Aune Brightside

peanuts104

On 9/18/2022 at 12:00 AM, peanuts104 said:

One of those was a garbage time INT. I'm not defending the rest. If you think any other QB on the roster can get over 60% completion, tell me who and why. I am a vocal Aune detractor, but we didn't lose this game because of him.

That is the point/problem, where is the qb that can complete 60%, 65%, hell 70% of his passes. We need a coach that understands how to recruit both out of high school and the portal just like UNLV did.

• Upvote 1

The pick six was tipped at the line of scrimmage so can't really blame that on Aune. 

Our defensive line getting blown back and inability to tackle in space were the main reasons we lost. Play calling on offense needs to be more creative. Every team we play knows what's coming on 4th and short.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Brett Vito loves him some Derek Thompson who he believes should be in the UNT Hall of Fame.  Yes, we won a bowl game with Derek and his very mediocre stats that season. 

Derek Thompson is already in the HoF:

https://meangreensports.com/honors/north-texas-athletics-hall-of-fame/derek-thompson/227

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Brett Vito loves him some Derek Thompson who he believes should be in the UNT Hall of Fame.  Yes, we won a bowl game with Derek and his very mediocre stats that season. 

Considering we haven't even talked about DT in this thread I don't know how I was supposed to get that.

But yes, the Bert hype for Aune this season is definitely on the nose.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

All of our QBs on roster are highly touted recruits. We need a QB coach.

Correction a Head Coach who can hire good replacement for a departing QB coach and/or coach up the position himself.  None of the QB he has had since Fine has shown any progression from season to season.  Aune might have the talent to be a quality FBS QB the problem is that we probably never see his or any other QB's full potential while Seth is head coach.  So let me be crystal clear; I am 100 times more disappointed in Seth and the leadership who allow him to roll out this stale team in year 7.  He peaked 5 years ago but yet he has a buyout left beyond this season?  Beyond ridiculous.  I wonder how long Mac would have been allowed to flounder if they did not get curb stomped by Portland State?

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

I have calmed down a little from this weekend and really thought about this situation.  Here's my conclusion.  Take it however.

I have been a fan of SL because I think he is a good person and it appears he has our player's interest at heart because they have never seemed to have given up on him.  I also understand the crap show he took over and was willing to give him some time to improve the program, which I think he has done but that has now stagnated.

Problems:

1. Seth doesn't act like he wants to be here any more.  Whether he does or doesn't, his demeanor is a negative for the program.

2.  He doesn't develop our QB's.  Mason Fine was an exception and was SL's meal ticket, but when Fine graduated SL's weakness was exposed.  Fine had the personality to lead, not accept losing, and that rubbed off on the team.  They always had confidence that he would find a way to lead them and he did.  The coaching of Fine was learning the system and minor adjustments.  Every QB that has followed has not looked confident.  Aune does now, but he doesn't instill that belief in his teammates or fans that he will overcome adversity and lead us to a win.

3.  Ignoring the defensive side of the ball.  SL and his staff have been great at finding good RB's, good WR's, good TE's and pretty good lineman.  Heck, he has attracted some highly rated QB's as transfers, but the problem there is what I mentioned above.  He basically ignored the defensive side of the ball until he was forced to address it with the hiring of PB.

4.  SL doesn't appear to know what to do at this point.  He has shown zero ability to overcome the issues, and he appears disconnected from the team on the sidelines.

I really wanted him to succeed, but we need someone to inspire this young men.  I honestly don't think it is a talent issue, but a demeanor issue.  WB needs to bite the bullet and make a move now.