GoMeanGreen.com Barbershop Podcast #222

Harry

GoMeanGreen.com Barbershop Podcast #220 - GoMeanGreen.com - GoMeanGreen.com

Join @Evan , @Harry  and @TheReal_jayD as they recap a tough loss on the road against UNLV and the upcoming game against future AAC conference mate Memphis.  The boys also discuss the UNT coaching situation and where that stands at this point in the 2022 schedule.

direct audio link:  https://traffic.libsyn.com/gomeangreen/ringr_181646_184046.mono.mp3

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

• Harry featured this topic
  • KingDL1 pinned this topic

I miss Evan's Music. 

I am so depressed about this game, I think we will get shellacked and embarrassed this weekend. I hope Memphis is looking past us so we can make a game of it. 

BTW

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf-game/north-texas-memphis-score-odds-september-24-2022/126667#trends

On this site they are showing 86% on Memphis as of tonight. 

image.png

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1

2 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

I go to nearly every Denton Ryan game…I’ve never seen Seth there.  But I’ve seen Stoops, Gundy, and Sarkesian was there last week.  

That is really, really disheartening to hear but not surprising.  I know a fair amount of people and owners of businesses in Denton and they never see Seth at the mall, restaurants or any local events.  It's like he doesn't even live in the city. 

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

That is really, really disheartening to hear but not surprising.  I know a fair amount of people and owners of businesses in Denton and they never see Seth at the mall, restaurants or any local events.  It's like he doesn't even live in the city. 

He is usually at speaking engagements.

https://www.allamericanspeakers.com/celebritytalentbios/Seth+Littrell/390961

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

I go to nearly every Denton Ryan game…I’ve never seen Seth there.  But I’ve seen Stoops, Gundy, and Sarkesian was there last week.  

Has any UNT coach ever had a good relationship with Denton schools? Surprising that year after year there are so few Denton players that stay home, or even today want to transfer back home.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Disagree with Harry's last point that McCasland's success has something to do with Littrell's job security. Even if basketball had been struggling, Littrell's seat would still be on fire right now. Football stands on it's own in Texas.

Agree. If our expectations for football are based on the success of other sports then we are worse off that imagined. Seth's job security is based on bad contracts and a lack of money to make a move.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Harry did bring up a good point of how good we might be with a team fielded with Denton players. Since we have never been successful at getting locals, what can the next coach do differently?

I don't think NT doesn't get Denton players because of the coaching staff, the players most are referring to are top rated recruits.  NT doesn't get any of those from anywhere. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't think NT doesn't get Denton players because of the coaching staff, the players most are referring to are top rated recruits.  NT doesn't get any of those from anywhere. 

But we do not seem to be on the radar for the next level recruits. Have to think that not every Denton player is a 4* or a 2*. Should be a lot of 3* quality G5 level recruits in our own back yard

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

But we do not seem to be on the radar for the next level recruits. Have to think that not every Denton player is a 4* or a 2*. Should be a lot of 3* quality G5 level recruits in our own back yard

I am not going to defend Littrell and staff' recruiting, but they recruit the best players that they have a chance to get.  Why settle on Denton recruits just because they come from Denton when your best bang for the buck results come from the DFW and Houston areas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

53 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I am not going to defend Littrell and staff' recruiting, but they recruit the best players that they have a chance to get.  Why settle on Denton recruits just because they come from Denton when your best bang for the buck results come from the DFW and Houston areas. 

Denton is DFW area…and Ryan, Argyle, and Guyer are deep contenders in the playoffs every year.  One of the keys to building a winning culture is getting player who hate to lose.  We will never be successful recruiting talent from toxic teams that underachieve.  The ️‘s next to your name only indicate tangible assets…the intangibles matter too and that’s how teams can find winning formulas with less talent.  At the end of the day, UNT has to have a staff that is exceptionally good at converting 3️ Talent into P5 talent…and when the P5 schools pick those kids up, we have to rinse and repeat.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Well in a roundabout way you are defending them with your statements to the contrary.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1