Jeff Traylor fundraising

meangreenfaninno

41 minutes ago, LitMedallion said:

You are NOT wrong. It's discouraging. We are sitting on a silver mine that just need some effort, any effort, in mining. 

Seems like he is indirectly stating the obvious challenge for UTSA and other system type schools underneath a flagship program.  All of the big donors in San Antonio are being encouraged to give all their money to UT Austin.  That seems to be his main message, basically "Please throw us a bone too".

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's easy to ask folks to invest in something that is successful.

It's VERY VERY DIFFICULT to ask folks to invest in something that is festering (Ask Wren Baker).   We still have not broken ground on the incredibly important Athletics Center expansion.  Not enough funds...

We didn't have the funds--or wouldn't spend them--on buying out SL, either. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Seems like he is indirectly stating the obvious challenge for UTSA and other system type schools underneath a flagship program.  All of the big donors in San Antonio are being encouraged to give all their money to UT Austin.  That seems to be his main message, basically "Please throw us a bone too".

I've said many times, "UTSA is fighting an uphill battle against generationaly Aggies and Longhorns that only 3 decades of Football can only begin to solve." There's been a decent shift, but a loong way to go. If NIL doesn't come around we stand a chance, but it's putting us further behind. Good lord, SMU and Tech are completely outclassing us and they both basically suck in the landscape of college football considering their histories. 

People poke fun at us not having a stadium on campus, but it is a god send. It's our one leverage point. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, LitMedallion said:

I've said many times, "UTSA is fighting an uphill battle against generationaly Aggies and Longhorns that only 3 decades of Football can only begin to solve." There's been a decent shift, but a loong way to go. If NIL doesn't come around we stand a chance, but it's putting us further behind. Good lord, SMU and Tech are completely outclassing us and they both basically suck in the landscape of college football considering their histories. 

People poke fun at us not having a stadium on campus, but it is a god send. It's our one leverage point. 

Not sure why people mistakenly take shots at Tech. They have always had good support and Alums that support

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

We didn't have the funds--or wouldn't spend them--on buying out SL, either. 

I truly believe it's the latter of the two.    

There were a ton of people who ate the rat poison that was continuously given during the last 6 weeks of last year's regular season... then ate up all of the overdose that the UTSA game provided.

This, evidenced by one of our biggest donors slapping his name all over a made-up bowl game because he (like about 99% of America) believed we would win.   How could we not?  We're on a 5-game win streak, knocking off a ranked opponent in the process!   The game is about 30 minutes from campus!   Miami, OH sucks!     
...but we didn't.   And of course, to try and explain it away, we hear, "it's Torrey's fault for bailing on the team", "It's Aune's fault because he's not good", and my favorite, "It's the Murphys' fault for their undisciplined play!", etc...   And now, we're stuck watching this lame-duck year.

Hopefully those same donors who ate up last year's poison, recognize the same truck backing in for the late season poison dropoff against garbage C-USA teams, and decide they don't want to take it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There were a ton of people who ate the rat poison that was continuously given during the last 6 weeks of last year's regular season... then ate up all of the overdose that the UTSA game provided.

This, evidenced by one of our biggest donors slapping his name all over a made-up bowl game because he (like about 99% of America) believed we would win.   How could we not?  We're on a 5-game win streak, knocking off a ranked opponent in the process!   The game is about 30 minutes from campus!   Miami, OH sucks!     
...but we didn't.   And of course, to try and explain it away, we hear, "it's Torrey's fault for bailing on the team", "It's Aune's fault because he's not good", and my favorite, "It's the Murphys' fault for their undisciplined play!", etc...   And now, we're stuck watching this lame-duck year.

Hopefully those same donors who ate up last year's poison, recognize the same truck backing in for the late season poison dropoff against garbage C-USA teams, and decide they don't want to take it.

These people aren't exactly running on a real solid track record for getting much bang for their bucks here, but they do give, so I guess we have to be thankful for them. They just have a lot of sway with Wren, just as they did with RV.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I wonder how much influence CUSA had in this for the extra revenue? What is it? 500K that the schools get each year from TV? 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

When he was at Gilmer, he created a program with the affluent citizens to take in the less fortunate players. One of our LBs left my high school to move to Gilmer. A family took him in and bought him whatever he wanted. 

Sounds like he went to the “Chuck Curtis School of TX HS Transferring From 1 School District To Coach Traylor’s School District.” 😳🙂 Oh well… (Whatever It Takes$)?😇

•••Chuck Curtis was an assistant coach at SMU under Hayden Fry.  Also during that era as SMU assistant coaches were Andy Everest (an ex UNT assistant coach & UNT AD) plus ex Houston Oiler Coach Bum Phillips.  What a cast! 

The late Chuck Curtis was also a member of the Parker County Sheriff Possee here in Weatherford. As I recall he wore his cowboy hat on the sidelines when he was head football coach at UT-Arlington. He was turning that program around & then they abruptly dropped football. 

GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Haha 1

Traylor is dynamic and can talk to people like a real person ---- we talk platitudes and phrases that sound good but seem to mean very little -- Selfless, Tough and Disciplined -- sounds great - is that what we were against UNLV or SMU? Man I'm just lost on what the heck we have here -- we have some good guys but we can't get them playing for 4 qtrs it appears -- we might get 2 qtrs? 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Sounds like he went to the “Chuck Curtis School of TX HS Transferring From 1 School District To Coach Traylor’s School District.” 😳🙂

Oh well… (Whatever It Takes$)?😇

Yeah, he's a great recruiter. I'm sure there were other instances. Lol.

• Haha 3