***OFFICIAL UNT VS UNLV GAME THREAD***

Coach Andy Mac

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

Wren has made some incredible hires.  I want to see him make his first football hire, even if it is later than it should have been.

Granted, his men's BB hire is doing great things, but what other sports are we really excelling in? How many conference championships did we win last year? 

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

We are now playing for next year, Aune will be gone put in who will be with us in the future. Might well gets some games in since this season is a disaster

NT is actually leading CUSA at 1-0, why would you think NT should only be playing for next year?

They looked horrible and were horrible against UNLV, but there is hope they may get significantly better.

Don't read this as an endorsement for Littrell or any of the coaching staff, but I will wait till at least a couple of CUSA loses before I give up any hope for this team. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

NT is actually leading CUSA at 1-0, why would you think NT should only be playing for next year?

They looked horrible and were horrible against UNLV, but there is hope they may get significantly better.

Don't read this as an endorsement for Littrell or any of the coaching staff, but I will wait till at least a couple of CUSA loses before I give up any hope for this team. 

This perspective actually makes it worse for me because he’s right.  I will never root against my team, but if we do well in the pathetic CUSA, we may be looking at the same thing next year.  

I don’t think we’re very good, but we don’t have to be to compete in most of the games we have left.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, texx2818 said:

As I said before, every day Littrell sticks around is more proof that Wren should be next. Especially when you combine that with the horrible in game presentation, marketing…everything, really, except basketball.

Agreed - if Wren is going to continue to pass the buck on football and dealing with Littrell he's going to go down with the ship.

5 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

That is excellent, but is any better or worse during RV's tenure or his predecessors? 

Those who pay attention to the other sports can say that it IS better than during RVs time. He NEVER fires folks during the season (i disagree with that stance, but he has never done it, no matter how obvious the need), but his hires have all been at least as good as their predecessors, in most cases a clear upgrade.

Now, whether that would translate to football is another question. WB seems to only picks winners, but he also tends to use more money than the competition to hire them in the first place (almost always current head coaches at D1 programs) and then keep them around. NT has created the funds for that in those other sports. if NT has the funds to do this in football is debatable given the huge difference in money needed to do this in football. Then again, when SL leaves quite a bit of money comes open. However a decent part of that will probably be partially reinvested by its donors not in coaching but in NIL.

Edited by outoftown