Aune Brightside

peanuts104

9 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

One of those was a garbage time INT. I'm not defending the rest. If you think any other QB on the roster can get over 60% completion, tell me who and why. I am a vocal Aune detractor, but we didn't lose this game because of him.

The garbage time completions came when UNLV had their 3&4 stringers playing on defense. 
Other programs are getting transfer players from FBS schools. We are getting JuCo’s,  FCS players, and Division 2’s. 
Just a big difference in talent.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Despite the late pick 6, he hit over 58% of his passes, which, if you don't know, is a big deal. There are a lot of reasons we lost and I give Aune **** all the time, but he played...well enough. The issue wasn't execution necessarily. He made mistakes, but he's not why we lost this game. The clear problem was play calling, risk management, and the defense that can't stop a cardboard box.

Is this a secret GMG account for Brett Vito, who probably thinks Aune deserves to be in the UNT HoF for stats like this? 

• Haha 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

One of those was a garbage time INT. I'm not defending the rest. If you think any other QB on the roster can get over 60% completion, tell me who and why. I am a vocal Aune detractor, but we didn't lose this game because of him.

We've got a QB who completed about 67% of his 250ish pass attempts at the pac 12 level. I get he's looked rusty, likely due to lack of playing time like most backups would look but we've got somebody who's done it before. All athletes need rythm. You don't get that on the bench. Aune's gone after the season. Seeing what else we have at the position would help us next year but then again, SL knows he won't be here so why plan for next year. Not his problem.

That said, Aune played a good game. Certainly not at fault for yesterday. He's not a threat which is the big problem. Easy to stack the box on 4th and 1 when you know the QB isn't trusted to make a play.

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We've got a QB who completed about 67% of his 250ish pass attempts at the pac 12 level. I get he's looked rusty, likely due to lack of playing time like most backups would look but we've got somebody who's done it before. All athletes need rythm. You don't get that on the bench. Aune's gone after the season. Seeing what else we have at the position would help us next year but then again, SL knows he won't be here so why plan for next year. Not his problem.

That said, Aune played a good game. Certainly not at fault for yesterday. He's not a threat which is the big problem. Easy to stack the box on 4th and 1 when you know the QB isn't trusted to make a play.

This brings up another point about Seth.  When you're losing by say 4 touchdowns shouldn't it be time to get some backup players (QB) in for some experience?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s bizarre to me that as good an athlete as Aune is that we don’t have a more creative scheme that utilizes his ability to be a threat in the run game. I’m fine with us being a run focused team, but how bout some 2 back sets with Adaway and Adeyi on the field with Aune?

Also it baffles me to have two athletes the calibre of Roberts and Gumms at the TE/H back position and we don’t look to exploit that regularly. Should be an integral part of the offense. Not a pleasant surprise when we find them once or twice a game for something big - then never go back to them.

Our scheme is just so BORING and predictable. The book is and has been out on it for a long time. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NT80 said:

This brings up another point about Seth.  When you're losing by say 4 touchdowns shouldn't it be time to get some backup players (QB) in for some experience?

Absolutely. Frankly, look at Mason Fine. He got playing time because we were getting blown out and it was clear that while Alec Morris could drive the bus, he was gone after the year and wouldn't do enough in his lone season here to bring us success. SL rolled the dice on Mason knowing he needed to prep his future starter. Fine was a gamer but statistically pedestrian his freshman year but it wasn't about his first year it was about the next 3. SL clearly isn't prepping for the future; he's playing for now. Good for him, terrible for us.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

It’s bizarre to me that as good an athlete as Aune is that we don’t have a more creative scheme that utilizes his ability to be a threat in the run game. I’m fine with us being a run focused team, but how bout some 2 back sets with Adaway and Adeyi on the field with Aune?

Also it baffles me to have two athletes the calibre of Roberts and Gumms at the TE/H back position and we don’t look to exploit that regularly. Should be an integral part of the offense. Not a pleasant surprise when we find them once or twice a game for something big - then never go back to them.

Our scheme is just so BORING and predictable. The book is and has been out on it for a long time. 

We have truly incredible athletes all over the offense. We don't have a horrible QB but he's just not consistent enough of a threat to worry the defense. No need to have a LB spy him for scrambles or drop extra DBs in coverage or anything else. He's going to take what the play gives him and that's it. If our skill players make a great play, good on them. That's it. The QB ain't doing it.

• Upvote 2

I don’t look at the stats when I criticize Aune. I’m looking at the throws behind receivers that unnecessarily make catches more difficult. I’m looking at the throws in the dirt when a guy has broken free and could be a big play. I’m looking at the throws into double/triple coverage for no apparent reason.  

