the BB season.

Edited by southsideguy

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

No, but I am getting strong signs that you'd be happy if he wasn't here next go-round.

I appreciate what Wren has done and happy we have him. But again football is still the Bellwether sport. Do you feel we're in a good spot football wise heading into the american?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Wren looks beyond incompetent the more these big losses pile up

I think Wren runs the risk of being labeled a basketball AD since he continues to tolerate failure from our football program. It's insane that he can orchestrate the building of our successful basketball program yet completely drop the ball with football. 

• Upvote 4

When it come down to it Wren really doesn't have much to do with Grant's on the court success or Seth's on the field issues.  What he is responsible for is how things are controlled when we are not successful. Everything is situational.  How he handles situations is how he should be judged. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

How long will "Wren is the ONLY reason we're in the AAC" + successful Women Soccer, Softball, and MBB programs give him a pass for how awful of a manager of the cornerstone Football program he is?

He's really bad at managing a successful football program y'all. 

For those who were so worried he would be poached by a P5 as an AD, exactly who would look at our last 7 seasons of declining performance in football and be like "yeah, lets get that guy to be our AD!"  Maybe a half rate FCS program... or Texas State?

I don't know. But somebody does given all his raises and him being a top 20 paid athletic director in the country. Gaaaaahhhleeeee we are duuuuummmmbbbbbbb. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I appreciate what Wren has done and happy we have him. But again football is still the Bellwether sport. Do you feel we're in a good spot football wise heading into the american?

I feel like "bad as its been in 30 years" is not correct.  That's how I feel.

I have other feelings about 30 million angry, separate threads* flying around here, but that is not a battle I am going to fight.

*also not correct.  but, you know, emotion and hyperbole

Edited by greenminer

1 minute ago, Moobs said:

Does anyone feel bad for Wren?  I mean, he’s in a tough position. We aren’t a university with lots of big donors. So he has to preserve the relationships with the few we have. And he was handed a head football coach who was a friend of one of those few big donors we have. He has to be very careful how he handles the situation. 

He’s done such a good job with the other sports so I’d like to believe that he can do the same with football. I just don’t envy the position he’s in right now. It can’t be easy. 

When he agreed to take his pay raise he accepted the responsibility and the pressure that goes with it

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

I feel like "bad as its been in 30 years" is not correct.  That's how I feel.

I have other feelings about 30 million angry posts* flying around here, but that is not a battle I am going to fight.

*also not correct

I can understand your point but for me if you look over the past 30 years where we were at with facilities and the resources and where we're at now it seems we should be in a much better position

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

I can understand your point but for me if you look over the past 30 years where we were at with facilities and the resources and where we're at now it seems we should be in a much better position

saying "we should be in a better position" is a different conversation than "bad as it's been in 30 years."

• Upvote 1