When will we get the announcement that SL won't be retained?

southsideguy

4 hours ago, Venson said:

You know what? As much as I think WB should fire SL, he is afraid because Lovelace likes him. Many of us would be hard pressed to fire someone if we think we may lose one of our biggest donors. Maybe we need to start blowing up Don Lovelace's and the other big money donors emails and websites about how pathetic this crap is to put pressure on them. At least it may help WB do what needs to be done. I don't know. I am just spitballing because I am just as angry as the rest of you about this bad, bad product. We are wasting talented players on bad coaches.

How do you know what the big donors love?  My guess is winning.  

Putting pressure on our big donors has to be one of the stupidest plans ever. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I don't know how they can keep him around any longer,  watch the attendance at Apogee may be a ghost town by the end of the season.

Rice for senior day is a 1:00 kickoff

At this rate, maybe 2-3K in seats at MOST

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I'd say at the end of the season.  There's not a lot to gain by doing it now.

I disagree with that. Recruiting in this day and age and with the current windows cannot have a void at next HC at the end of the season, as that is really a crucial time. Good recruits don't sign when they don't know who the HC is next season. To give the next HC a proper shot at a running start, earlier really would make a difference.

However, -sadly- WB NEVER fires coaches mid-season. It even makes a tiny bit of sense, seing as he usually hires sitting HCs, and generally stays away from assistants moving up to HC. So shortly after the last regular season game will be when the announcement will be made (as in on the Monday nov 28).

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

How do you know what the big donors love?  My guess is winning.  

Putting pressure on our big donors has to be one of the stupidest plans ever. 

I’m not disagreeing with you, but they are family friends with Littrell and his family. Not like someone they just like since he got here. They are a big part of why he ended up here to begin with. Not crazy at all to think they pull their donations if he gets fired, or at least largely rein in their donations.

Now should that be the reason we don’t move on from Littrell? Absolutely not.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Not at all (to your first question). TCU hired Dykes away from SMU at the end of November. Texas Tech hired Joey McGuire away in early November and he left Baylor mid season to start preparations for the next season as Tech’s head coach. The prevailing rumors around the coaching industry were that McGuire was our top target, but he was off the market before we had played game #9.

That’s the timeline we’d be looking at. It just gives you more time to interview candidates. These guys don’t wait until the season is over to interview.

And I’m not saying fire Littrell today. I’m just saying I think waiting until after a potential bowl game or after game 12 against Rice might put you at a disadvantage if you’re waiting until that late to start interviews.

Dykes was hired November 30th, 3 days after SMU's last regular season game. Mcguire was hired early November but remained with Baylor until the end of the season. While I guess yeah, it simply gives you more time to interview, it's not giving them any more time to recruit if you announced somebody in October vs November 27th, the day after Rice.

To your point though, at least getting a head start on the new staff would be nice. We have no idea exactly what other jobs will come available between now and November 27 so getting a good HC pegged before the carousel starts should be an advantage. Alright I'm on board. Fire SL now and start interviewing folks. If he's not staying long-term, no reason to keep him any longer.

• Upvote 2

On 9/18/2022 at 12:03 AM, BillySee58 said:

Not at all (to your first question). TCU hired Dykes away from SMU at the end of November. Texas Tech hired Joey McGuire away in early November and he left Baylor mid season to start preparations for the next season as Tech’s head coach. The prevailing rumors around the coaching industry were that McGuire was our top target, but he was off the market before we had played game #9.

That’s the timeline we’d be looking at. It just gives you more time to interview candidates. These guys don’t wait until the season is over to interview.

And I’m not saying fire Littrell today. I’m just saying I think waiting until after a potential bowl game or after game 12 against Rice might put you at a disadvantage if you’re waiting until that late to start interviews.

I don't think Wren will let his top target slip away. Even if we wanted Mcguire he was tech bound once they offered. I would wait and see who becomes available. I like the idea of a Harsin, Neal Brown or Scott Satterfield type. 

Ill add that wren is connected heavily to mack rhoades. So would not be surprised to have some interest in Jeff Grimes. 

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I don't think Wren will let his top target slip away. Even if we wanted Mcguire he was tech bound once they offered. I would wait and see who becomes available. I like the idea of a Harsin, Neal Brown or Scott Satterfield type. 

Ill add that wren is connected heavily to mack rhoades. So would not be surprised to have some interest in Jeff Grimes. 

