When will we get the announcement that SL won't be retained?

southsideguy

17 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I'm thinking of an interim (Bennett?) who takes the job with the understanding that they are just finishing up the season in that role and they have a directive from the AD to get guys experience and find the future QB.

I have never heard of an interim coach tanking a season playing for “next year” except in the NFL where draft pick seeding is in play.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I have never heard of an interim coach tanking a season playing for “next year” except in the NFL where draft pick seeding is in play.

I’m not talking wholesale lineup changes.  As has been stated often, we’re a young team, so the only real positions I think we need see what we’ve got on the roster are QB and Safety.  Maybe rotate in a few more DL here and there.  Nothing that I would consider tanking.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Fun times... not really although I did feel relief when he was let go. I'll feel the same when this mess is over with. Nowhere to go but up!

I remember thinking this when we hired Matt Simon...and Darrell Dickey...and Todd Dodge...and Dan McCarney...and Seth Littrell...130 wins, 1 tie, and 209 losses later, .382 winning percentage over 28+ seasons, I'm fairly certain that I know what to expect.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1

On 9/18/2022 at 5:14 AM, NorthTexan95 said:

I'm believe Wren will wait until after the season.  As Seth showed last year, he can keep the kids engaged even with a long losing streak.  I just hope an easy CUSA schedule doesn't magically give this team a .500 bowl berth and save Seth's job. 

I don't think it's enough this time. 3 more losses I think will seal his fate. 

59 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I’m not talking wholesale lineup changes.  As has been stated often, we’re a young team, so the only real positions I think we need see what we’ve got on the roster are QB and Safety.  Maybe rotate in a few more DL here and there.  Nothing that I would consider tanking.

So you just want an interim to bench Aune, makes sense because no interim is going to bench Faulkner unless you fire Bennett along with Littrell.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

25 minutes ago, Rudy said:

You deserve a tempaban for that ck tease.

LOL - I was thinking about making a thread but thought I would just slide it in where appropriate... pranked a few friends with it though, one apparently made a scene at work celebrating....

I'm relatively checked out until the announcement is made, then the rumor mill on coaches will take off and it'll be exciting to envision the future of the program and taking our potential to new heights! 🙏

Episode 17 GIF by The Simpsons

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

A big question for the next coach is do we start him at what SL makes to get a better hire or do we start low and make them work their way up? Also it would allow us to let them go sooner if necessary. 

Depends on who's out there. If a guy like Tom Herman or Gary Patterson want to come here, you're going to have to pay more, maybe just above $2 mil per year, but it'd likely be worth it since they've already been successful head coaches. For comparison, Gus Malzhan made $7 mil per year at Auburn and now makes $2.3 per year at UCF. Herman made $1.35 at UH before they bumped it to $3 to retain him. He then made $5.5 mil at Texas. Hugh Freeze makes over $4 million per year at Liberty, I believe just below what he made at Ole Miss.

If you want a first time HC, you can probably get away with paying less although that depends on what their current gig pays. Some of these P5 coordinators are making close to SL money already. The AAC has salary ranges in the $1.3 to $4 mil per year as it stands. UTSA's Traylor is at $2.8. UNT might have to be open to creeping into that $2 mil range if they want to pretend to be serious about football.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

So you just want an interim to bench Aune, makes sense because no interim is going to bench Faulkner unless you fire Bennett along with Littrell.

I want another QB to get some playing time at the very least.  If SL finishes out the year, we'll see Aune take 99% of the snaps, maybe 100%.

My original post was made under the assumption that the season is done, which is obviously not true, it just feels like it.  My unpopular opinion is that Aune gives us our best chance to win.  That being the case, he should remail the starter until we are officially eliminated from winning the conference title.  At that point, we need to be looking toward the future.  If we somehow miraculously win the conference, Gunnell (and others) should at least get some snaps in blowouts.  We all know that won't happen with SL.  

• Upvote 4

We do not need to pay $2 million to have a successful coach, for crying out loud, the fans wanting to throw out millions of a very finite amount for a coach is just desperation. App State, Marshall, La Tech, ULL, Troy did not spend millions to win games, but somehow we have to spend millions when the fanbase does not donate squat for the # of alumni. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

A big question for the next coach is do we start him at what SL makes to get a better hire or do we start low and make them work their way up? Also it would allow us to let them go sooner if necessary. 

Depends on who it is. But I expect whoever we hire will at least get the same contact as Littrell. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I still think Skip Holtz would be a good pick up.   He did so much at LATECH with so little.  He has recruited at our level with not much money was pretty successful there.   

I have wonder why some coaches move from a team that they had good success with and flop at their new jobs.   

• Upvote 5

On 9/19/2022 at 10:21 PM, southsideguy said:

I still think Skip Holtz would be a good pick up.   He did so much at LATECH with so little.  He has recruited at our level with not much money was pretty successful there.   

I have wonder why some coaches move from a team that they had good success with and flop at their new jobs.   

Agree. Would be a good proven coach with a winning record, and one would really have to wonder how much more he would do with the additional resources. Plus, you do not have to pay him more than 1 million I think, and can invest part into assistant pool and get the donors to put the rest into NIL.

It says something that LaTech was willing to let go of a coach with his record, while NT wasn't able to get rid of SL after last season, when LTs financial capacities are a good deal below NTs. That said, not sure it really was a firing (wasn't portraid as such either) and I do believe Holtz was also tired of LaTech skimping and staying behind the competition and was willing to move on himself.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

Agree. Would be a good proven coach with a winning record, and one would really have to wonder how much more he would do with the additional resources. Plus, you do not have to pay him more than 1 million I think, and can invest part into assistant pool and get the donors to put the rest into NIL.

It says something that LaTech was willing to let go of a coach with his record, while NT wasn't able to get rid of SL after last season, when LTs financial capacities are a good deal below NTs. That said, not sure it really was a firing (wasn't portraid as such either) and I do believe Holtz was also tired of LaTech skimping and staying behind the competition and was willing to move on himself.

Skip Holtz would be a nice hire, no doubt. He's been a solid coach for a long time.

The thing with La Tech is that their football program is their primary window to the school--they have used it to promote their school for 50 years. It's what they depend on for getting students, getting donations, and getting fans. They skimp on a lot, but their talent level in LA is huge, too.   They don't accept losing for long in Ruston, similar to the way that Marshall and USM run their football programs or how the basketball program is run at WKU. Losing is not an option--USM fired a football coach after one year of a 5-year deal because he went 0-12 in 2013. It's obviously not how we look at sports and winning--we kept Todd Dodge, Tony Benford, and now, Seth Littrell, for an extra year to save money. 

We either don't have the money or we won't spend the money. Either way, winning ain't important here...and if you do accomplish anything of a decent amount, you're getting a big extension and not getting fired until you are affordable to let go.

• Upvote 5
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/19/2022 at 11:19 AM, untjim1995 said:

I remember thinking this when we hired Matt Simon...and Darrell Dickey...and Todd Dodge...and Dan McCarney...and Seth Littrell...130 wins, 1 tie, and 209 losses later, .382 winning percentage over 28+ seasons, I'm fairly certain that I know what to expect.

That’s a very depressing stat lol

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/19/2022 at 3:21 PM, southsideguy said:

I wouldn't be mad at this. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2022 at 3:23 PM, UNTcrazy727 said:

Depends on who it is. But I expect whoever we hire will at least get the same contact as Littrell. 

I expect the same. Paying the next coach less would look like UNT is lowering its football expectations. It also would be perceived as a knock on the new coach.

• Upvote 1