These things add up to your defense being on the field more than they should be. A TD for us turns into a 3 and out and the defense back on the field. It’s the reason why we’ll sometimes have drives with nothing but runs. At a certain point, Seth and co just need a sustained drive to get the defense a breather. Just look at the time of possession. It’s alarming. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Celebrating 55.1+ passing % is a true microcosm of our entire athletic department. 

Exactly we have enough data on this QB and this head coach.  Seth should have been fired at the end of last season.  Minimally Wren should have told Seth if you start Aune after bringing in Ruder and Gunnell your leash will be very short if Aune doesn’t perform well.  I don’t think Seth was told that hence he will be on the sidelines in Memphis.  And to me that it is ridiculous you expect fans to pay to see stale garbage.  No hope or drama here anymore unless 5 wins this season is the standard you had in mind before game 1.  

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Despite the late pick 6, he hit over 58% of his passes, which, if you don't know, is a big deal. There are a lot of reasons we lost and I give Aune **** all the time, but he played...well enough. The issue wasn't execution necessarily. He made mistakes, but he's not why we lost this game. The clear problem was play calling, risk management, and the defense that can't stop a cardboard box.

as my football coach used to say, anyone can start for a losing team, it makes no difference if you are going to lose anyway.   Aune isn’t the only reason we are losing, but he is contributing.  If we are going to lose, we might as well see what else we have in the other QBs.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It's not his problem. So, he won't. Coaches are notrious, when leaving in poor terms, for doing what they can NOT to benefit the program. Don't expect anything different. 

Which again, that's why cutting bait is important. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

He threw 2 INT in a blowout loss and completed less than 60% of his throws.  They weren’t playing a P5 team in a packed stadium.  They were playing UNLV a program that hadn’t been to a bowl since 2014.  A UNLV with a fanbase starving for 6 win season.  

Come on man, just piling on at this point. The man didn’t throw a single interception until 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter with us down 4 scores. He was trying to force it on low percentage plays because we were so far behind. Prior to that first interception drive he was 16 of 25 for 299 yards with 2 touchdowns and zero interceptions. A 64% completion rate and 12 yards per attempt. Your hatred of Aune has blinders on you. The real problem this game was Bloesch and Bennett.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Come on man, just piling on at this point. The man didn’t throw a single interception until 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter with us down 4 scores. He was trying to force it on low percentage plays because we were so far behind. Prior to that first interception drive he was 16 of 25 for 299 yards with 2 touchdowns and zero interceptions. A 64% completion rate and 12 yards per attempt. Your hatred of Aune has blinders on you. The real problem this game was Bloesch and Bennett.

😂 Did I blame him for the loss?  I missed that part.   UNLV is not great and some people want to celebrate a pedestrian/adequate performance.   I have no “hatred” of Aune he seems like a great character person and hard worker.  Unfortunately those attributes haven’t made him a quality starting FBS QB.   The only QB he was better than this year that we’ve face was the UTEP QB.  The numbers are the numbers.  Big picture ABSOLUTELY the defense was the issue.  We could see that in the game against TSU.   TSU just didn’t have enough FBS caliber athletes to make the most out of all their mistakes.  Aune is right on pace for 55% (54.2 % currently) completions for the year with world beaters like UTEP, TSU, and UNLV in the rearview mirror.  No he didn't lose this game.   However if you have any faith in him to be a difference maker against a good team ,  I am not the one with blinders on. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

100%.  We don't need the QB (Aune or anyone else) to win games for us single-handedly.  He doesn't play defense or call plays as far as I can tell.  We were in this game until the 4th quarter meltdown.  We were not able to punch it in from the 2 at the end of the half either, but at least we came away with points.  Then in the 3rd we got within 3 after a pretty nifty pass to Gumms only to give it right back on the next UNLV possession.  However, the play (decision), in my mind, that changed the course of the game was when we were down by 10 in the 3rd at the UNLV 18 with a chance to make it a one-score game once again by kicking a field goal, but instead got stuffed on 4th and 1 and turned the ball over on downs.  That was a huge momentum swing that we never recovered from.  That was a major blunder IMHO.  At that point, it looked like it was going to be punch/counter-punch in the second half until the poor decision not to take the points (we have a pretty good kicker).  

We give up a back-breaking drive to go down by 17.  We (try to) answer, but again are unable to punch the ball in from the UNLV 1 and once again give the ball back on downs deep in UNLV territory.  UNLV goes 99 in 6 plays and the rout is on.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Please explain the joke, because I'm a little slow I guess. Not only have I shit on Aune, I also regularly like to poke fun at Bert too.

Brett Vito loves him some Derek Thompson who he believes should be in the UNT Hall of Fame.  Yes, we won a bowl game with Derek and his very mediocre stats that season.