Take solace in knowing the end is near

Pellom

34 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I’ve seen a couple of folks suggest they are afraid (or hopeful) Seth and this team can do just enough to squeak by and he’ll be retained into 2023 (the last year on his deal). 

I don’t want to say anything is impossible, but the chances of this are slim to none. Why? Because you would have to thread the needle to extreme precision for it to happen. 

The fact of the matter is, FBS head coaches don’t work on one year deals. A contract negotiation will happen. This is good news because they can’t kick the can down the road to next year (like they did last season). Littrell will either be extended or he won’t be the HC here any longer. 

Wren is a smart guy - but he can’t be impatient or boisterous like most of us us want him to be. We have to be able to listen to the non-verbal cues:

1) Reporting from major outlets suggest Wren was ready to pull the plug last season. ESPN, SI, and others have all corroborated this story. 

2) Those same institutions have also reported last year’s results were not good enough and more is expected this season as we head into the AAC. So that establishes a 7 win floor, either with more regular season wins or a major bowl win. 

3) The fact the situation has gotten this far without a contract extension tells you all you need to know about what Wren intends to do - he is planning to hire a new coach this off-season. 

The wildcard here is Littrell himself. Does he want to keep the job? I am sure he loses sleep at night over the Kansas State negotiations. So let’s say a miracle happens and we win 7 or more games this season. In that world, I think we could very easily see Littrell use that momentum to find another job. 

blah blah blah, long story short: this is an average CUSA team. 5/6/7 wins ain’t gonna earn an extension. 8 wins or more earns a job elsewhere. 

Sucks that this is a throw away year, but it is. 

Kevin James Goodbye GIF by TV Land

• Upvote 4

Wren seems like a smart guy, although he extended Seth once and didn't fire him after last season, plus let Benford work a 5th year till his contract ended, so I have concerns about his decision-making in those situations.   But he didn't hire Seth, making letting him go easier.   

The easy CUSA schedule will allow some additional wins, and perhaps enough for 6 total and another lame Bowl invite.  We cannot go down that rabbit hole again!!!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Wren seems like a smart guy, although he extended Seth once and didn't fire him after last season, plus let Benford work a 5th year till his contract ended, so I have concerns about his decision-making in those situations.   But he didn't hire Seth, making letting him go easier.   

The easy CUSA schedule will allow some additional wins, and perhaps enough for 6 total and another lame Bowl invite.  We cannot go down that rabbit hole again!!!

I see 4 wins MAX and even then it seems not very likely 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I don’t want to say anything is impossible, but the chances of this are slim to none. Why? Because you would have to thread the needle to extreme precision for it to happen. 

I think you underestimate the amount of bad luck that North Texas can attract.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

I agree, but the damage done by him sticking around is potentially devastating.

We never fully healed from the Portland State loss that occurred by leaving a lame duck head coach for the season…

Basketball obviously is spectacular on the court but the crowds are still suffering from Benford era neglect…

Littrell can not finish this season.

Did letting Benford finish the season devastate the basketball program? Hardly. 

We never recovered from Portland State? Care to explain? I remember 2017 and 2018 being our best years since the early 2000s. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

To be fair, if you were in Wrens shoes in 2018, after back to back 9 win seasons and a CUSA championship appearance you would’ve extended him too.

hindsight is always 20/20

And before that a lot of people complained how cheap we were with coaching salaries. You can’t have it both ways. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

I agree, but the damage done by him sticking around is potentially devastating.

We never fully healed from the Portland State loss that occurred by leaving a lame duck head coach for the season…

Basketball obviously is spectacular on the court but the crowds are still suffering from Benford era neglect…

Littrell can not finish this season.

I'm confused by the Portland State comment. The coach was fired before he even left the locker room that day. He wasn't allowed to coach the rest of the season. Dodge was fired mid-season too. The only time RV let a lame duck head football coach finish the season was Dickey and we saw how well that worked out. WB has done some great things but I just don't know if he's willing to do what is necessary and let Littrell go mid-season. I'm afraid he's going to be here until the bitter end. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

It’s so obvious sweet summer child that you have zero comprehension of the crowds during JJ’s era and at the end of Benford’s era.

Enjoy getting your clock rang by Temple yearly my guy.

And you think firing Benford mid season would have changed that? Bless your heart. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

No, it would’ve shown a commitment to excellence. Damage was already done though. The bless your heart is cute. Gonna go cry to a mod about it?

Okay, then don’t act like it was a massive mistake to let him finish the season. It didn’t matter. We still ended up with a great coach and have been winning ever since. 
The same thing can happen if Baker lets Littrell finish this season. The only difference is history has shown crowds will return a lot faster for a winning football team. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

The problem is North Texas and Wren will never hire the head football coaches that are change agents like Baby Briles and Patterson.

Neither Patterson, Briles,nor Harold are desperate enough to take a G5 job. Both Tech and UTSA hired what I would like to see, which is an experienced college  coach with strong ties to Texas high school football.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, wardly said:

Neither Patterson, Briles,nor Harold are desperate enough to take a G5 job. Both Tech and UTSA hired what I would like to see, which is an experienced college  coach with strong ties to Texas high school football.

Huh?

Traylor’s credentials weren’t even as strong as Littrell’s at the times of their hires.

• Upvote 7