Happy Birthday Abner Haynes

Coach Andy Mac

Happy Birthday, Abner my man!  I hope I last long enough to see your statue completed on Unity Plaza.  You are most definitely deserving.  In fact, I don't believe that anyone else could have brought us together the way that you did.  My thanks for you and for all that made this possible.  God bless you.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

Happy Birthday, Abner my man!  I hope I last long enough to see your statue completed on Unity Plaza.  You are most definitely deserving.  In fact, I don't believe that anyone else could have brought us together the way that you did.  My thanks for you and for all that made this possible.  God bless you.

Jack, this guy Richard Pennington started hype’ing Abner Haynes for the College Football Hall of Fame many years ago.  Have you ever met him?  I have not. 
Denton & UNT should have done this decades ago, but as you know we don’t do many things with warp speed up there.  (Maybe that one reason we are seeing one particular bird go Beep! Beep! past our Eagle)?

👍👍I admire you, Jack, for being a steadfast Mean Green fan during all these years as you near your 9’th decade.  As one of our fellow alums formerly of the Golden Triangle of Beaumont/Orange/Port Arthur once posted: “UNT is just not the easiest football program to follow.”  
As I once heard Ron Shanklin call Abner: “Happy Birthday, Father Time!”

https://youtu.be/dWQNKMyWpJg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

If PlummMeaGreen never does anything else on GOMEANGREEN.com, putting up this perspective on Abner Haynes into the College Football Hall of Fame and the end of the 1962 AFL Championship game and it’s overtime conclusion, he has done enough.  

Abner Haynes to the College Football Hall of Fame

Thanks Jim

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

If PlummMeaGreen never does anything else on GOMEANGREEN.com, putting up this perspective on Abner Haynes into the College Football Hall of Fame and the end of the 1962 AFL Championship game and it’s overtime conclusion, he has done enough.  

Abner Haynes to the College Football Hall of Fame

Thanks Jim

GO MEAN GREEN

Whoops! Did I hit a nerve?  (Was it the Beep! Beep! part)? How many schools have you seen pass ours the last half century, Joe?  I’ll help you count. 

If you are that bored—then read it again, Joe. The video was all Richard Pennington’s & his deal on the HOF!  That far back I probably thought NTSU-Teachers was located in Denison as it was. After all, you Dentonites sorta’ kept it all close knit that far back as well, don’t you think?

Still, all the College FB HOF hype for Abner should have come from your favorite town & its (almost not quite yet) adopted university. I was a middle school student near H-Town back then when you & Bahnsen could have been co-leading the HOF hype parade on behalf of a very deserving Abner Haynes. 
 I’m sure Dr. J.C. Matthews would have opened up all the NTS alumnus coffers of that era to finance such a campaign since he was known for that kind of thing,  right?  (Uh, not).

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Jack, this guy Richard Pennington started hype’ing Abner Haynes for the College Football Hall of Fame many years ago.  Have you ever met him?  I have not. 
Denton & UNT should have done this decades ago, but as you know we don’t do many things with warp speed up there.  (Maybe that one reason we are seeing one particular bird go Beep! Beep! past our Eagle)?

👍👍I admire you, Jack, for being a steadfast Mean Green fan during all these years as you near your 9’th decade.  As one of our fellow alums formerly of the Golden Triangle of Beaumont/Orange/Port Arthur once posted: “UNT is just not the easiest football program to follow.”  
As I once heard Ron Shanklin call Abner: “Happy Birthday, Father Time!”

https://youtu.be/dWQNKMyWpJg

No, Jim, I have never heard of Richard Pennington so I went to my Alumni Directory and it seems that they have never heard of him either.  However, I did find a James G. Plummer Jr. that got a BS (appropriate?) degree in 1976.  My guess is Richard Pennington was some media type that was in the DFW area in the mid 50s-early 60s who may have been a Dallas Texans fan or even worked for the Texans.  One source that I found was a sports journalist who said that Abner should have been in the Pro Football Hall of Fame but that he played in the wrong league for too long so he formed his own American Football League Hall of Fame and put Abner along with twenty or so outstanding AFL players in it.

Thanks for the kudos re my longevity and with the Eagles/Mean Green.  I didn't see all of the games since the 1948 season and now but take out the years 1951-1954 (in the service) and 1964-1967 (lived in West Texas and could only come for Homecoming) and I saw very close to 100%.  I also saw about two dozen away games.  I boycotted the first year that we were back to 1-AA but then I saw all seven years? after that.  Oh, by the way, the only game that I saw in the 1951-1954 era was the opening of Fouts Field.  I happened to be home on leave.

The person from the Golden Triangle who said that the Mean Green were hard to follow could have been me.  I was born in Port Arthur but left before school age.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

10 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

P.S.    I missed commenting on my ending my ninth decade.  I am now more than a year into my            tenth decade.  

Wow that is aweome @GrayEagle.  Really enjoy your postings on here and always read them.  Would love to meet you in person sometime as a game or event.  Thanks for your support of UNT and Go Mean Green to you sir!

• Upvote 1