When will we get the announcement that SL won't be retained?

southsideguy

You know what? As much as I think WB should fire SL, he is afraid because Lovelace likes him. Many of us would be hard pressed to fire someone if we think we may lose one of our biggest donors. Maybe we need to start blowing up Don Lovelace's and the other big money donors emails and websites about how pathetic this crap is to put pressure on them. At least it may help WB do what needs to be done. I don't know. I am just spitballing because I am just as angry as the rest of you about this bad, bad product. We are wasting talented players on bad coaches.

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 4

24 minutes ago, Venson said:

You know what? As much as I think WB should fire SL, he is afraid because Lovelace likes him. Many of us would be hard pressed to fire someone if we think we may lose one of our biggest donors. Maybe we need to start blowing up Don Lovelace's and the other big money donors emails and websites about how pathetic this crap is to put pressure on them. At least it may help WB do what needs to be done. I don't know. I am just spitballing because I am just as angry as the rest of you about this bad, bad product. We are wasting talented players on bad coaches.

Then phuck Lovelace. He can take his money and beat his feet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 5

24 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Wrong.   Fans need hope.  I think Nebraska fans are happy, even with the OU beatdown today,  just knowing there will be a change coming.  

That’s a good point 80. I just don’t know if it’s worth the extra dollars. We need money more than fan hope but it can’t become hopeless and lose fans forever. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Then phuck Lovelace. He can take his money and beat his feet. 

Let's take it a step further: look at the mass exodus of fans, season after season.  Potentially, have we run off 2-3 future Lovelace-level donors, because we are afraid to hurt the feelings of one?  What if there is a future Lovelace out there, one every year, and we are losing them because of one bonehead decision after another each season?

If we are trying to build on our exponentially large local fanbase, how does it make sense to scare each new generation off because of one guy's loyalty to SL?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I wish I could say I’m shocked, but I’m not. I didn’t fall for that 5 win run last year and knew that bowl game Littrell is more of what we were going to continually get. Some of us have wanted Littrell gone for years and I’m just glad everyone has seen the light after that disaster tonight 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I'd say at the end of the season.  There's not a lot to gain by doing it now.

While I agree that there isn’t much to gain by doing it now, I also think there is something to lose by waiting until the end of the season.

Most high school players are signing by mid December so there’s not much left there if you wait to hire a coach until around that time (or after bowl season). Plus you don’t wait then getting too late a jump on the transfer portal.

• Upvote 1

As much as I want to move on because I find litrell generally boring and uninspiring and not someone who promotes the program, we’re still 1-0 in Conference USA.

He still gets a chance to prove himself in conference play, even though we’ve been blown out in 2 of our non conference games.

Wren is a smart guy and I am sure he is thinking of all solutions right now. Unlike Nebraska who is going to get like $50 mil in tv money, we don’t have that luxury. 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I think you guys are underestimating how much the Lovelaces love UNT and how much they understand sports. When the time comes to make a decision on SL, I think they’ll be on board. Their business isn’t as successful as it is from not being able to make hard decisions.

They seem to understand wait and see very, very well.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 2

15 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

As much as I want to move on because I find litrell generally boring and uninspiring and not someone who promotes the program, we’re still 1-0 in Conference USA.

He still gets a chance to prove himself in conference play, even though we’ve been blown out in 2 of our non conference games.

Wren is a smart guy and I am sure he is thinking of all solutions right now. Unlike Nebraska who is going to get like $50 mil in tv money, we don’t have that luxury. 

I'm thinking "final" date would be after loss # 7.  That would be after @WKU on Oct 29 or @UAB on Nov 12 (depending on whether or not LT brings on Oct 15)

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

Wren should have done it in December.  He should have never been extended in the first place.  Rookie AD mistake!

Anyone with more than two brain cells should have fired Seth last year. As far as I am concerned Wren is on the Hot seat now. Wren needs to publicly take responsibility for this mess and make a change now. Or we should make a change with him. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

While I agree that there isn’t much to gain by doing it now, I also think there is something to lose by waiting until the end of the season.

Most high school players are signing by mid December so there’s not much left there if you wait to hire a coach until around that time (or after bowl season). Plus you don’t wait then getting too late a jump on the transfer portal.

This has been a conversation in other threads. If you fire SL today and plan to hire somebody soon for the sake of recruiting, aren't you limiting your pool of candidates considering the season is still very much alive for many potential candidates? You'd basically be resorting yourself to the unemployed list which isn't necessarily a bad list but still limits you. I realize plenty of coaches come to HC agreements during the season and take over at their new gig as soon as the season is over but that doesn't mean they'll be out recruiting for UNT today while they're still coaching elsewhere.

Other than them penciling in their future coaching staff here in Denton, is there really much of a recruiting advantage in firing SL today?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

I consider playing time for some of our guys who might not get it if Seth is still out here trying futilely to win games as something that could be gained from his dismissal.

This!!!

If SL is here the rest of the year, Aune will get 99% of the snaps.  If you have an interim, there is a much better chance of “playing for next year.”

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This has been a conversation in other threads. If you fire SL today and plan to hire somebody soon for the sake of recruiting, aren't you limiting your pool of candidates considering the season is still very much alive for many potential candidates? You'd basically be resorting yourself to the unemployed list which isn't necessarily a bad list but still limits you. I realize plenty of coaches come to HC agreements during the season and take over at their new gig as soon as the season is over but that doesn't mean they'll be out recruiting for UNT today while they're still coaching elsewhere.

Other than them penciling in their future coaching staff here in Denton, is there really much of a recruiting advantage in firing SL today?

Not at all (to your first question). TCU hired Dykes away from SMU at the end of November. Texas Tech hired Joey McGuire away in early November and he left Baylor mid season to start preparations for the next season as Tech’s head coach. The prevailing rumors around the coaching industry were that McGuire was our top target, but he was off the market before we had played game #9.

That’s the timeline we’d be looking at. It just gives you more time to interview candidates. These guys don’t wait until the season is over to interview.

And I’m not saying fire Littrell today. I’m just saying I think waiting until after a potential bowl game or after game 12 against Rice might put you at a disadvantage if you’re waiting until that late to start interviews.

• Upvote 3