USM paid C-USA 1.75M to exit early

TripleGrad

Interestingly, the agreement specifically required keeping that number secret from UNT.

https://sm2media.com/31214/news/usm-paid-1-75-million-to-exit-c-usa/

The University of Southern Mississippi paid $1.75 million to Conference USA as “Consideration Paid to the Conference for Early Withdrawal” according to an agreement document obtained by the USM Student Media Center today. 

The “Confidential Settlement Agreement and Mutual Release” was signed on March 29 by the presidents of USM, Marshall University and Old Dominion University, the three schools that left C-USA.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 1

19 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

Interestingly, the agreement specifically required keeping that number secret from UNT.

The University of Southern Mississippi paid $1.75 million to Conference USA as “Consideration Paid to the Conference for Early Withdrawal” according to an agreement document obtained by the USM Student Media Center today. 

The “Confidential Settlement Agreement and Mutual Release” was signed on March 29 by the presidents of USM, Marshall University and Old Dominion University, the three schools that left C-USA.

My bet is because we probably paid double 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

If we have paid the fee I would sue them for some money back.  

Lets see the guys who left early get a better deal than the guys who met the obligations?  Makes since to me. 

Has anyone sent this to WB?  Judy has some explaining to do.

Do we get any of the money from them leaving early?

I hope we did not screwed off the field like we did on the field.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

If we have paid the fee I would sue them for some money back.  

Lets see the guys who left early get a better deal than the guys who met the obligations?  Makes since to me. 

Has anyone sent this to WB?  Judy has some explaining to do.

Do we get any of the money from them leaving early?

I hope we did not screwed off the field like we did on the field.

Leaving member forfeit their conference payouts, so no we don't get anything from the 3 that left. That will be split by the remaining teams. 

And no, I don't think UNT is paying anything outside of forfeiting their payouts, since we followed the bylaw and gave CUSA the appropriate amount of time. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

Nice to see student journalists getting this story and shining a light on what happened.  The truth should never be "hidden" or prevented from being known.  The desire (requirement) to keep this agreement secret is a massive red-flag of some potential wrong doing.  

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

That would presume another conference wants them. The way La Tech administration has behaved toward other schools over the last 30ish years, not enough members of any other conference does. 

Their shabby treatment of ULL and La.Monroe came back to bite them.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Otaku is wrong. Clear in the article that the student paper asked for the settlement and CUSA opposed.

CUSA asked that the records be sealed and not disclosed under Mississippi Public Records law. CUSA also asked that it not be disclosed to schools going to AAC I suppose CUSA was afraid it would be used to argue for a lower departure that would let the departing schools get some league revenue.

https://247sports.com/Article/Conference-realignment-Conference-USA-in-battle-to-keep-terms-of-Southern-Miss-settlement-secret-per-report-187199099/

• Upvote 3