This would fly in the face of your previous thought that he would hire someone with HC experience.   I'd be very underwhelmed with Grimes.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Does anyone know how much money we save by waiting till the end of the season?

His contract extends through the 2023 season. If fired at the end of this season he'd be owed less than $1 million.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/college-football-hot-seat-coaches-replacements/

I don't think being fired during this season vs. after the season would make much of a difference financially.

• Thanks 1

Just because Wren may not make the announcement before the season's end doesn't mean that he hasn't contacted his favorite(s) and perhaps even interviewed them.  I think that he needs to talk to Don Lovelace soon to soften the blow and perhaps save the big contributor for similar contributions over time.  

I don't know why the AD has waited this long but I'd bet it has something to do with money.  It's obvious that this needs to happen ASAP or it may scare off another big donor and thousands of fans.  Wren is a very good AD and will do the right thing.  Although football may not be his forte I still that you will see a good/great hire.  The new football coach might want to wait until the end of the season to see what assistants are available.  I think that its doubtful that he would retain the entire staff.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Just because Wren may not make the announcement before the season's end doesn't mean that he hasn't contacted his favorite(s) and perhaps even interviewed them.  I think that he needs to talk to Don Lovelace soon to soften the blow and perhaps save the big contributor for similar contributions over time.  

I don't know why the AD has waited this long but I'd bet it has something to do with money.  It's obvious that this needs to happen ASAP or it may scare off another big donor and thousands of fans.  Wren is a very good AD and will do the right thing.  Although football may not be his forte I still that you will see a good/great hire.  The new football coach might want to wait until the end of the season to see what assistants are available.  I think that its doubtful that he would retain the entire staff.

I have no doubt Baker stays in very close contact with the Lovelace family all the time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Although football may not be his forte...

What do you mean by this?

• Upvote 1

On 9/17/2022 at 11:16 PM, NT93 said:

This!!!

If SL is here the rest of the year, Aune will get 99% of the snaps.  If you have an interim, there is a much better chance of “playing for next year.”

Why the hell would an interim “play for next year” knowing full well he is more likely than not gone next year? He will be trying to win now because he is essentially putting his resume on tape and interviewing for his next job.

• Upvote 3

On 9/18/2022 at 12:03 AM, BillySee58 said:

Not everything has to be public either. Texas fired Charlie Strong November 26, 2016 and hired Tom Herman November 27, 2016. As @Cougar Kingwill tell you, Texas already had Herman hired in principle well before that.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I would hope Cobbs gets retained. 

• Upvote 3

Seeing is believing.....This is what it looks like incase someone in the office isn't sure how to go about doing this (Credit: Arizona State University who has taken steps to keep their house in order).

470444241_ScreenShot2022-09-19at10_22_02AM.png.50ac1bccf78fbdd37395a8ed499d3fbf.png

Edited by Pseudo Nym
I didn't put the "I wish this was true" over the graphic but if it's that confusing then fair enough.
  • Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Why the hell would an interim “play for next year” knowing full well he is more likely than not gone next year? He will be trying to win now because he is essentially putting his resume on tape and interviewing for his next job.

I'm thinking of an interim (Bennett?) who takes the job with the understanding that they are just finishing up the season in that role and they have a directive from the AD to get guys experience and find the future QB.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

56 minutes ago, rcade said:

His contract extends through the 2023 season.

The source I linked to earlier was incorrect. Seth Littrell's contract ends on Jan. 31, 2023. I found a copy of it online and saved it on my server here:

https://workbench.cadenhead.org/media/seth-littrell-contract.pdf

The extension agreement that begins on page 42 and extends the term as follows:

Effective March 1, 2018, the term of this Agreement is extended to January 31, 2023, subject to Section 2.02 and to prior termination as provided in this Agreement.

It looks like he would be owed the remainder of his base salary if UNT fired him before that date, so it would be $112,500 for each remaining month since his base pay is $1.35 million.

Why is this guy not smiling all the time? Every day he wakes up knowing he's got another $3,698 and 63 cents in the bank.

• Upvote 1

On 9/17/2022 at 7:55 PM, BillySee58 said:

While I agree that there isn’t much to gain by doing it now, I also think there is something to lose by waiting until the end of the season.

Most high school players are signing by mid December so there’s not much left there if you wait to hire a coach until around that time (or after bowl season). Plus you don’t wait then getting too late a jump on the transfer portal.

I think the shape we are in the concern should be his ability to bring in transfers