Houston Baptist is no more.

golfingomez

Changing from Baptist to Christian to extend their reach is a clever move. Although it's still a limiting tag...I mean why wouldn't they call it Houston Religous University? Or, Harris County Religous University.

My apologies, it's a slow Thursday and 10 hours 'til Thursday Night Football.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Greenrex said:

Changing from Baptist to Christian to extend their reach is a clever move. Although it's still a limiting tag...I mean why wouldn't they call it Houston Religous University? Or, Harris County Religous University.

Christian denotes the religion that guides the school.  Calling it Houston Religious University could mean any religion.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3

33 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

I wanna see a Christian school with a sense of humor and make their mascot a devil or a witch or something. Gimme the Houston Christian Sun Devils 

Like Duke? 

Their football stadium used to have the nickname, Methodist Flats!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

I wanna see a Christian school with a sense of humor and make their mascot a devil or a witch or something. Gimme the Houston Christian Sun Devils 

my favorite one is the oxymoronic school named "liberty" that has a fairly ass backward honor code

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

I didn't know Duke had an affiliation, I thought they were just private like Rice. 

Yes, they are affiliated with the Methodist Church and also host a distinguished divinity school.

At the risk of sounding like a KIA, Wake Forest is very much a Baptist university rather than Presbyterian.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Baptist churches are changing their name all over the place these days too. It's a damaged brand and sales are down.

I'm surprised one of the big megachurches hasn't changed their name to "Six Flags Over Jesus" for a lighter spin on a church name. 

• Eye Roll 1

On 9/22/2022 at 10:15 AM, Greenrex said:

I'm holding out for "Houston I'm Not So Much Religious as I am Spiritual University."

• Haha 1