Body Bag Games

NT93

As long as I was a fan, I wanted to do away with the body bag games.  I always said we should play lower level P5's (though they weren't called P5 then), and equal G5's.  Well, I guess "careful what you wish for" is appropriate.  I'd rather be playing body bag games.  We can lose to OU 57-27 (maybe a little worse), but at least we'd collect a nice paycheck in the process.  

This is really a tongue in cheek post, but there's also some truth to it.  Most teams in the history of UNT football would have loved to have played the schedules we've had the past several years.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, I agree with you but I'm being serious. Beating UNLV does little for the program but losing to them sets us back. In turn, playing a bad P5 tough or even getting the occasional win does much more for the fan base. Little to lose, lots to gain. I'd rather replace the TX Southerns and Midwestern States with a P5 for the same reason.

• Upvote 3

I seemed to care more for the program when I could suspend reality and convince myself we could play with the the OU/TX or the world because we WERE playing them consistently. Now I get asked by people if we even play those teams, like "is UNT even FBS?" since we get no coverage at all. 

I'd take 1.5M for a loss and some recognition that we exist. 

But what do I know?  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If you can't beat a team like UNLV even on the road, your program is just not good.

The thesis that playing and losing big to a name school is better for the program may be true.  However, I hope NT is not scheduling based on how bad the loss will look. 

Not about how the loss looks, it's about getting the opportunity to beat a bigger program. Oklahoma State, LSU, Texas A&M, Michigan, Florida State, Nebraska, Washington, Duke, Illinois, Georiga Tech, Virginia Tech, Cal, and of course Arkansas are all programs that have been upset in recent memory. Surely I'm missing others. The players and fans have so much pride when those upsets happen and it gets attention. Beating UNLV, or even a good G5, does little nationally unless you're on a big winning streak. Those P5 upsets get national attention, even if just for a few days. To me, those opportunities matter more than playing an OOC G5 unless it's a local program like SMU.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

WTF is this thread? For years this forum complained about body bag games...

The forum is definitely one collective body with a hive mind. 

I will always complain about playing the Texas Southern, Incarnate Word and HBU's of the world. So an AD that lines up those so we can pad the win column is not even worthy of an argument. We pay good money to see this games. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin

Some on GMG never said no to body bag games. Don’t we have a Covid make-up game with TAMU due? 

UL-Monroe lost to the Crimson Tide last Saturday & their Coach Bowden said: “Alabama just bought us a weight room.” 

Did anyone see App. States end zone facility in their “Hail Mary “ game vs. Troy U? 

GMG!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I will always complain about playing the Texas Southern, Incarnate Word and HBU's of the world. So an AD that lines up those so we can pad the win column is not even worthy of an argument. We pay good money to see this games. 

Absolutely wild you’d rather us get drilled by Texas than host an FCS school. I guess you’re a glutton for punishment.  God forbid Wren Baker puts together a schedule that gives us the best chance at winning.

And UNT games are pretty damn cheap in the CFB market. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

You realize that just about every program including the perennial top 10 play cupcakes in the oc. 

It is about economics ( load the schedule for season tickets with a very low cost home game) and a almost guaranteed win. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

God forbid Wren Baker

Perhaps that is why we can't win - Wren needs to go talk to his big man and figure why we are forbade from victories OOC. As for me, I don't think it has some divine structure, we just suck. If we are going to suck, may as well enjoy a nice road trip in a nice stadium and know our school gets paid some good money. But, lucky for you, I no one will ever ask me my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, GrandGreen said:

You realize that just about every program including the perennial top 10 play cupcakes in the oc. 

You realize that cupcakes for us ARE the in conference games. We just end up with all middle schools on our schedule with ZERO regional or national appeal. I mean, sure, I like UNLV on our schedule, we should win in my dream world. However trading out Texas Southern for a 1.5M check and a weekend trip to Austin and getting to see UNT on Sports Center is just better for me... Just a personal preference. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Uhm... this is the first year we haven't had a P5 "body bag" game on our schedule (not counting the canceled A&M game from 2020).

Florida, Iowa, Arkansas, Cal, Missouri...

With SL, the FCS games are the only ones we have a better than average chance of winning.

