DRC: Depth chart for Memphis -- Daizion Carroll removed

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't know why Zahodri Jackson hasn't leapfrogged Texada yet. 
He's gotta be incredibly frustrated going from starting on a very successful MWC team (an 11-3 team that beat ORSt in their bowl game), to riding pine watching one of the worst secondaries in CFB play in front of you.
Just mind boggling.

Jackson, as noted above, played poorly.  His tackling with his head down led to missed tackles and a touchdown early in the game.  I love Texada, but I wish he was a couple inches taller.  Teams pick on him because of his size.  He covers well, but just can't make up for his physical stature.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Jackson, as noted above, played poorly.  His tackling with his head down led to missed tackles and a touchdown early in the game.  I love Texada, but I wish he was a couple inches taller.  Teams pick on him because of his size.  He covers well, but just can't make up for his physical stature.

My God, that was him? I never went back to see who that was. That attempt was embarrassing. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Green Crazy said:

My God, that was him? I never went back to see who that was. That attempt was embarrassing. 

Did it twice in the game.  Head down and diving at their feet.  Ridiculous.  You would think someone in the Bennett family tree that is on staff could correct this.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Grant Gunnell szn next week. Aune is the QB you play to keep your job, Gunnell/Head/Earl is the QB you play to attempt save your job.

Go to the 2:05:45 mark and just watch him play a little (avert your eyes at 2:12:55!).    Look particularly at his gait.  Something's clearly not right.
He's a non-factor in the zone-read game if he can't run effectively.  And that's kinda important in the Veer & Shoot offense.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Go to the 2:05:45 mark and just watch him play a little (avert your eyes at 2:12:55!).    Look particularly at his gait.  Something's clearly not right.
He's a non-factor in the zone-read game if he can't run effectively.  And that's kinda important in the Veer & Shoot offense.

That’s why I added Head and Earl to that list. Im just pro-anyone but Aune. We’ve seen that’s he’s *capable* but to save his job, Seth is going to need something more than capable. Personally, I’d rather go out swinging than hope Aune can back you into a salvageable season. 

Basically, he needs someone to provide a spark that makes Wren think maybe he found something there. Dragging yourself to a 5-6 win season doesn’t cut it. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

That’s why I added Head and Earl to that list. Im just pro-anyone but Aune. We’ve seen that’s he’s *capable* but to save his job, Seth is going to need something more than capable.

I’m team Aune but if you need a change don’t write off Ruder, the kid has wheels and the strongest arm of the bunch, he just needs a boost of confidence and poise in the pocket and confidence in his reads.

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m team Aune but if you need a change don’t write off Ruder, the kid has wheels and the strongest arm of the bunch, he just needs a boost of confidence and poise in the pocket and confidence in his reads.

The same can be said of Gunnell regarding his confidence. I'd love to see both get significant playing time.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

20 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m completely down to see Ruder again after a full year of practice. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Look particularly at his gait.  Something's clearly not right.

Yeah there's something in the footwork. He's hop-throwing. Arizona tape doesn't look like that, so I would normally assume it's injury-related. However, reports were that he looked good even in spring ball this year at Memphis, and the QB competition between he and Henigan wasn't settled at that time.

So there's a part of me that's concerned that our lack of a proper QB coach is an issue or that we've tried to "fix" something with him mechanically that's led to this. 

Idk, but yeah, his footwork doesn't look right (in the very limited reps we've seen).

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Yeah there's something in the footwork. He's hop-throwing. Arizona tape doesn't look like that, so I would normally assume it's injury-related. However, reports were that he looked good even in spring ball this year at Memphis, and the QB competition between he and Henigan wasn't settled at that time.

So there's a part of me that's concerned that our lack of a proper QB coach is an issue or that we've tried to "fix" something with him mechanically that's led to this. 

Idk, but yeah, his footwork doesn't look right (in the very limited reps we've seen).

