Memphis football's Ryan Silverfield addresses former QB Grant Gunnell's transfer to North Texas

meangreenfaninno

When Memphis football wrapped spring practice in April, the outcome with the quarterback battle was it would continue into the preseason. Both Seth Henigan and Grant Gunnell played well in the spring game and coach Ryan Silverfield didn’t name a starter.

Gunnell then surprisingly ended the battle by entering the transfer portal a week after practice ended. He committed to North Texasin May and he'll be back in Memphis on Saturday (2:30 p.m., ESPN+) when the Tigers (2-1) host the Mean Green (2-2).

However, Gunnell returns as the backup to senior Austin Aune, who is expected to start. It still opened the door Monday for Silverfield to publicly address the circumstances behind Gunnell's departure for the first time.

read more:  https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/2022/09/19/memphis-football-ryan-silverfield-on-qb-grant-gunnels-transfer-to-north-texas/8039023001/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

That article explained about zero.  I always think it odd when a grown man, a college graduate, needs a parent to speak for him.  

He may have just made the decision to focus on football and outsource media comments to his dad.  Sure it's a bit odd, but in today's world I can understand it.

• Upvote 2

Something doesn’t add up with Gunnell.  He started at Arizona, was neck and neck with an apparently good QB at Memphis, but he can’t start here?  And from the very limited sample I’ve seen, he shouldn’t be starting here.  What happened???

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3

Just now, NT93 said:

Something doesn’t add up with Gunnell.  He started at Arizona, was neck and neck with an apparent good QB at Memphis, but he can’t start here?  And from the very limited sample I’ve seen, he shouldn’t be starting here.  What happened???

He's been "Sethed"

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

Something doesn’t add up with Gunnell.  He started at Arizona, was neck and neck with an apparently good QB at Memphis, but he can’t start here?  And from the very limited sample I’ve seen, he shouldn’t be starting here.  What happened???

He's not the same QB.
https://www.actionnews5.com/2021/09/09/tigers-gunnell-set-surgery/

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

True, but it was by all accounts I’ve read a close battle for the starting job in the spring.  The truth could very well be that is wasn’t really much of a competition.  That would have to be the case, wouldn’t it?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NT93 said:

True, but it was by all accounts I’ve read a close battle for the starting job in the spring.  The truth could very well be that is wasn’t really much of a competition.  That would have to be the case, wouldn’t it?

I think the Memphis coach played it this way to not hinder his ability to transfer.  He either isn't right, hasn't fully healed, or doesn't trust that the tendon won't become injured again.

I want to see Ruder given another chance, for him to come out with some swagger and confidence and then see what he can do.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

That article explained about zero.  I always think it odd when a grown man, a college graduate, needs a parent to speak for him.  

I don't think it's that odd. A lot of athletes don't want to court controversy in the media that might cause them problems with the coach or AD. So they either let dad talk to the media or have no control over him being so blabby.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I want to see Ruder given another chance, for him to come out with some swagger and confidence and then see what he can do.

After watching Gunnell, and knowing Ruder has actually been here for over 6 weeks, unlike last time he played, I would be on board with this if the coaches decided a change needed to be made.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

They won't.

Aune is Littrell's McNulty

This.   Another QB should have played once the game was out of hand.  What was Aune going to learn that he hasn't seen already; plus risk injury needlessly?   This coaching staff never seems to want to develop a backup QB by giving game experience. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

They won't.

Aune is Littrell's McNulty

The Andrew McNulty that was 2-10 as a starter and who threw 10 touchdowns and 15 picks with just 5.8 yards per pass attempt? That Andrew McNulty? Aune has better stats through 4 games and we got crushed in two of them. There is no comparison between the two. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

3 minutes ago, NT80 said:

This.   Another QB should have played once the game was out of hand.  What was Aune going to learn that he hasn't seen already; plus risk injury needlessly?   This coaching staff never seems to want to develop a backup QB by giving game experience. 

You sound like you are describing Mason Fine more than Andrew McNulty.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

The Andrew McNulty that was 2-10 as a starter and who threw 10 touchdowns and 15 picks with just 5.8 yards per pass attempt? That Andrew McNulty? Aune has better stats through 4 games and we got crushed in two of them. There is no comparison between the two. 

I'm not talking about statistically. It's a completely different offense.

Littrell refuses to try anything different, just like McCarney did with McNulty. Aune is better statistically, but they're both medicore QB's that are/were firmly entrenched as a starter despite rarely doing anything to impress.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You sound like you are describing Mason Fine more than Andrew McNulty.

The context was Aune always plays, like McNulty would, regardless of game situation or backups needing experience.    Fine was also overused in games that were over on the scoreboard. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NT93 said:

I went through all of his throws in the TSU game, and all of his throws but the pick (which was very very bad in almost every way) were good.

The SMU game there wasn't much to go on. He had an early scrambling throw, believe it was his first, that he just rushed and threw at the feet of the RB like 4 yards away. Pretty awful. Then he took an ugly sack where he probably should've gotten rid of the ball (but everyone was pretty well covered), and had to throw to a blanketed WR on 4th and 9. Next drive we had a play-action on 2nd and 1, he had all the time in the world, and threw to a wide open Gumms down the sideline. Accurate throw, and one I'd expect to be made. Then from the 9 yard line, we run it twice and get nothing, so it's 3rd and goal from the 6 before we throw again. Nobody gets open, and Gunnell tosses it out of the end zone. Goes through all his reads and nobody is even close to open. 4th and goal from the 6, looks like it's a designed play to Ragsdale just past the LOS, which sounds worse than it is since the WR DO successfully clear out the underneath. But Ragsdale is a bit too wide and stumbles as he catches the ball. 

And there were more reports from Spring than just the coach. Local media and fans had said he looked good in Spring Practice. Not raves or calls for him to take the starting job, but just that he looked good.

I'm starting to think it's less about the injury and more about rust from not playing in a long time and our offensive coaching staff/lack of QB coach, though I leave open the possibility that he's re-injured or aggravated the leg in some way.

All of that said, I'm not seeing anything from the game footage that tells me he would be any worse than Aune.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Some good points mentioned above. The 600 LB Gorilla continues to be that not ONE QB that has transferred in  has shown any sign of improvement. We cannot develop a QB.

I said it before in another thread, but I simply don't believe that NONE of the QBs we have and have had on our roster can consistently complete passes or execute in FBS football better than we have seen, INCLUDING Aune. This is on the coaching staff.

And, if I'm wrong (which DOES happen according to the list my wife keeps), then they've failed in recruiting, which is also on the coaching staff. There are TRUE FRESHMAN out there performing just fine at this level. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Some good points mentioned above. The 600 LB Gorilla continues to be that not ONE QB that has transferred in  has shown any sign of improvement. We cannot develop a QB.

Is this the result of poor assessment before signing them, or not having a true QB coach since GH left?  Other reasons?  As with saw with Fine, a quality QB can make an average head coach and team look good.  

• Upvote 1

If I looked at the games right, DT was 17-17 as a starter and Austin Aune is 8-8.

In 2013, we started 2-3 and then won 5 straight before Blake Borgenshorts’ nUTSAck team got us. Then we beat Tulsa and UNLV from there. Although EXTREMELY unlikely, it could happen.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1