Jump to content

OT - UCLA's move to the Big10 in question?


Recommended Posts

The University of California Board of Regents will meet soon to make a decision.

Also, the PAC12 commissioner says the move could hurt the players mental health and be bad for the climate.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34646721/in-letter-pac-12-george-kliavkoff-cites-significant-financial-mental-health-concerns-ucla-move-big-ten

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

and be bad for the climate.

Put your thoughts about climate change aside, I kinda thought the same thing too when I heard about this move. Considering these universities are supposed to be at the forefront of studying and finding alternatives to putting more carbon in the atmosphere, they sure seem to disregard how much this move increases their footprint. Come on tennis team, instead of a long bus ride to Phoenix we're loading up for a long flight to Columbus! 

  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

Considering these universities are supposed to be at the forefront of studying and finding alternatives to putting more carbon in the atmosphere, they sure seem to disregard how much this move increases their footprint.

UCLA will throw some money at a non-profit and agree to host a yearly conference or host a study. "Caring" about climate change is just playing into what their community wants them to care about no different than the top celebrities "caring" about climate change while taking private jets and helicopters everywhere. All that really matters to the bosses at the end of the day is their wallets.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The University of California Board of Regents will meet soon to make a decision.

Also, the PAC12 commissioner says the move could hurt the players mental health and be bad for the climate.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34646721/in-letter-pac-12-george-kliavkoff-cites-significant-financial-mental-health-concerns-ucla-move-big-ten

 

This is all smoke from the PAC12 Commish trying to save his own job.

I guarantee UCLA can find a donor that will donate a charter jet for all their Big10 football and basketball travel needs.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, NT80 said:

This is all smoke from the PAC12 Commish trying to save his own job.

I guarantee UCLA can find a donor that will donate a charter jet for all their Big10 football and basketball travel needs.  plant trees to offset the carbon footprint

In an effort to support the Commissioner I fixed it for you

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

A. OF COURSE, the Pac 12 commissioner is going to throw out every reason he can think of to stop UCLA (or USC) from leaving.

B. The University of California Board of Regents is trying to negotiate a way to get Cal-Berkeley into the B1G as a package deal.

Winner!

Especially point B. They will say, "To lessen travel and impact on the environment Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington should come along too. You know, to save the environment. "

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Winner!

Especially point B. They will say, "To lessen travel and impact on the environment Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington should come along too. You know, to save the environment. "

I think the Big10 should just invite all the PAC12 teams and form a Western division.  Then the Mideast division winner (Big10) could face the Western division winner (PAC12) in a conference championship game perhaps somewhere like the Rose Bowl?

  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I think the Big10 should just invite all the PAC12 teams and form a Western division.  Then the Mideast division winner (Big10) could face the Western division winner (PAC12) in a conference championship game perhaps somewhere like the Rose Bowl?

In that case, all 130ish FBS teams join conferences based on geography, then the winners play in regional tournaments and so on to eventually get to a final championship game between the two remaining teams. Call it a "playoff" or something. Wonder if something similar already exists.

  • Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

In that case, all 130ish FBS teams join conferences based on geography, then the winners play in regional tournaments and so on to eventually get to a final championship game between the two remaining teams. Call it a "playoff" or something. Wonder if something similar already exists.

Jennifer Aniston Yes GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, NT80 said:

I think the Big10 should just invite all the PAC12 teams and form a Western division. 

It's pretty clear that they only want to add teams who will increase the value of their conference.  At this point, any more additions from the Pac 12 will only dilute their value, with the likely exceptions of Washington and Oregon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It's pretty clear that they only want to add teams who will increase the value of their conference.  At this point, any more additions from the Pac 12 will only dilute their value, with the likely exceptions of Washington and Oregon.

 

And Stanford. They have been successful in the past, and would academically be welcomed with open arms. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

 

And Stanford. They have been successful in the past, and would academically be welcomed with open arms. 

By "value" I meant monetary value.  Stanford is a little behind Oregon and Washington in that respect.  That said, all 3 of those teams have asked and been denied by the B1G.  At least for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

By "value" I meant monetary value.  Stanford is a little behind Oregon and Washington in that respect.  That said, all 3 of those teams have asked and been denied by the B1G.  At least for now.

I do think Stanford would add $ to their contract, but I think the Big10 wants a home run and that is ND. They want ND and 1 other, and out of those 3 I would think Stanford would be picked over the other 2. Being the #3 school in the country to a conference that cares about academics is a big plus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rumors coming out of the University of North Carolina that the ACC might be looking at a merger with either the Big 12 or the Pac-12. I'm guessing based on these comments the Pac-12 commissioner will walk away from this possible merger for the good of the players health and the environment

  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2022 at 2:22 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

A. OF COURSE, the Pac 12 commissioner is going to throw out every reason he can think of to stop UCLA (or USC) from leaving.

B. The University of California Board of Regents is trying to negotiate a way to get Cal-Berkeley into the B1G as a package deal.

There is no scenario in which Cal will ever be included in the B1G.

With the addition of USC there is really no need for the B1G to include UCLA.

USC would give them the LA market.

UCLA is just sprinkles on top of the sundae.

 

 

The key will be the final make up of the P2.

Will it be 2 conferences of 20 teams or 24 teams.

 

 

Originally USC and UCLA would have brought the B1G to 16 teams.

Then Oregon and Washington would have brought it to 18.

Notre Dame would certainly be the 19th team.

There are just too many options in the ACC to even consider Cal.

 

With the addition of Texas and Oklahoma that would bring the SEC to 16.

 

So there will be 5 spots to fill in the P2.

There will be North Carolina, NC St, Clemson, and FSU that are all but guaranteed to be an addition.

 

That would leave the likes of Duke, Kansas, Baylor, Oklahoma St, Virginia, and Miami to fill a single remaining spot.

 

Think the P2 would have to go to 24 teams each for Cal to be even considered.

80% of the P2 will be in the eastern and central time zones.

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Its hard to imagine a recent PAC12 Commish worse for the conference than Larry Scott was.  The current guy has only been here since mid 2021.

He is getting beat up from the west coast media.  They say he should have anticipated that USC and UCLA were going to be offered by someone else, similar to UT/OU to SEC.  He could have done more with an earlier media rights deal and more distribution to them or secured long term grant in rights to keep the conference whole, like the ACC did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2022 at 10:43 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

In that case, all 130ish FBS teams join conferences based on geography, then the winners play in regional tournaments and so on to eventually get to a final championship game between the two remaining teams. Call it a "playoff" or something. Wonder if something similar already exists.

Man, it would be so bad ass to see college football do a system similar to the relegation/promotion system in English football. 
 

not possible I know, but damn it’s fun!!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, untlynchka1 said:

Man, it would be so bad ass to see college football do a system similar to the relegation/promotion system in English football. 
 

not possible I know, but damn it’s fun!!!

You'd have to split all the TV money within each level equally. The top earnering schools aren't ready for that. Same in pro-sports here. I think it'd be great at all levels but the NY/LA/Chicago based franchises would never take a risk at less TV money if they were to get relegated. Sure does make every game more competitive. Eliminates tanking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.