I'm starting to think that between Gunnell's limp, and Henigan's amazing Freshman season (including being named to the Freshman All-America team), that this was a ploy Silverfield was using to light a fire under Henigan during the Spring.   We saw Littrell do this with Mason after his Freshman year, using Shanbour's strengths to create "competition".

There's really no way Gunnell was going to leapfrog Henigan.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Re-watching the tape...

First throw was fine, nothing great or bad, and his feet were planted but he just didn't look like he was driving.

Second throw is a play-action and our backup OL gets obliterated. Has a guy in his face, but makes an accurate throw to a WR who's being interfered with (flagged and accepted). Off his back foot, but unable to do anything about that because he has a defender hitting him.

Third throw was a play-action and he either did a GREAT ball-fake or he bobbled the ball a little on the fake (or both). It threw off the timing enough that once again he had a defender in his grill and wasn't able to step into the throw. Not a great pass as it hung up there for a while, but it still got 30 yards in the air off his back foot to Maclin crossing the field and was completed. If he's able to step into it, it's probably 6.

Fourth throw - pick in the end zone. Everything about this is bad. He's not under tremendous duress, the WR is bracketed, he doesn't set his feet. THIS is the jump-throw I was thinking of, and idk why it happened. This is just a bad bad bad rep. But we're at 3/4 of his passes being fine at this point, and his first inaccurate pass (might only give him partial credit for the 2nd throw). 

Now, I feel like I missed one, because he's listed as 2-4 with the pick, but the incomplete 2nd pass shouldn't count as an attempt. After the pick, he never threw the ball again. I was skipping around, so it's possible I missed an attempt, but I don't think so.

The problem is I just don't have much to go on from his time here. He should've come in earlier against TSU, but I think SL still feels the need to get Aune as many game reps as possible.

Edited by Monkeypox
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Re-watching the tape...

First throw was fine, nothing great or bad, and his feet were planted but he just didn't look like he was driving.

Second throw is a play-action and our backup OL gets obliterated. Has a guy in his face, but makes an accurate throw to a WR who's being interfered with (flagged and accepted). Off his back foot, but unable to do anything about that because he has a defender hitting him.

Third throw was a play-action and he either did a GREAT ball-fake or he bobbled the ball a little on the fake (or both). It threw off the timing enough that once again he had a defender in his grill and wasn't able to step into the throw. Not a great pass as it hung up there for a while, but it still got 30 yards in the air off his back foot to Maclin crossing the field and was completed. If he's able to step into it, it's probably 6.

Fourth throw - pick in the end zone. Everything about this is bad. He's not under tremendous duress, the WR is bracketed, he doesn't set his feet. THIS is the jump-throw I was thinking of, and idk why it happened. This is just a bad bad bad rep. But we're at 3/4 of his passes being fine at this point, and his first inaccurate pass (might only give him partial credit for the 2nd throw). 

Now, I feel like I missed one, because he's listed as 2-4 with the pick, but the incomplete 2nd pass shouldn't count as an attempt. After the pick, he never threw the ball again. I was skipping around, so it's possible I missed an attempt, but I don't think so.

The problem is I just don't have much to go on from his time here. He should've come in earlier against TSU, but I think SL still feels the need to get Aune as many game reps as possible.

This is good stuff.
But I'm talking about him just walking around on the field in between plays.   He's almost hobbling around.  That's not a normal walking gait.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is good stuff.
But I'm talking about him just walking around on the field in between plays.   He's almost hobbling around.  That's not a normal walking gait.

In all seriousness, I've seen all his plays here at UNT and nearly every offensive snap from his Arizona days. For whatever reason, there's a few YouTube pages that like to 25+ minutes videos of the Pac 12 football games so it's not just the highlights but the missed throws and sacks as well. I also watched some of his 10 minute long recruitment analysis videos, one I remember was from Rivals. His play here looks like he's lacking confidence. Could he be hurt? Sure? But why have a back-up QB who's hurt? So if your starter gets injured and can't return, you throw out another injured QB? Seems odd. I understand playing your starter even if he's a bit hobbled but I've never seen that with a back-up QB.