I don't really have an issue with our current scheduling. Our problem is we can't beat them enough for people at the end of the year to be like "Yeah, but who have they beaten...?" 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Absolutely wild you’d rather us get drilled by Texas than host an FCS school. I guess you’re a glutton for punishment.  God forbid Wren Baker puts together a schedule that gives us the best chance at winning.

Doesn't have to be Texas but a lower level P5. Thrashing an FCS school will never be as exciting as beating Arkansas or even Indiana several years back. I'm talking about Vanderbilt, Illinois, Duke, Washington State, Virginia Tech, Indiana, Arizona State, Cal, maybe Stanford as of late? Schedule P5 programs that are generally below average.

Question, do you think UTSA gets ranked as early as they did last year if they don't beat Illinois and beat a low-level OOC G5 instead? Do you think Cincinnati gets into the playoffs if you replace either the Indiana or Notre Dame wins with say, a UNLV win?

You're right in that many here wanted to do away with body bag games. The field has changed. It's no longer about bowl games. In 2-3 years, it'll be about being the highest ranked G5 champion. We're going to need wins against low-level P5s to boost that ranking.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Doesn't have to be Texas but a lower level P5. Thrashing an FCS school will never be as exciting as beating Arkansas or even Indiana several years back. I'm talking about Vanderbilt, Illinois, Duke, Washington State, Virginia Tech, Indiana, Arizona State, Cal, maybe Stanford as of late? Schedule P5 programs that are generally below average.

Question, do you think UTSA gets ranked as early as they did last year if they don't beat Illinois and beat a low-level OOC G5 instead? Do you think Cincinnati gets into the playoffs if you replace either the Indiana or Notre Dame wins with say, a UNLV win?

You're right in that many here wanted to do away with body bag games. The field has changed. It's no longer about bowl games. In 2-3 years, it'll be about being the highest ranked G5 champion. We're going to need wins against low-level P5s to boost that ranking.

We have P5s on our upcoming OOC schedule. But instead of body bag games they're home and homes. And regardless of our OOC schedule, now that we're in the AAC, if we go undefeated we'll have a really good chance being the highest ranked G5. 

image.png.59e6513c04b789e7d309bf8b454a561f.png

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

UTSA put up a fight saturday and people were talking about it all over social media. it got way more attention than us hosting an FCS school. 

Oh... and remember the Arkansas game? Or thE Georgia game where we were tied at halftime? 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

UTSA put up a fight saturday and people were talking about it all over social media. it got way more attention than us hosting an FCS school. 

Oh... and remember the Arkansas game? Or thE Georgia game where we were tied at halftime? 

At the end of the day UTSA lost by 21 and was outscored 34-3 after the 9:30 mark in the 2nd quarter. It was the same story when we played Georgia. The game ended up being a blowout. I dunno about you, but 3+ score moral victories aren't fun. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

48 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

We have P5s on our upcoming OOC schedule. But instead of body bag games they're home and homes. And regardless of our OOC schedule, now that we're in the AAC, if we go undefeated we'll have a really good chance being the highest ranked G5. 

image.png.59e6513c04b789e7d309bf8b454a561f.png

These are all great and with the right coach, should be winnable games. And you're right about being undefeated in the AAC giving us a great chance but, going undefeated is very hard. A P5 win always boosts your stock in those conversations.

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

WTF is this thread? For years this forum complained about body bag games and how they made it hard to start the season on the right foot. But now that we finally have an AD that is able to put together OOC schedules that are winnable we want to go back to getting curb stomped? I give up…

agreed. This thread is a little ridiculous to me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I seemed to care more for the program when I could suspend reality and convince myself we could play with the the OU/TX or the world because we WERE playing them consistently. Now I get asked by people if we even play those teams, like "is UNT even FBS?" since we get no coverage at all. 

I'd take 1.5M for a loss and some recognition that we exist. 

But what do I know?  

Man, remember Booger and Jamario tearing them up. That was fun football.

Sad that we have to preface statements with "remember when we had some great players."

6 minutes ago, untphd said:

Man, remember Booger and Jamario tearing them up. That was fun football.

Sad that we have to preface statements with "remember when we had some great players."

2001- OU: 37 UNT:10

2002- Texas: 27 UNT:0

2003- OU: 37 UNT:3

2004- Texas: 65 UNT:0

Out scored 166-10 in 4 games. I think we have different definitions of fun...

• Upvote 2