Memphis football's Ryan Silverfield addresses former QB Grant Gunnell's transfer to North Texas

meangreenfaninno

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Interesting that Gunnell's dad is the one quoted throughout the article.

Yes.  I don't recall seeing a parent quoted before in an article like that about a third year college player.  Usually it's coaches, teammates, or the player themselves quoted.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 9/20/2022 at 4:02 PM, Monkeypox said:

I went through all of his throws in the TSU game, and all of his throws but the pick (which was very very bad in almost every way) were good.

The SMU game there wasn't much to go on. He had an early scrambling throw, believe it was his first, that he just rushed and threw at the feet of the RB like 4 yards away. Pretty awful. Then he took an ugly sack where he probably should've gotten rid of the ball (but everyone was pretty well covered), and had to throw to a blanketed WR on 4th and 9. Next drive we had a play-action on 2nd and 1, he had all the time in the world, and threw to a wide open Gumms down the sideline. Accurate throw, and one I'd expect to be made. Then from the 9 yard line, we run it twice and get nothing, so it's 3rd and goal from the 6 before we throw again. Nobody gets open, and Gunnell tosses it out of the end zone. Goes through all his reads and nobody is even close to open. 4th and goal from the 6, looks like it's a designed play to Ragsdale just past the LOS, which sounds worse than it is since the WR DO successfully clear out the underneath. But Ragsdale is a bit too wide and stumbles as he catches the ball. 

And there were more reports from Spring than just the coach. Local media and fans had said he looked good in Spring Practice. Not raves or calls for him to take the starting job, but just that he looked good.

I'm starting to think it's less about the injury and more about rust from not playing in a long time and our offensive coaching staff/lack of QB coach, though I leave open the possibility that he's re-injured or aggravated the leg in some way.

All of that said, I'm not seeing anything from the game footage that tells me he would be any worse than Aune.

The day after the state championship game, Seth was on the road to Memphis. Enrolled and took part in spring practice. So he already had learned a lot of the offense when Gunnell went down. He played in all but one game, learning more key details of the offense. Seth and Grant battled evenly in their second spring practice together.

When Grant transfered to UNT he arrived at fall camp with little to no knowledge of the offense. A newcomer with no knowledge of offense is going to have to be head and shoulders better in order to beat out a senior returning starter.

Just give Grant time to learn offense.

• Lovely Take 1

One thing that Gunnell’s dad might be is a helicopter dad…and coaches hate those dads. And often times, you’ll see this in college basketball a lot, they friction with these dads will lead to transfers. That Gunnell has transferred twice already after going to Arizona speaks volumes, to me, about his dad, especially since he’s quoted so often. That ain’t common stuff…

• Thanks 1