What Lies Ahead

untjim1995

Now that 7 wins looks unattainable, the very best thing we can have happen is to lose the next 4 games, to then get SL gone. It won’t be done before then, even if it should’ve been done last year, but it’s coming. The bigger questions ahead:

Who can we get? What will it pay and for how long? And as much I hate it, the portal will be full of folks leaving, as expected, so how to we build back up to compete in the AAC?

We have needed to move on for quite a while, and aside from Lovelace, everyone else seems to know this. I’m ready to see this thing just get a fresh face on the sidelines as the HFC. It’s needed and it’s time.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

This is an important and underrated factor, in my opinion.

A number of people are saying that Wren wouldn't end things with Littrell before the end of the season because "there's nothing to gain by ending it with him before then."

However, if Wren is going to end things with Littrell, I think it's important to do it sooner rather than later. In the world of the portal, we're going to have a higher percentage of players transferring out due to the coaching turnover and the new coach will need as much time as possible to assess roster gaps and assemble AAC level talent that fits their system. If we don't give the new coach sufficient time to get a staff in place and thoroughly recruit, our debut in the AAC will be rough.

IMHO, it will come as soon as we're eliminated from a conference championship or mathematically eliminated getting to a bowl. Whichever comes first. The sooner, the better.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

However, if Wren is going to end things with Littrell, I think it's important to do it sooner rather than later. In the world of the portal, we're going to have a higher percentage of players transferring out due to the coaching turnover and the new coach will need as much time as possible to assess roster gaps and assemble AAC level talent that fits their system. If we don't give the new coach sufficient time to get a staff in place and thoroughly recruit, our debut in the AAC will be rough.

This is EXACTLY why Wren should be on the hot seat.  He gave Seth that second extension knowing the finances here are not strong when Football is subpar.   We cannot afford to overpay for mediocrity.  And giving a raise and extension to a coach that hasn’t won anything significant is doing just that.   We couldn’t afford a “punt” year going into the AAC.  In my opinion they chose to ruin 2 seasons by betting on dead horse Seth Littrell for 2022.  Now any coach short of an guy that is already on his way to legendary status in going to struggle in 2023.  That royally pisses me off! 🤬

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Well I think he knows this last year as HC for a long time.  That would weight on you.   We should have cut him lose last year.   

Wren should let Seth go last year and is paid well to make that decision. Keeping Seth was inexcusable especially with us joining  the American next season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

I don’t agree that he should have been fired after last season but at this point we need to see Wren make the tough call and pull the trigger. I firmly believe the Lovelaces know this is the right move and I imagine they can accept that.  If they love Seth that much they’ll probably provide his buyout.  Wren has been great but he has now stepped into the most important few weeks of his time. We will see how he handles it.  He still has my trust. 

• Upvote 2