From a constructive point of view - Is it execution or is it poor game planning/preparation?

zenhuddy

I’m kinda stuck asking myself this question- Dare I say both ? I see sometimes where Aune can just drop the dime and it’s as good as it gets and then you see some “thing” of a pass or the WR just plain drops it. Then you see us chunk off 7-8 yd runs and boom - 4th and 1 and get stuffed like we can’t run Jack? We were really in good shape getting a FG at half knowing we were getting the ball at the start of the 3rd - and proceeded to lay an stinky egg right off the bat - I mean we just walked out of the locker room and did that 💩, how does that even happen? We have probably the best WR core in our conf with Shorter and Bush back (not sure where Bush was yesterday) - then look at our 4 core running backs - who has better guys in CUSA - No one. Our offensive line is not this bad in my opinion. Our defense did take a hit we all see  but is it that bad ? Preparation/Execution hummm.  Have the players lost their confidence they are being placed, in a place to succeed ? I have had my emotional outbursts to fire them all and all of that stuff but we got games to play and we can’t just roll up the sidewalk and hide in the corner. And not like we are going to fix this on this forum but would like some constructive perspective because when you wash off the emotions, what the heck are we really dealing with here ?  One thing I’m certain on we suck at the portal when the team that beat us that went 2-10 last year has portal players from Tenn, UCF, Iowa, Louisville to name a few I heard yesterday. We got 1 legit (didn’t count Grant as he’s not played in 2 yrs) G5 guy and just our luck he out for the year. But back to the question Preparation/Execution, maybe players have given up after the SMU smack down?  One side note on Austin - I think they told him, you stay - you play - I think we had a freak out kinda moment when we brought in 3 qbs and the internal consensus was its ain’t one of these new dudes. Is our football staff stuck in an echo chamber of their own limitations maybe too? Thanks in advance for some concrete thinking 💭 here. 

Play calling has been awful and predictable and Aune has been inconsistent.  To answer your question, yes it’s both.  We have so much potential but I really feel like the soul has been sucked from the program at this point.  Going through the motions. I love these boys and they’re so close to being better but I think we’ve hit the wall. 

• Upvote 2

We are in original and hard headed. Using  5-6 scholarships on QB’s is mind boggling to me. We have had more at one time. We don’t rotate on defense at all. What is we ram the same RB all game? It would not go well. That is exactly what we are doing on defense. Get fresh guys on the field even for just a few plays when drives get long. Too much more to list.

I admit that I'm a little puzzled that Seth didn't take over the play calling with so much at stake.  He was successful at it for six years and it had a bearing on his landing this job.  I realize that it's even more stress but with his salary wouldn't it be worth it?  Our play calling has been especially ineffective in the red zone.