I'll say this, Aune might have better arm strength but, at least in what I've seen, Gunnell generally has better ball placement. For example, tight sideline throws is something I've seen Gunnell complete and I don't think I've ever seen Aune make those throws but I may just be forgetting. We've all seen Aune make some wow throws but we've also seen far too many of the high/low/to the side misses. I think you'd get less of those from Gunnell but you may not get the occasional ball dropped in the basket with the receiver completely unaware it's there. Obviously, most college quarterbacks are still going to miss some throws. Shoot, I see NFL quarterbacks throw short 5 yard passes in the dirt. Jumping at Gunnell because he nervously threw his first UNT pass in the dirt is just looking for a reason to dismiss him.

In my opinion, SL just feels safe with Aune and that's fine I guess but it's not doing much for us on the field. I think he gave up on Ruder too quickly. I think we're giving up on Gunnell too quickly as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

In my opinion, SL just feels safe with Aune and that's fine I guess but it's not doing much for us on the field. I think he gave up on Ruder too quickly. I think we're giving up on Gunnell too quickly as well.

I believe Aune will be the QB for this season unless he gets hurt or forgets how to hand off the ball. Next year’s QB battle will be between Gunnell and Ruder. Hopefully this experiment using an offensive line coach as a QB coach will be recognized as a mistake and we get a QB coach that can help them with their mechanics. Proper technique really does matter.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Hookset said:

using an offensive line coach as a QB coach will be recognized as a mistake and we get a QB coach that can help them with their mechanics. Proper technique really does matter.

I don't know that him being an Oline coach is the issue.  I mean the Arkansas coach Pittman is an Oline guy and he's doing a bang up job with them.  I do agree with you that the coaching chemistry here is dismal and we need to change it up.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hookset said:

I believe Aune will be the QB for this season unless he gets hurt or forgets how to hand off the ball. Next year’s QB battle will be between Gunnell and Ruder. Hopefully this experiment using an offensive line coach as a QB coach will be recognized as a mistake and we get a QB coach that can help them with their mechanics. Proper technique really does matter.

Oh man, if it's truly between those two, it likely means we still have Littrell around.   Because I'm willing to bet a new HC & OC will want to bring in a new QB.

9 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

I don't know that him being an Oline coach is the issue.  I mean the Arkansas coach Pittman is an Oline guy and he's doing a bang up job with them.  I do agree with you that the coaching chemistry here is dismal and we need to change it up.

Sam Pittman is the Head Coach.   Absolutely nothing wrong with an OL coach (or RBs, or LBs, or Safeties, etc....) being a HC at all.

Do you know who Arkansas' OC/QBs coach is though?   I'll give you a hint, he grew up a QB in an offensive system that is INCREDIBLY effective.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

A system we seem to make look incredibly ineffective.

Briles runs the veer and shoot

we run the veer and shit

The main difference I can see in the statistics is the quarterback run game.

Aune has run the ball 9 times through 4 games and that includes sacks.

KJ Jefferson had his low rush count of the season this week against Missouri State carrying just 9 times while having 18 and 19 carries in the prior two games.

The defenses are selling out on our running backs because they don’t expect Aune to pull it and run.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

The main difference I can see in the statistics is the quarterback run game.

Aune has run the ball 9 times through 4 games and that includes sacks.

KJ Jefferson had his low rush count of the season this week against Missouri State carrying just 9 times while having 18 and 19 carries in the prior two games.

The defenses are selling out on our running backs because they don’t expect Aune to pull it and run.

Yep. Doesn’t that make you wonder about the status of the backups? Or the QB coaches ability to develop better technique with all of the QB’s? 
If you are afraid to have the starting QB run with the ball because the backups can’t play, that’s a huge problem.

• Upvote 1