From The Biggest Seth Homer SInce Day 1: It's Time For Change

TheReal_jayD

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I will say they are a good FBS team that nearly beat Texas. I won’t be saying that we experienced the worst FBS loss to a FCS team in the history of college football on homecoming in a game we paid them for.

That 1 loss is whatever vs a whoever. We have gotten our teeth kicked in countless times under SL. And the ass whippins will continue until he is gone. We beat very bad football teams. We compete with very below average football teams. We get the everloving shit beat out of us by the slightest of competentence. Good teams? No point even watching. Just ask for mercy. 

• Upvote 1

Glad to see you’ve come around. I hated Littrell at first because McCarney got fired and my recruiting from UNT pretty much ended but eventually i came around after his first season. But after year 3 and signs of him being a poor decision maker as a HC started showing i was concerned. Completely lost all hope in him after year 5 and have been hoping he’d be fired ever since then. Gotta say im impressed you held out so long haha

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

I am.  I want a new coach.  Don’t revisionist history though.  The man achieved some shit.  If you can’t acknowledge that at the same time as wanting change then I don’t get you. 

He achieved some shitty football. 

Let me look in the Littrell section of the trophy case…yup, empty. At least Mac won a trophy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, texx2818 said:

I spent like $600 for an RV pass and invited people from out of state to watch us get laughed off the field by Marshall. What have you done other than simp?

Are you incapable of having a discussion without criticizing the person you disagree with and making derogatory comments?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Well, I’m of the belief that nobody will ever lose at home to a FCS school by 59 points on their Homecoming, so we’ve got that working for us.

What we are rebuilding from is being a crap program…again. The question that needs to be asked is why is this perpetually the same.? Doesn’t matter the HFC, the AD, the President, the stadium, the conference, or the schedule—absolutely nothing really changes. Coaches get hired, then get fired, never really to be heard from again…maybe a coordinator somewhere, maybe a head coach at a lower level…but losing majorly is still the same…do we hire spares? Do we have nothing to support these guys when they get hired? Does our recruiting perpetually suck because of our reputation? Why can’t you win here when other places with lower budgets and smaller markets/enrollment can and do much more often?  

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Agree to disagree. This roster is talented and deep. The problem is we are young across the board. And well above average in a couple key positions. QB and CB ring a bell. 

The problem with the above statement is every game I see the teams we are playing have very good talent taken for the P5's and we can't seem to fill in needs from the portal like those who are beating us or will beat us this year. So, we have no answer for the needs that are needed to be filled immediately. We have to wait years to see the HS player get to be effective on the field while we lose now.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

What we are rebuilding from is being a crap program…again. The question that needs to be asked is why is this perpetually the same.? Doesn’t matter the HFC, the AD, the President, the stadium, the conference, or the schedule—absolutely nothing really changes. Coaches get hired, then get fired, never really to be heard from again…maybe a coordinator somewhere, maybe a head coach at a lower level…but losing majorly is still the same…do we hire spares? Do we have nothing to support these guys when they get hired? Does our recruiting perpetually suck because of our reputation? Why can’t you win here when other places with lower budgets and smaller markets/enrollment can and do much more often?  

It's a good question.  I've given opinions on this in the past.  It's not a popular opinion, but the one thing that never seems to change is our singular focus on having a roster populated with 95%+ Texas players.  This is the one thing that has been consistent though our entire history.  Maybe we need to rethink this approach.  Yes, Texas is a big state.  Yes, Texas has a ton of football talent. Texas and A&M get the top talent.  A lot of talent gets recruited out of state.  Then you have other P5 programs getting their share.  We're left fighting for the scraps with the rest of the FBS (even FCS) programs that are also recruiting in-state players.  

Maybe we can't convince the player this is the best place for him or they want to go away to school or maybe it's the parent that has a negative perception of UNT and convinces their son to look elsewhere.  We often get stories detailing why a recruit chose UNT and they are great to read, but it's almost more important to understand why a recruit chose *NOT* to come here.  Maybe there's a theme we need to understand.

Getting inside the head of high schooler that has been a "big man on campus" is important in understanding their motivation.  To maintain their legacy among their friends and peers, I suspect the pecking order is pretty much as I mentioned above...Texas and A&M, getting recruited out of state (I'm sure it's a big deal in their minds), other in-state P5s, other in-state FBS and then the rest.  My guess, it's the same in every state.  A Florida kid may perceive being recruited out-of-state to play in Texas (UNT) as more prestigious than staying in-state and we are not battling the perception problem with the recruits or parents.  They can puff up their chests with their friends about going out of state (to Texas of all places) to play football instead of going to local U.  

Anyway, we should be recruiting a lot more out-of-state in other football hotbeds and not continue to put all our eggs in one basket.  That would be something to change.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, keith said:

It's a good question.  I've given opinions on this in the past.  It's not a popular opinion, but the one thing that never seems to change is our singular focus on having a roster populated with 95%+ Texas players.  This is the one thing that has been consistent though our entire history.  Maybe we need to rethink this approach.  Yes, Texas is a big state.  Yes, Texas has a ton of football talent. Texas and A&M get the top talent.  A lot of talent gets recruited out of state.  Then you have other P5 programs getting their share.  We're left fighting for the scraps with the rest of the FBS (even FCS) programs that are also recruiting in-state players.  

Maybe we can't convince the player this is the best place for him or they want to go away to school or maybe it's the parent that has a negative perception of UNT and convinces their son to look elsewhere.  We often get stories detailing why a recruit chose UNT and they are great to read, but it's almost more important to understand why a recruit chose *NOT* to come here.  Maybe there's a theme we need to understand.

Getting inside the head of high schooler that has been a "big man on campus" is important in understanding their motivation.  To maintain their legacy among their friends and peers, I suspect the pecking order is pretty much as I mentioned above...Texas and A&M, getting recruited out of state (I'm sure it's a big deal in their minds), other in-state P5s, other in-state FBS and then the rest.  My guess, it's the same in every state.  A Florida kid may perceive being recruited out-of-state to play in Texas (UNT) as more prestigious than staying in-state and we are not battling the perception problem with the recruits or parents.  They can puff up their chests with their friends about going out of state (to Texas of all places) to play football instead of going to local U.  

Anyway, we should be recruiting a lot more out-of-state in other football hotbeds and not continue to put all our eggs in one basket.  That would be something to change.

Interesting idea...we gotta do something

A few years back, we had the lowest recruiting costs in FBS...I'm assuming that has to do with the budget constraints here, but also the idea that players near here are the focus for our recruiting.

• Upvote 1