Students call for transparency after University of North Texas police arrest on video

Some students at the University of North Texas in Denton are calling for transparency after video of a man’s arrest on campus circulated widely on social media Thursday.

The video posted on Twitter amassed more than 200,000 views and thousands of retweets, likes and comments after a student posted it Wednesday afternoon. University police replied to the tweet with a statement saying police were called because the man was causing a disturbance at an event inside the UNT union building. 

“Officers talked to the individual and asked him to leave the event,” the university police department’s statement said. “The individual continued to create a disturbance and was arrested related to this. No force was used related to this arrest.”

read more:  https://amp.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article266193151.html

• Upvote 1

"In the video, which starts outside the building, the student filming asks the officers repeatedly why the man is under arrest. Police do not respond. The man, who is handcuffed, tells the student that he gave officers his student ID and that he is registered, but they were not listening to him."

It is none of this student's business, period.

“UNTPD arrested an innocent Black student in front of the student union,” the flier says in bold, black letters.

The flier says that while “fascists, armed white supremacists and homophobic ‘preachers’ are allowed to come to our ‘open campus,’ a Black man has been arrested for being Black in public.”

What a freakin' stretch. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

I like the way that people sometimes think the police have the duty to stop and explain themselves to onlookers. Have to respect the good that social media can do, but you should also being willing to hold those accountable who spread crap just to try and show how "aware and concerned" they are. 

I am guessing Cricket is "pre-law" and already know more about what is "unlawful" that the police. Of course, she came in to this with not preconceived ideas. Guess she's looking for her 15 minutes.

image.png.2d0acab637b9e728d71d5ca98089e7bf.png

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

I just don’t understand how you’re the victim when you refuse to comply.  If you’re asked to leave, just leave.  Maybe you think it’s unfair, but at least you’re not getting arrested (police wouldn’t have even been called). I’ve had many situations in life that I felt were unfair, but I didn’t do things to make it worse.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3