Take solace in knowing the end is near

Pellom

16 hours ago, texx2818 said:

Exactly. Traylor is more or less Todd Dodge with an actual D1 staff.

Dodge probably could have been successful if he had hired a D1 staff. I just think we need a coach who worked his way up the Texas high school ranks. Coach Mac and Seth did not have that background and it showed in their high school recruiting results.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, wardly said:

Dodge probably could have been successful if he had hired a D1 staff. I just think we need a coach who worked his way up the Texas high school ranks. Coach Mac and Seth did not have that background and it showed in their high school recruiting results.

Could be guessing here but didnt Dodge piss off a lot of HS coaches? 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

32 minutes ago, wardly said:

Seth had the top recruiting classes in or around 2019 and 2020.  Kids want to play for a winner and teams that are on the rise and it showed at that time.  Now, I think SL has gotten lazy, we have had less successful seasons and here we are.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Did letting Benford finish the season devastate the basketball program? Hardly. 

We never recovered from Portland State? Care to explain? I remember 2017 and 2018 being our best years since the early 2000s. 

That last Benford season was absolutely brutal to watch. Ruined freshman talent of Ryan Woolridge and AJ Lawson that year

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Seth had the top recruiting classes in or around 2019 and 2020.  Kids want to play for a winner and teams that are on the rise and it showed at that time.  Now, I think SL has gotten lazy, we have had less successful seasons and here we are.

Top recruiting classes according to..........? If he did then he really can't coach .

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That last Benford season was absolutely brutal to watch. Ruined freshman talent of Ryan Woolridge and AJ Lawson that year

I remember going the SFA game and there were so few fans you hear the players, the squeaking of their shoes and the ball bouncing on the court.  I think SFA had more fans.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, wardly said:

With the rise of the transfer portal, I don't think being well connected with Texas HS coaches is as important as it used to be. Of course, you want good relationships with them, but a coach can rebuild a program very quickly with the portal. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Top recruiting classes according to..........? If he did then he really can't coach .

247Sports.  2019 Class was rated 4th in the conference, 2020 was ranked #2 and 2021 was ranked #1.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Recruiting classes below the top 50 are horseshit and everyone knows it.

Thanks for that incredible insight.  When your recruiting classes rank 4, 2, and 1 in your conference, that talent should show up on the field and in your results on the field.  When folks say SL's recruiting was bad, it wasn't based on our conference and it was improving every year.  To not develop that talent falls on his shoulders.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

With the rise of the transfer portal, I don't think being well connected with Texas HS coaches is as important as it used to be. Of course, you want good relationships with them, but a coach can rebuild a program very quickly with the portal. 

Texas Tech and UTSA might disagree with you.