Wow, Crazy New SI Story about Sonny and SMU

dodgefan

Good story -- interesting how things sometimes go - More Money More Problems as one song said -- one thing that struck me was these two programs have 85 local players -- we have what 5-6 maybe --- and portal 5-6 -- we are totally in a different playing field -- our $$ won't get us there - it has to be coaching and ties with solid HS feeder support and the portal of course but intel we can string some 8-9 game winning seasons and a few bowl wins our portal might not be much to look at I fear...   

• Upvote 3

While the Mustangs played out the 2021 season, their athletic director flew across the country meeting with coaches—a proactive approach, but also one that felt awkward. “I had to say to candidates, ‘I’ve got a head coach, but if I don’t have a head coach in a few weeks, would you be interested?’

WB should follow this strategy.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Professor Lambeau said:

While the Mustangs played out the 2021 season, their athletic director flew across the country meeting with coaches—a proactive approach, but also one that felt awkward. “I had to say to candidates, ‘I’ve got a head coach, but if I don’t have a head coach in a few weeks, would you be interested?’

WB should follow this strategy.

Because he knew Sonny was leaving for TCU. It doesn't look as bad when everyone knows your current coach is about to leave for your main rival. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Because he knew Sonny was leaving for TCU. It doesn't look as bad when everyone knows your current coach is about to leave for your main rival. 

Right. Much different saying "want to be my next coach? I might be firing my current one but he doesn't know yet." Kind of like marrying somebody who left their ex for you. You'll always be insecure about them leaving you for somebody else and hiding it. It's best for everything to be open in breakups which means Wren either fires SL and starts interviewing or he waits until SL is gone.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Right. Much different saying "want to be my next coach? I might be firing my current one but he doesn't know yet." Kind of like marrying somebody who left their ex for you. You'll always be insecure about them leaving you for somebody else and hiding it. It's best for everything to be open in breakups which means Wren either fires SL and starts interviewing or he waits until SL is gone.

I would think if they are not going to extend his contract then everyone knows what is coming down.  I think at that point you could start looking for your next coach.  I am sure SL agent has been trying to get an extension already?  

Edited by southsideguy

Yes, we have oil men out there.  The problem is that there is very little passion from the football program, which does not attract large donors at this point in time.  Wren needs to lay out an exact plan to crawl out of this mess.  I think he will do so.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Pellom said:

This is a great read as well. 

They look at TCU the way we look at SMU. 

SMU has:

0 bowl wins since joining the AAC, and 2 losses to CUSA opponents in those 2 bowl appearances since joining the AAC.

0 conference championship appearances, Temple has 2 and one championship title. 
Very few players who are recruited from SMU, not the portal have led them to success.

Bottom tier attendance since joining the AAC

Middle tier for wins/losses since joining the AAC.

DYKES WAS THERE FOR NOT EVEN 4 FULL YEARS!! Most delusional and ignorant fan base in CFB.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

In ONE year, Dykes led smut to 10 wins, using the portal.

Imagine that.

Only time will tell if he is some sort of portal magician or struck lightening and parlayed that into something bigger and better for himself.  Aside from the 30 or so programs that don't really need to rely on the portal, it seems that if the portal was some soft of instant success potion, we would see 70+ other programs with a similar 1 year turn-around stories. 

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

SMU has:

0 bowl wins since joining the AAC, and 2 losses to CUSA opponents in those 2 bowl appearances since joining the AAC.

Very few players who are recruited from SMU, not the portal have led them to success.

DYKES WAS THERE FOR NOT EVEN 4 FULL YEARS!! Most delusional and ignorant fan base in CFB.

I agree with most of your points, but this is outdated thinking. Who cares if you recruited your best players out of high school. 

I will give SMU credit they not only sold players on coming to play football they convince them of the power of a degree and connections from SMU. North Texas needs to put together a strategy for transfers to make it attractive for not only coming to play sports but also getting your degree or masters from North Texas.

That being said I think Sonny realizes that while the money is there now if at some point relatively soon SMU does not move up how long will these same donors keep putting money. With TCU he is already  with a P5 and can build from there with a lot of the same advantages of a TCU degree. His success at TCU will depend on how well he recruits transfers at his best transfer recruiter, Ra'Shaad Samples( and his father) are now with the LA Rams.

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

SMU has:

You mad bro?

• Haha 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

32 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I will give SMU credit they not only sold players on coming to play football they convince them of the power of a degree and connections from SMU. North Texas needs to put together a strategy for transfers to make it attractive for not only coming to play sports but also getting your degree or masters from North Texas.

That being said I think Sonny realizes that while the money is there now if at some point relatively soon SMU does not move up how long will these same donors keep putting money. With TCU he is already  with a P5 and can build from there with a lot of the same advantages of a TCU degree. His success at TCU will depend on how well he recruits transfers at his best transfer recruiter, Ra'Shaad Samples( and his father) are now with the LA Rams.

We are literally announcing today that we've fully funded a $100m plus expansion and renovation of Ford Stadium.  It took all of five months to fully fund the project.  We've also fully committed to paying every player on our roster as well as a separate grassroots NIL that will specifically target transfers.  This all while undergoing a near $2b capital fundraising campaign for the university as a whole.

The money isn't going anywhere.  If anything Sonny was probably the catalyst to get the athletic department, billionaire donors, and grassroots donors all aligned and rowing the boat in the same direction.

There will be no G5 school (and many P5's) that will be able to match up financially with what is on the horizon at SMU.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

We are literally announcing today that we've fully funded a $100m plus expansion and renovation of Ford Stadium.  It took all of five months to fully fund the project.  We've also fully committed to paying every player on our roster as well as a separate grassroots NIL that will specifically target transfers.  This all while undergoing a near $2b capital fundraising campaign for the university as a whole.

The money isn't going anywhere.  If anything Sonny was probably the catalyst to get the athletic department, billionaire donors, and grassroots donors all aligned and rowing the boat in the same direction.

There will be no G5 school (and many P5's) that will be able to match up financially with what is on the horizon at SMU.

You are 100% right. The NIL rules are perfect for those who have the ability to buy-their-way and then go around telling other to look at us. For years it was made very clear that no one, even those that were co-members of the SWC wanted SMU as a part of their conference. So yes, you might buy your way to better things but that is the only way. You would only be this for your money. Guess you guys are like hookers, but so unwanted you had to pay.

1 hour ago, SMU2006 said:

image.jpeg.17290709b8a90178c3626b6416a37680.jpeg

• Upvote 2