If A Change: “The new coach needs to be hired quickly to begin recruiting players on his own team”

PlummMeanGreen

“IF” THERE ‘s GOING TO BE A CHANGE…

A few schools of thought on early or a delayed termination (with quotes) _________________

“If something needs to be done eventually, it must be done immediately.” (One P5 AD ‘s quote).

“We didn’t used to fire coaches until after the season!” barks one athletic director who wished to remain anonymous. “When you’re thinking about firing your coach and you see five guys already having fired their coach, it makes your decision easier. In the old days, people would hang on and on to coaches.”           ________________

“There is a correlation between investment and patience, says one recently retired AD. Of course, sometimes it’s just time for a change.”           __________________

“For us, it was the culmination of a year-and-a-half evaluation,” says Jared Benko, athletic director at Georgia Southern. “We weren’t on the trajectory we needed to be.”    _____________________

Quotes from a 2021 SI article.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/27/college-football-midseason-coach-firings-search?amp_bc=1*1vyd2vw*amp_cid*T0NfTHVHbFE1eDcxVDh3VWRDSmd2WW9DRVlyYlhsMGFBVWlMdE44bVBUU3I2QWpCcjI2SVlUTDFvTXp1VnIwTA..

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I still don’t expect Wren to make a move until after the season but if we’re sitting at homecoming with 1 win (which is a very real possibility), the demand by the fan base may be too great to ignore. 

What happens if we are sitting at homecoming with 2 wins?  

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I didn't expect a firing this early in the season but I also didn't expect us to look THIS bad. 2-2 is where I figured us, maybe 3-1, but it's not about the record. It's about the eye test and the coaches are failing.

Regarding recruiting, I wonder if with all the transfers we see enter the portal, if a good recruiter could retool quickly even without necessarily filling a high school class.

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to If A Change: “The new coach needs to be hired quickly to begin recruiting players on his own team”

7 years on staff & being under .500 would be enough for a change at 99.9% of schools that have the kind of ambition UTSA, App.St., Marshall U., Coastal Carolina, Arkansas St. & South Alabama seem to have. They have all beaten P5 schools in the last 2 or 3 years.  

👀 Look! From all I hear Seth Littrell is truly a stand up guy & I believe if he moves on he will continue coaching at a FBS level & probably as a coordinator but FWIW…UNT has not worked out for many my last 50 years as a devout Mean Green fan. We really need to start being a successful coaching destination point for somebody &…..I believe most of us think it can be.
 I think we have the right President, BOR’s & AD to make that happen.  I honestly don’t think Wren Baker is appreciated like I think he will be sooner than later. 
🎶 Now turn to your hymnals to page…

GMG!

Note:  Did one of you take this photo?  It’s great!  Looks like Oahu’s North Beach with a huge wave fixin’ to roll in with a white cap already forming.  

2275714A-23A3-4326-AFB1-FFDDD31246C0.jpeg.08a906f294e320f7eee95e5970437a9d.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

7 years on staff & being under .500 would be enough for a change at 99.9% of schools that have the kind of ambition UTSA, App.St., Marshall U., Coastal Carolina , Arkansas St. & South Alabama seem to have. They have all beaten P5 schools in the last 2 or 3 years.  

👀 Look! From all I hear Seth Littrell is truly a stand up guy & I believe if he moves on he will continue coaching at a FBS level & probably as a coordinator but FWIW…UNT has not worked out for many my last 50 years as a devout Mean Green fan. We really need to start being a successful coaching destination point for somebody &…..I believe most of us think it can be.
 I think we have the right President, BOR’s & AD to make that happen.  I honestly don’t think Wren Baker is appreciated like I think he will be sooner than later. 
🎶 Now turn to your hymnals to page…

GMG!

Note:  Did one of you take this photo?  It’s great!  Looks like Oahu’s North Beach with a huge wave fixin’ to roll in with a white cap already forming.  

2275714A-23A3-4326-AFB1-FFDDD31246C0.jpeg.08a906f294e320f7eee95e5970437a9d.jpeg

My photo.  I charge $5 each time it is used.😎

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I’d probably still be conducting the Seth train if hadn’t refused to adapt his/Bloesch’s playcalling when we need a single yard. At least 4 times this season now(that i can remember), we absolutely had to gain a yard to sustain a drive or score. Failing to do so would be backbreaking for our chances to win and we’ve run the same damn shotgun play up the gut every time and get stuffed. This stubbornness finally soured me on the guy because this was supposed to be our turnaround year and we just waste it on “should’ve gained that yard” and “they just didn’t execute”s. “It was the right play call”, no the F it wasn’t because every person on the other sideline and on the field knows EXACTLY what is coming. It is pathetic. It would take a lot for me to jump back on the bandwagon at this point.

• Upvote 3